5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 5 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
This is in my opinion the best Oysterband album. It was the first one I listened to and has been my favourite ever since. Songs such as "Movin' On" and "I look for you" are the best but the rest match up equally to make an excellent album. All good songs and well worth buying if you're into modern folk/rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection on a CD??, 6 Oct 2007
Matt Dalzell (Welland, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
I went about collecting Oysterband albums in a completely random manner...first buying Trawler which hooked me from the first listen. I then set out to find as many of their albums as I could. Holy Bandits was my next stop. Keep in mind that 'When I'm up...' had already been a big hit here in Canada thanks to Newfoundland's Great Big Sea. All in all, Holy Bandits, is in my opinion, the pinncale of the Oysterband's musical journey; it's the perfect mix of perfectly crafted pop songs, thought-provoking lyrics and it showed for the first time, a musical confidence they have never lost since. Highlights for me are 'Road to Santiago' which completely transport the listener to that rollicking journey in Chile, 'Moving On' with it's brilliant and haunting fiddle section, and the love and longing sung about in 'Rambling Irishman'

5.0 out of 5 stars flawless!, 9 Nov 2004
K. Morrison "kirmildew" (Lincs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
This album is brilliant. Every song stands alone as a unique and bloody well written piece. I have listened to this quietly in my back garden at night looking up at the stars, and turned up loud on the drive to robin hoods bay for a holiday. It works equally well anywhere!Wonderfully evocative, like a memory you cant quite remember and may not even have had. lovely lovely lovely. I think i have made my point- I'm off to Santiago to dance with a whore and a priest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oysterband - Holy Bandits, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
Bought this after buying June Tabor and the Oysterband's album Ragged Kingdom which I loved. This has a lot of more traditional folky songs which I'm not so keen on and it's not as interesting as the June Tabor collaberation. Pleasant for all that though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best played loud., 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
A lot of energy in the playing, but also subtle parts as well. The sort of music that would sound better if I had a better sound setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive high-energy folk-rock album?, 10 Feb 2013
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
Amplified folk-rockers Oysterband have crafted many fine albums over the years, including the recent 2012-release `Ragged Kingdom' featuring the exceptional vocal talents of June Tabor, the first such collaboration in many a year.

1993's `Holy Bandits' is arguably Oysterband's finest moment, the definitive album from the definitive British folk-rock band, adapting traditional songs to the amplified-loud musical style and including one or two compositions of their own.

From the opening bars of the get-up-and-dance jig `When I'm up I can't get down' to the closer `Blood Wedding' this album is a joy, with every track a potential hit-single. It's best to listen to it if you need to be woken up and energised, and is great driving music.

Feed it into the CD player, crank up the volume and enjoy. I defy anyone to listen to this album and remain seated!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catching up with old albums and found new favourites, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Holy Bandits (MP3 Download)
Catching up with back catalogue albums for Oysterband and found this gem. Don't think there's a bad tune on this album.

Recommended to any Oysterband fan and think a listen to this would make a fan out of many who have never heard of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best folk rock album ever!, 26 Jan 2008
This review is from: Holy Bandits (Audio CD)
This cd is an absolute joy, fabulous and inspiring, do yourself a favour, get with this band immediately!

Holy Bandits
Holy Bandits by Oysterband (Audio CD - 2010)