Whitney
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.90+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I've had this album in my life for years, I've listened to it more times than I can remember it's absolutely amazing, this album without a doubt spells out the word classic, even the generic 80's songs such as `I Wanna Dance With Somebody' and `So Emotional' have stood the test of time, I still hear `I Wanna Dance With Somebody' getting radio play on a regular basis. There's not a bad song on here, my favourites songs if I had to choose would be,'Just The Lonely Talking Again' classic, soft and smooth R&B, they really don't write songs like that anymore, 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' excellent Ballard with really nice lyrics and `Love Is A Contact Sport', upbeat catchy and energetic, very 80s love it as I do the whole album. This was Whitney in her heyday, this is the album that shaped Whitney Houston as a `pop princess' back in the 80's, without this album she may of not been quite the person she is today, I love her new material but boy you really can't go wrong with the classics.
on 28 April 2011
This, the second album by a music legend, is a formulaic, yet still stunning follow up to her 85' debut record. In 1987, it became the first ever album by a female star to debut at #01 on the Billboard Top 100, and it secured Whitney's position as the most prolific and gifted female vocalist of that decade, going 7x platinum in sales.

Track-listing:
01. I Wanna Dance With Somebody - The first single of the album, a #01 smash hit and now a stone-cold 80's classic, played the world over at celebrations. Very catchy, uptempo pop in the vain of 'How Will I Know' from the debut album.
02. Just The Lonely Talking Again - A standout track on the album with a soul-feel to it. It's a cover of an old Manhattens song, but like with 'Greatest Love of All' Whitney makes it totally her own, her voice is powerful and yet subtle here.
03. Love Will Save The Day - A fast, uptempo and urban dancefloor filler with Whitney showing off a much more forceful tone in her voice, growling and roaring her way through the song in a way only she can. Great track.
04. Didn't We Almost Have It All - Another #01 single. A bittersweet ballad that has become a kareoke classic, due to the instantly recognisable chorus.
05. So Emotional - Again, a #01 single. Whitney tried out a more rock-flavoured song with this, but it still keeps to the overall sound of the album and is playful and fun. Her voice is unbeatable here.
06. Where You Are - Another slow ballad, similar to the style of songs on Whitney Houston, the debut album.
07. Love Is A Contact Sport - A fast, catchy pop-song with Whitney showing of her vocal range over a shuffling rhythm.
08. You're Still My Man - Much like track 6, slow and sweet but does start to feel a bit formulaic.
09. For The Love Of You - Pretty with wonderful vocal style, but not as memorable as other tracks from the album.
10. Where Do Broken Hearts Go - A song Whitney herself hated, but that ironically became her 7th consecutive #01 single, breaking the record set by The Beatles. Whitney's vocals save the saccrine feel of the song.
11. I Know Him So Well - A duet with her famous vocalist mother Cissy Houston, but not a standout.

