4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Listen, 25 Mar 2006
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
I bought this album originally around 1994 when I was 14 and never listened to it as 1985 seemed so far away and irrelevant to me, plus they had just released 'I Say I Say I Say' which in my eyes was a fresh and more exciting record. I've since re-discovered 'Wonderland' and I have to say there are some outstanding tracks which I have played to my mates some nights and have gone down fantastically.
'Push Me Shove Me' has to be one of the best tracks from any band at that time, a blend of old school dance and dark urban Europop quite unlike anything else they've attempted. I wish the band had explored this particular sound a bit further as the singers voice and tempo works so well with Vince's beats and bridges.
'Cry So Easy', Andy's only solo writing credit with the band, see's the singer telling of his disappointment with his cold lover and although his voice sounds a little weak it adds to the theme of the song. I liked the recent acoustic rework of this track on the 'Boy' EP, although it will not appear on the 'Union Street' album which is a shame.
'Reunion', 'Oh L'amour' and 'Love Is A Loser' are a precursor of what was to follow over the next 20 years. Perfectly pop, perfectly foot-tapperble and perfectly sweet. The original version of 'Who Needs Love Like That' as the album's introduction sounds dated now, a better mix can be heard from the re-issue single on the greatest hits bundle 'Pop'. The lesser quality tracks 'March On Down The Line' and 'My Heart So Blue' plod a bit but make good fillers regardless.
Although you won't find it on the album, the B-side 'Don't Say No' from the 'Heavenly Action' single is another superb piece of old school dance, the remixes are also worthy of a blast late on a Friday night if you can hold of them.
All in all a good idea of where Erasure were on their way to in 1985 but also a chance to dream about where they could have gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder-ful debut album, 26 Sep 2005
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
1986? I beg to differ! It was released the year before, its follow-up, the more successful The Circus, finding favour with the public, mostly due to the immense success of their breakthrough hit Sometimes in 1986.
Vince Clarke is a genius. Easily one of the most original and talented songwriters of his generation, he's a modest bloke who nonetheless has been inspirational for what seems like an eternity. Forming Depeche Mode with some friends in Basildon, a bleak new town in Essex in 1980, Clarke quit them just as they became a major pop act, moving on to form Yazoo with Essex blues diva Alison Moyet. After two excellent albums and just eighteen months together, he and 'Alf' called it a day.
Eighteen more months of introspection and reflection saw Clarke try out new projects - including the Assembly's major hit Never Never (sung by Feargal Sharkey, now a UK government music advisor!) - he hankered after being in a band again and to play live. He even doubted his massive talent and considered packing it all in to become a carpenter. Originally Erasure was conceived as a continuation of the Assembly, with different vocalists being involved but fate was to take a hand...
Clarke auditioned dozens of potential vocalists and had almost given up by the time Peterborough lad, ex-choir boy and Clarke fan Andy Bell stepped up to the mike and the rest became history. The early Erasure were not immediately successful; releasing three singles (all featured on this album) which failed to dent the charts. They toured a good deal around the UK's universities and colleges and their hard work eventually paid off.
What's Wonderland like? It's a great album and a very strong (if overlooked) debut. Packed with stonking songs like (Who Needs Love) Like That?, Oh! L'Amour, Reunion, My Heart...So Blue and Love Is A Loser, it's difficult to see how it didn't succeed back in 85.
Clarke's songwriting is full of superbly melodic hooks, stimulating basslines and shape production values. Andy Bell's vocals come through loud and clear and are the perfect vocal layer, his lyric writing showing early signs of real insight and intelligence.
The partnership of Clarke and Bell is now one of the most successful of British pop history. Go back to the start and see how it all began.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good memories of my early days at University..., 25 Mar 2013
Protovicar (Liverpool, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderland (MP3 Download)
I went to Manchester University in 1986 and one of my new friends there, a Liverpool girl like me, had also heard Erasure getting airplay on Radio City. Unfortunately we only realised that we were both fans AFTER reading about their concert at the Hacienda. Apparently only 70 people turned up to see Andy Bell in a black leather bustier - a missed opportunity if ever there was one.

Anyway, my new friend made me a copy of her cassette version of this album, and I have recently repaid my debt to the copyright gods by buying it in MP3 format. I've been playing it a lot on my own, dancing badly around my living room and it's brought back some wonderful memories of my youth. If only it could bring back my figure and capacity for partying all night.

If you're of my generation, buy it and enjoy similar levels of nostalgic pleasure. If you're a youngster who's never tried any Erasure before, try this, experience the electro-thrill and don't judge your elders by the daft clothes they wore when they were your age. You'll be older too one day...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Listen, 25 Mar 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Erasure- a must for any fan!, 13 Nov 2001
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
This was the first Erasure album, released in 1986. It includes the first single, Who Needs Love (Like That), and also Heavenly Action and Oh L'Amour, which, although originally did not do well in the charts, have since become classic Erasure tracks! If you like some of the later Erasure songs, you are sure to love this album. It has the classic Erasure synth sound mixed with the 80s influence. In a word, its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS !, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant! Simple. The more i listen to these guys the more i love them. "Reunion" is a fantastic tune and i like it more than some of their bigger hits. This was part of a 3 disk set. The DVD is quality too. Vince looks very dapper. Thankyou Erasure for reminding me what i really do love listening too. All Hail ERASURE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Wonderland [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Super as always

5.0 out of 5 stars Laying hold of past memory, 28 Aug 2011
This review is from: Wonderland (1986) (Audio CD)
I have lots of Erasure's vinyl records. This pop electronic group never fails to surprise and entertain with each album. They released lots of Singles/Remixes which were cleverly crafted and easy on the ears. I am just recollecting this album and many other of their albums in CD format as I am no longer into vinyl. Wonderland - is a must have and one of their early classic with hits like Who needs Love like that, Heavenly Action, Oh L'Amour, etc.. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slight correction, 27 Sep 2005
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
Sorry. As the earlier reviewer stated, this album was indeed released in 1986 and not 1985 as I wrote. The Circus was released in 1987. I trust this clarifies matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant cd, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
yes probably there best album. every track is good. catchy tunes if your a new fan buy this cd. at there peak.

Wonderland
Wonderland by Erasure (Audio CD - 1986)