5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from an underrated band!
Published 17 months ago by PurpleRain3121

3.0 out of 5 stars Acquired Taste - But Worth A listen
Published on 5 April 2013 by Graham Burgin

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from an underrated band!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Outland (MP3 Download)
First up, Spear of Destiny are an amazing band. Kirk Brandon has a voice that you would have a hard time replacing. They have many albums and each album is very different to the last. This is my favorite album of theirs (Religion being a close contender). Why this band aren't HUGE is beyond my comprehension. This album has brilliant rock songs in it, great for driving about with blasting in the car along with some beautiful ballads. "Never Take Me Alive" gave the band some success, with TOTP performances and radio play. Kirk Brandon's vocals on that song begin very solemn and heartfelt and by the end of the song he's hitting full on opera notes. A unique singer/songwriter if ever there was one. Other highlights is the upbeat anthem "Land Of Shame" and "Was That You?". These songs will be stuck in your head for days after listening to them! Then there is the ballads. "The Traveller" is maybe one of the most beautiful ballads you will ever hear. It also showcases Kirk Brandon's magnificant vocal range (which is even better today in my opinion). Two other highlights for me are "The Man That Never Was" and "Jack Straw". These are the last two songs on the album and it really has been a case of "save the best for last here". "The Man That Never Was" is an upbeat singalong, Kirk Brandon's vocals literally give me goosebumps when I hear what his voice is capable of here. And I can assure you after several live concerts, I can tell you there was no studio trickery in the recording of this album. But my favourite is "Jack Straw". Nothing beats hearing them double kick drums kick in when I'm driving along at night. Following the drums is the catchiest guitar lick you'll ever hear and more top vocals!

It's albums like this that make me proud to be a young person listening to older music. When you compare a masterpiece like this to most of the crap on the radio these days and the nonsense we are forcefed through the likes of the X Factor, etc...it's immense. This is real music. Who cares what age the album is....and who cares if it's not the "in thing" at the minute. If you love music and you want something different...try this album and I promise you'll find something on it you'll hold dear.

Keep on writing and performing Kirk, you are a legend and an inspiration!

3.0 out of 5 stars Acquired Taste - But Worth A listen, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Outland (MP3 Download)
Spear of Destiny are an acquired taste and not always easy to listen to but they do get your attention. I bought the vinyl album when it was released (many years ago) on the back of the excellent 'Never Take Me Alive' which is still the standout track here. I enjoyed the re-acquaintance with their music (as I did with The Best Of ..... which I had as a present recently). Overall I would rate "One Eyed Jacks" as a better album but this is a good value album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated Band, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Outland (Audio CD)
Great Album from a very underrated band, described as a `Punk` band but there music is more tuneful than most punk bands and have more to say. Most punk music was a kick back at `Thatcher's Britain` and this is no different except its not hate filled noise, its songs played and sung with feeling and with good lyrics. As good as, if not better than `The Clash`.(in my opinion)

Outland
Outland by Spear of Destiny (Audio CD - 1987)