Flaws and All, 'Whitney' stands out as a worthy second album by one of the greatest singers in pop music history.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 June 2010
This album is an absolute corker!!! It's hard to believe it's over twenty years now since this, Whitney's second album, was released back in 1987. If Whitney was practising her craft on her debut, "Whitney Houston", a couple of years before, with this release she reached perfection. The production on this album...the sound...that voice!! A superb set of songs, this album went on to spawn five hit singles, "Didn't We Almost Have It All", "So Emotional", "Where Do Broken Hearts Go", "Love Will Save The Day" and the UK No 1, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)". Also included here is Whitney's cover of Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson's "I Know Him So Well", on which Whitney duets with her mother, Cissy. A stupendous album, and Whitney's best.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
While others may have different opinions, I regard this album as Whitney's finest album. It became the first album by a female singer to debut at number one on the American album charts, matching that achievement in Britain.
The album features five major international hits - I wanna dance with somebody (a number one hit in Britain and America), Love will save the day (a UK top ten hit), So emotional (an American number one hit and UK top ten hit), Didn't we almost have it all and Where do broken hearts go (both American number one hits and UK top twenty hits). Of these, my favorite is Didn't we almost have it all.
Whitney teams up with her mother (Cissy) for a superb cover of I know him so well. From the musical Chess, this was originally a UK number one hit for Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson. The other songs (Just the lonely talking again, Where are you, Love is a contact sport, You're still my man, For the love of you) are all brilliant.
Following an encouraging debut album featuring several hits including Saving all my love for you, I was really impressed by this album and had high hopes of a bright future that (from my perspective) never materialized although there were occasional great moments. Nevertheless, this album remains what it always was - a masterpiece.
on 22 April 2012
I totally agree with most of the reviews on here,this has to be her best album,ever,and her voice is beautiful,and powerful,and I still want to get up and dance,when I listen to,I wanna dance with somebody,who doesn't,it has to be one of the best dance songs from the1980s,and It is still fantastic,even today,these songs,are classics,and just never seem to date,so if you are now wanting,to start collecting some albums of her's,like many have wanted to since her death,then this is the one to start with,it is Whitney at her very best,no more to say!
on 9 January 2005
This has got to be Whitney's best album ever!! It comes at a time in her career when she has become a little more experienced, she has gained more control of her amazing voice and has developed her sense of style.
No song stands out as being weak and every song is releasable. If you did not know Whitney, you would not be able to pick the singles from the album tracks.
A classic CD and a must have for any fan!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2013
I bought this album when it came out and time has not changed my mind. I should have guessed really what to expect with a second eponymously titled album out of two, and so it proved. So what do you get, well for me Whitney's singing is fine and it's a bit more raunchy than the first album. Having said that there is a lot of 'formula' here and Narada Michael Waldon's production is so over the top and verges on crass. Waldon got it right with other material around this time (George Benson, Jermaine Stewart), but here the vocals and the accompaniment don't seem to complement, with the latter distracting or simply obscuring the former.

I Wanna Dance with Somebody. Great singing but the production acts like a bulldozer in the chorus and is getting dated even by 1987. Just the Lonely Talking Again. Cannot fault the vocals but what is that trippy meandering synth at the start? Uggh. The ballads are largely reruns from the first album, and how little do they seem to understand the Lloyd Webber/Rice ending song.

Perhaps Whitney's rebellion against her squeaky clean image and lifestyle is in hindsight no surprising given what is on offer here. But 7 million plus sales can't be wrong can they?
on 8 March 2007
It seems just like yesterday that I got this on audio tape and listened to it constantly because, at 11 years old, I was amazed at the clarity and range of Whitney's voice.

After having bought Houston's sophomore album again (this time around on CD), I'm still amazed at her voice and the fact that, unlike the current sorry crop of so-called "singers" who are force-fed down the public's throats, she didn't need her voice dubbed over three, four, and five times. She could carry a tune ... and then some over these overrated folks today!

I was introduced to this album via MTV's playing of "So Emotional." From there, I got the tape and came to love the entirety of the album, appreciating Whitney's voice more with each song. From there, I went on to her debut and was knocked out even more.

But whether it's soul, R&B, or straight pop, Whitney's voice is powerful and she can draw you into whatever subject she's wailing about. I'll never forget the comparisons between Whitney and Mariah Carey when the latter first appeared on the pop music scene in 1990. Take Carey's ultra-high note out of the equation, and it's a great match-up between these two.

One thing that has been hurtful to watch over the years has been Whitney's decline in full view of the public. She spent many years on an obviously unproductive relationship (I have nothing against Bobby Brown, but facts are facts), thereby relegating herself to the limelight and even becoming somewhat of a laughingstock.
on 28 June 2013
I discovered THE VOICE with this album, I was just a kid, and didn't know at that time how unusual was her voice and her beauty. I think i've listened to this record a milion times and I still enjoy, although now my feeling is bittersweet: i'm not a kid anymore and she's gone. In that time IT SEEMED WE COULD ALMOST HAVE IT ALL. I GET SO EMOTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And forget about the "whitey" sound. She was one of the fisrt black female singers on all radios worldwide with her videos. She was criticized when all she did was OPEN THE DOORS TO THE NEXT BLACK WANNABES.
IT'S A 10 song by song.
on 2 October 2013
I bought this CD for myself as I enjoy listening to Whitney's songs and I have the old vinyl version of this album. This CD did not disappoint...and I can play it in my car...I love it!