5.0 out of 5 stars More Ambient Synth than anything, but great to relax to.
The previous reviewer got it in one. This was a dreamy, meandering album of two tracks. I too bought this on a very noisy clear vinyl LP and then replaced with a "proper" cut later (and now the CD).

Published on 26 July 2006 by DSR

3.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow synthetics
This music was created for the Festival for Mind, Body and Spirit in London, April 1979, which I was lucky enough to attend.
At the festival was a "rainbow dome" containing a coloured lightshow and water fountain, if I recall. I had the pleasure of meeting Steve, and came away with a signed copy, in clear vinyl, for a mere 2.99!
Alas the copy sounds quite poor...
Published on 5 Feb 2005 by Julian Guffogg

3.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow synthetics, 5 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rainbow Dome Musick (Audio CD)
Alas the copy sounds quite poor now, and compared with today's CD's sounds quite distorted.
As for the music.... There are only 2 tracks - one on each side of the original vinyl.
"Garden of Paradise" consists of lots of tinkling, spacey arpeggiated synth sounds. Steve actually plays a Fender Rhodes, and seemingly little guitar.
Waves and waves of synth sound roll in, and the music slowly develops. To be honest, its great music for going to sleep, or in a trance.
"Four ever Rainbow" starts with Tibetan bells and slow sweeping synths. Steves trademark echo guitar is heard, and about half way through a sublime riff emerges on spacey guitar. Its not like Gong however, and to be frank I don't think its one of his best.
Miquette seems to do all the work, and all credit to her, as the 1970's synths sound great.
Still I treasure the autographed LP I have, but very rarely play. Now as for "Fish Rising" - that's a different matter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful & Restful, 28 Jan 2010
J. Gilhooley (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rainbow Dome Musick (MP3 Download)
Years back I bought this at a car boot sale and even liked it as a teenager. Over the years the LP was lost in various moves/clear outs but recently I wanted it again. Both sides are slow, evolving, "mystical" pieces that are lovely. If you like your music loud & brash I would suggest this isn't for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Ambient Synth than anything, but great to relax to., 26 July 2006
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rainbow Dome Musick (Audio CD)

In a way, I wish Steve and Miquette had explored and developed this musical avenue further, before going down the funky, then techno dance route. They could have given Klaus Schulze a run for his money...

Anyway, this is a highly effective and pleasant one off for them, very ambient in feel, although "Four Ever Rainbow" gets quite heavy and almost cloying in the glissando dominated middle section, this bit being used at the beginning of the one and only gig I saw them perform. It's the kind of track one wants to turn up in volume slowly as the music builds and then back off again as it winds down a little. The other track, Garden Of Paradise, is lighter, with some lovely guitar work woven into the swirling textures Miquette creates.

I have to rate this as five stars, as I enjoyed so many an afternoon playing this quietly (some not so quietly) while I chilled out.

A must for synth/ambient freaks.

P.S. It's interesting how many reviews of Steve and Miquette's earlier work have been fairly recently (well post 2000) posted. Perhaps now is the time for their work to be more fully aknowledged. I hope so.........

Rainbow Dome Musick
Rainbow Dome Musick by Steve Hillage (Audio CD - 1987)
Click for more info