5.0 out of 5 stars Their most accessible..., 17 Sep 2002
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
Kim Deal, in her many manifestations (Pixies, Amps and Breeders) has made some of the greatest indie-pop tunes known. This offering contains most of them, eg cannonball, but if you're a Pixies fan i would go for 'Pod' or their newest, 'Title TK'.
'Last Splash' is their most commercial and therefore accessible album to date, but lacks the pace and general wierdness of the other two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testimony from a previous non-believer, 5 July 2003
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
I admit, i am a huge pixies fan, but i was always a bit hesitant checking out the breeders albums, as I wasn't a surfer rosa-fixated kim fan. 'Pod' had its moments, in the way that Beatles experimental albums do - but with 'Last Splash', i have to say that i'm in love. This is my new favourite album. There simply isn't a weak song. Its got early 90's coast indie, its got romance, its got rock, its got surf, its got attitude.
I take back my previous indifference to Kim - I'm a convert - let the adulation flow...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 10., 22 Jun 2009
MORTEN AASTAD (Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
A favorite of mine, of sorts, for quite a while. When I first got into Pixies it was around the time I was done with highschool, ca. 1990. But I kept hearing them and then not quite knowing who they were, it took a while longer, but then I saw the movie Pump Up The Volume and got to grips with who I wanted to buy. Here Comes Your Man and all that. So yeah, Pixies, hurray.

Now, as I said, I didn't know much about them, and back in the first half of the 90s I felt too old to buy "Smash Hits", I had lost MTV (and by now of course they don't actually play music anymore) and internet was still a few years away.

One day, on some channel I see this really (to me) cool hot indie chick play, along with a photo double, or twin, (who knew?) and some other people in a really fun video. But the song (Cannonball) really struck a chord with me. So, I may have thought I now had found some music not unlike Pixies or Smashing Pumpkins. So, i went out and I bought Last Splash by the Breeders. Enjoyed it for a while, and then someone stole it from me at film college in Denmark.

Getting it again, finally, I now know who Kim Deal is. She was, and is, the one who wrote fewer, but often better songs during Pixies first half life, then was told by the *leader* "no, only my songs! I'm so much better, this is my toy!", and then left par time to form the band The Breeders with her smack head twin sister. So, this was my oppinion by the way, here's what I think. This album is the best Pixies never made. If some guy had been a little more interested in his band as a project evolving, and less interested in bossanova and spacebeings, then someone else could have delivered these really snappy, right in your face songs, and the Pixies could have gone on and everyone would have, perhaps stayed happy.

That's my "theory". Probably full of holes, but I was using it all to project how much I like this album, and how I hold Kim Deal in the highest of regard.

