5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
This is one of my favourite albums of all time. Given that I don't usually like slow ballads it's surprising that 'Now Westlin' Winds' is probably my favourite track on here. If you like stirring folk music with superb guitar playing and passionate lyrics this is a good album to buy.
Published on 9 Nov 2001 by jackaldrin@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it just for "World turned upside down"
If you like "workers songs" this is for you. Powerful emmotive lyrics in a folk style.
Published on 30 Dec 1999 by fynes@yahoo.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Nov 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 July 2006
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
I got this album back in 1982, when it first came out. It sounds as good, fresh and timeless now as it did then. Every track is excellent. My favourite changes from time to time, but the one that has consistently tugged at my heartstrings is Craigie Hill. Please, for the good of your soul, give it a try. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Celtic folk music., 11 May 2004
Scott Mcgowan "scotmcg" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
I am a total jazzer, and even though I'm from Scotland I'm a bit wary of the "kilts n' shortbread" that can be associated with Scots/Irish folk music. I got this as it was presonnally recommended to me by someone who simply said he was good and I should listen to it, so I kind of shrugged and coughed up and when the CD arrived had some preconceptions about how I would react to it...
Make no mistake, this album is nothing more than an artist at the height of his powers. His guitar playing and vocals are just incredible.
It communicated such a powerful and beautiful musical message that this album, within a few days of hearing it, went straight into my top ten of all time (and I think I have only one other "folk" album in my collection).
It's a reminder that the old adage "there's two kinds of music... good and bad" holds true. This is essential listening, whether you think you like folk music or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 23 Jan 2000
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
I've had a crackly second-hand recording of this album since my teens, but I can't bear the idea of losing it - I need it on CD as well! Dick Gaughan's vocals are emotive, at times tender and at other times harsh. The album mixes songs with a strong political conscience with paens to home, wherever that may be. My favourite songs are 'The Snows they melt the soonest' and 'Both sides of the Tweed'. To add some objectivity, I have a friend who says that Dick's voice is like 'a pig in distress', she's wrong of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 30 Dec 2005
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
There's no need to be a folk fan to enjoy this, the strongest collection of songs you'll find anywhere. Wonderfully skilled guitar playing, simple arrangements and a powerful, emotion-charged vocal make this album indispensable for any music fan. If you're Scottish, you'll enjoy it all the more.

It's worth the gamble if you haven't heard Mr Gaughan before. Buy and be entranced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Jan 2010
H. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant CD. It is folk music at it's best. Though it was recorded in the 80's, the music and words are timeless and Dick Gaughan's voice is superb, even divine. One to have in any decent music collection for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not Scottish but so what?, 25 Sep 2008
Dr. Tim J. Edensor (Manchester UK,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
It's about time this brilliant collection was up there in the best albums of all time lists. Utterly universal music, politically charged, each song a gem and the most brilliant singing and guitar playing. No pretension and affected star-posing. I'm at a loss to understand why this superb work isn't as oft cited as What's Going On and Blood on the Tracks. The gut-wrenching use of Burns' lyrics in Come Westlin' Winds, the righteous lament of The World Turned Upside Down, the delicate sentiments of Erin-Go-Bragh and Both Sides the Tweed and the strident Workers Song. What more do you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourites, 8 Jun 2001
Andrew Bond (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
I was moved to review this when I noticed the average score was only 4*, which is a travesty! This album has been among my favourites for many years, and every track is a beauty, though standouts are 'Both Sides the Tweed' and 'Song for Ireland', and I often find myself humming 'Erin-go-Bragh'. Go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catch that Daft Rascal, He's Kill't the Police, 19 Oct 2010
Brian Hill (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (MP3 Download)
This was an album I listened to in the eighties as a battered and illegal tape copy. The tape has long since stretched to oblivion but the songs have stayed with me as has Dick Gaughan's eloquent and powerful radicalism. I think it must be him who rehabilitated socialism (with a small 's') for me from the dry and slightly cracked rhetoric of contemporary leftists. Derek Hatton gave me the boak but Dick Gaughan touched antecedents in radical thought, the early seeds of social justice, in ways that most fully paid up members seem to miss.

What have you got here? Erin Go Bragh is a fierce song against authority. Now Westlin Winds by Robert Burns is love song that celebrates nature. At its heart though, is a moment where the hand of man breaks the peace. Craigie Hill is about love divided when a man is leaving Ireland to make a living no longer possible at home. The World Turned Upside Down describes the crushing of the Diggers' uprising of 1649. The Snows They Melt The Soonest is a love song. Logh Erne / First Kiss at Parting is another song about leaving Ireland to escape poverty. Scojun Waltz/Randers Hopsa is instrumental. Song For Ireland is a simple celebration of Ireland. Workers Song is another fierce song about workers' exploitation. Both Side the Tweed is about Scotland's right to sovereignty adapted in 1979 to its present form when Scotland was denied it's own pariament on a technicality. In the end it symbolises our need for independence alongside that for friendship and co-existence.

A great album, and one that's help preserve the radical strand in my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up the workers!, 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: Handful Of Earth (Audio CD)
The world needs angry bitter beautiful passionate Marxist Scottish folk music now more than ever. Check out the Workers Song and The World Turned Upside down for a history lesson with cajones. Dick was described by Folk Roots as a 'one man Sex Pistols.'

Handful Of Earth
Handful Of Earth by Dick Gaughan (Audio CD - 2000)