Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 May 2000
I heard a snippett of this on the Paul Jones program on Radio2, worth a try I thought! The CD is so good I've bought the other two albums in the trilogy as well. If you like melodic blues with a good beat, performed with enjoyment by a group of talented friends then this one is for you. "Struttin our stuff" is the first one, not quite so good as this one but still excellent, and "Groovin" is the third, possibly the best.
Driving home from work one Monday evening in May 2000, I heard a magic snippet of this on the Paul Jones program on Radio2, worth a try I thought! As it turned out, it was well worth it.

If you like melodic blues with a good beat, performed with enjoyment by a group of talented (and stellar) friends then this one is for you. It seems cruel to pick out individuals when the team works so well together, but Dave Hartley on piano is a genius, and I've not found him on anything else! My MP3 player for tube and bus changes its content regularly, but this set of tracks has remained in it unchanged all the time.

This import CD, the one with the railroad tracks on the cover, has sixteen tracks (the UK fourteen plus two extra bonus tracks), and is so good it set me on the road to buying more and more Rhythm Kings CDs including the other two albums in the trilogy, and various subsequent others including some concert recordings bought at their gigs. I was delighted to get Albert Lee's autograph on my second copy of this.

"Struttin' Our Stuff" is the first one, not quite so good as this one but still excellent, and "Groovin'" is the third, and when I first wrote the 28 May 2000 'A Customer' review (now out of my reach, hence this separate update) I thought possibly the best. Also well worth buying are Double Bill and Just for a Thrill.

But now after ten years of listening this one is my firm favourite out of all my Rhythm Kings CDs.

Addendum. Beware, Az has crossposted this review of the import CD (16 tracks) to the UK CD (only 14 tracks).
on 26 November 2013
This is the music to cheer you up during this long winter night.Tap your feet just like I did when I was young.
on 12 April 2009
If you like Jools Holland type collaborations then give the rhythm kings a go they are very funky.
on 26 May 2015