Rock on! Or not, you know, whatever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere between brilliant and inspired...., 26 Jan 2002
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
After the demise of the pixies and the debut album Pod, we finally see Kim Deal really come into her own. For the Breeders she trades in her pixies bass guitar for a full blown electric, and takes on lead vocal, taking the name she and her sister kelley (who also plays guitar on the album) used as teenagers, and recruiting bassist Josephine Wiggs and drummer Jim MacPhereson the result is one of the most intriguing and promising rock albums of the decade.
Lyrically somewhat surreal but also incredibly clever, and with hard driving guitars, impeccable bass lines and consistent drum beats, every song is flawless.
From the hard hitting, fast moving and simply brilliant first single Cannonball, to the wonderfully melodic and yet guitar heavy Divine Hammer, this is an album which is eclectic and electrifying to the very last. I can't even say anything bad about the instrumentals, as they're all fabulosly crafted and far to catchy for their own good.
The Pixies were named as one of Bono's favourite rock groups, and were listed alongside Sonic Youth as one of David Bowies favourites, but nobody was prepared for the remnants to ressurect quite like this.
Kim Deal goes out to prove there's a lot more to her than being second string on the pixies, and the result, Last Splash, is a consistently thrilling and exciting rock album, showing that the Breeders flame burns hard and bright.
If loud, guitar driven, girl-led music of the alternative-rock persuasion is what you're into, I most definitely recommend this record, and even if it's not, I recommend it anyway. It's the perfect example that Kim Deal and co. are a breed apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Fresh now as when it was released, 2 Dec 1999
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
Through the nineties there have been a handful of albums which stand clear of the rest; albums which helped shape the music era in their time and remain as enjoyable now as when they first came out. Last Splash is one of those albums. The sound is a mixture of fast guitars, instrumentals, love songs and of course that legendary indie anthem 'cannonball'. Considering this album is now over 6 years old, it's aged very well. It's an album you will never be bored of playing. There are in my opinion few albums which compare to Last Spalsh in terms of originality and influence on their era; Rage Against the Machine's debut being another noticable one from the the nineties.The Breeders first album 'Pod' is good, and 'The Amps' have had their moments, but for any of the members of this band, this was their finest hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Girl-Guitar Pop, 6 May 2006
Steve (By DUNDEE Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
'Last Splash' is undoubtedly one the classic guitar albums of the early nineties, despite the fact that Ive never thought that Kim Deal had the songwriting ability of her ex-sparring partner Frank Black. At the time of its release, 'Last Splash' recieved more plaudits than Frank Black's solo outings. This can be put down to the ex-Pixies' frontman's eccentricity (which has seen him go further and further back in time with each album), whereas The Breeders' second album was much more in tune with what the music press were expecting at the time- grungy guitars, breezy vocals, and a kind of hipster coolness that pervades the record.

Furthermore, this album is a sonic treat- its exactly what you'd expect a guitar record to sound like (unless, of course, you subscribe to the Velvet Underground sound- a narrow tunnel of weedy fuzz). Instead, massive buzz-saw guitars and enormous, splashy drum-fills abound, but at the the same time there's a pleasingly rough-and-ready feel to the record, particularly on the instrumental 'Flipside' which has a lovely 'live' sound to it.

Indeed, it's the beefy sound which is the album's main asset, which bolsters the otherwise pretty tuneless opener "New Year." Ive never thought that the stop-start chugging of "Cannonball" was that great either, but then the album really picks up with the gorgeous "Invisible Man" and "No Aloha," which perfectly marry Kim's lovely voice with slow-burning, coruscating guitars. "Do You Love Me Now?" is another pop gem, and I'm also a great fan of "Roi," an experimental number of layered guitar noise which I think works beautifully. From then on, the album ranges between swaggeringly cool garage rock ("Saints" and "I Just Wanna Get Along"), to more bona fide pop ("Divine Hammer" and "Drivin' On") with a smidgeon of experimentalism for good measure ("Mad Lucas," which tips a nod to Sonic Youth.)

For any Pixies fan, its an essential purchase, but I think anyone who likes a bit of spunky guitar-pop could do worse than check out this little gem (and it's got great sleeve artwork too).

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a Tsunami than Splash, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
Eveything you always wanted U.S. music to be. So melodic, unforgettable, beautiful and magnificent. Mere words cannot do it justice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
An album with some great rock songs. Kim Deal's voice sounds great (even when speaking -"I just wanna get along" is a line I could listen to over and over). She does a great Debbie Harry impression at the start of Hag. Most tracks are short sharp rock songs.
My favourites - Cannonball (of course), Do you love me now?, Invisible Man and Drivin on 9 - a song with an unexpected country/folk influence
SOS and Flipside hark back to the Pixies, not a bad thing at all.

A few weakish tracks lost it the fifth star IMO but definitely one for any decent rock collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good seller, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
Fantastic price, great quality and condition delivery time very quick and efficient. Been after this album for a while so am very happy to put this on my iPod and reminisce over my days working in France. Thanks for the memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic., 12 Nov 2013
P. Connell "Phill." (Rochdale, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Splash (MP3 Download)
Great stuff from Kim Deal and her mates, which totally stands the test of time. As great now as when I first heard it.

Last Splash
Last Splash by The Breeders (Audio CD - 2035)