5.0 out of 5 stars The language of the flame itself, 11 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Vienna Concert (Audio CD)
I am not musically trained and so I can't offer a technical appraisal of Keith Jarrett's solo work, but I have found his music to be life changing. This is partly because I was unaware that sounds like this could emanate from a piano. As beautiful and uplifting as I have found parts of the Paris and Koln Concerts to be, the Vienna Concert in particular is a meditation that can stir the soul. The opening 10-15 minutes of the first piece are transcendentally exquisite, and in a strange way, even humbling. I think this is because experiencing the music is like being taken to a hidden and very special place inside oneself or else being allowed to share the "sacred vision" of the musician. The latter part of the first piece is dark and stormy. After the warmth and glow of the opening I find it evokes images of black forests windswept skies and jagged mountains. This is a place of emotional turmoil, doubt and existential angst all of which are brilliantly resolved in the exultant conclusion. The second piece is by turns menacing, brooding and contemplative. If the first piece touches the spirit (the flame Jarrett speaks of in the sleeve notes), the second rattles and then seeps into the bones. The Vienna Concert is an unforgettable masterpiece. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required listening, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Vienna Concert (Audio CD)
FIrst of all, I can't believe there are only four reviews for this seminal recording.

I've owned a copy ever since it was released - and to me, it's the finest of Keith Jarrett's solo recordings. The first half is just sublime, and so well balanced you'd almost think he'd worked out the ideas in advance (!). A meditative groove opens up and doesn't modulate for 15 minutes - Jarrett lovingly explores it in a way I can only describe as a prolonged caress. Then, the music shifts, and loses any tonal centre, before he unleashes the most incredible torrent of notes that gradually assemble themselves into a huge tune - it's like a massive flock of migrating birds that despite the confusion, make beautiful patterns. The closing minutes become a hymn.

If I had my way, I'd have this played at my funeral, and insist that they played every last bloody note!

It doesn't matter what this music is: it's essential, life-affirming, and deserves an hour of your best quiet attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine music!, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Vienna Concert (Audio CD)
I am writing this review while listening Vienna Concert on my headphones, not quite understanding how come that this truly beautiful CD gets only one review since 2006. Maybe less attention but certainly not less quality than La Scala, Paris Concert, Radiance and even the most famous Koln Concert. Simply different but equally beautiful. Real Jarrett fun would certainly have this one next to the titles I have just mentioned but in case you do not have it, do not be discouraged by the number of reviews. At least, I've increased it for 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to share, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vienna Concert (Audio CD)
Just discovered this amazing musician (a bit late, I know) fantastic to explore, share with others and relax by Thank you for good service

5.0 out of 5 stars Jarrett at his peek, 13 May 2012
Robert F. Laarman (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vienna Concert (Audio CD)
Almost as good as the Köln concert, but still better than a lot of pianoplayers.
Jarrett is a true master at playing solo piano.

Vienna Concert
Vienna Concert by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 2008)