Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 January 2000
This was the first Erasure album I had ever purchased, bought on the strength of "A Little Respect" which was in the charts at the time. The songs have excellent vocals from Andy Bell, which blend perfectly with Vince Clarke's superb synthesized music. My least favourite track on the album is "Sixty-five thousand" which sounds out of place being an instrumental. Favourite tracks are "Phantom Bride" (great lyrics), "A Little Respect" (the reason I bought the CD), "Heart of Stone" and "Hallowed Ground" (very haunting lyrics and music).
If you like 80's synth-pop, you will love this album. What's more, this album still sounds fresh 12 years after buying it!
on 13 January 2003
Having heard an Erasure medley at an 80s night recently, I have finally gotten round to buying the Erasure back catalogue on CD. I own them all on cassette, but they're all in a box in the loft. I thought that a classic album such as this deserved better, so I have just ordered it (along with Circus, Wild and Chorus)so I can enjoy it all over again. Back in '88 when I was the tender age of 13, this was my favourite album, and "A Little Respect" remains one of my favourite songs, sadly it was recently slaughtered by some bloody awful American band whose name I can't be arsed to remember. There are some songs on The Innocents that deserve to be heard, like the superb Hallowed Ground, which is my favourite track off the album. If you're thinking of doing the same as me and buying this great album, do it.
on 29 November 2009
I have still got this on tape from 1988, I have followed the group since then. It does sound good on CD, and what is good about the Innocents Remembered is you get 2 CDs and a DVD of the Innocents live at the NEC Birmingham 15th November 1988, with previously unreleased footage. on CD 2 you get B sides,remixes & rarities re-mastered. CD 1 has The Innocents re-mastered.From the DVD you get MP3 give aways.
It is good to listen to and watch, but as I am an Erasure fan I cant decide between The Circus, The Innocents and Wild.
The Innocents Remembered gets a 10/10 from me.
on 5 June 2007
bought this album years ago after I had bought Wild and Chorus. Was only in my teens and saved up my paper round wages. I became a massive Erasure fan after getting Wild and Chorus and then went and bought all their back catalogue.

I listened to this album again the other day and had forgotten just how good it is. It still sounds as fresh today as did when I bought it all those years ago!

Some might say this is the album which really launched Erasure. And who could argue with that statement when when you have songs like a A Little Respect, Phantom Bride, Chains of Love, hallowed Ground, Heart of Stone, Yahoo and Imagination on it.

Some of the songs from their new album Light at the end of the World has a few chords and lyrics which are reminiscent of this album.

Anyone who doesn't have this album in their collection are losing out.
on 1 February 2000
from the opening to the end this is a classic cd. Stephen hague produced the album and it brings the best out of erasure.Phantom bride is a real gem with synths sounding better than ever.the whole feel is of a medievil time mixed with electro.
on 18 June 2008
I brought this Album, Not really knowing if i was going to know the songs, However to my amazment all the songs on ths Album ring bells, My brothers are Big fans of this group they even use to get there hair cuts like them and they are my brothers idols the only thing they couldn't copy was there sexuality. (No that rubbed off on me insead) I'm so pleased i got this Album. It always reminds me of my Brothers. This Album is just has cool has them.
Well maybe the album is slightly cooler than them hehe!!!
on 19 May 2009
I don't feel fully qualified to review this album, as it's one I grew up with from earliest childhood. As such, it is always going to have a small portion of my affections to itself. Even when I try to look at it objectively though, I can only think of this as near-perfect electronica.

Wheatus were chastised for butchering "A Little Respect", but that was never nearly the best song on the album. Thank God they left alone "Phantom Bride", "Hallowed Ground" and "Ship of Fools". I'm not really partial to gospel-tinged, heavily-produced eighties synth-pop, but this is tight, well-crafted and joyous. Andy Bell's voice is lovely and perfectly suited to music tinged with melancholy. The album may be best remembered for "A Little Respect" and "Chains of Love" but they are actually two of the weaker songs on offer here. The melodies throughout are memorable and the music uplifting. Fans of eighties pop will doubtless find much to please here, but this classic should be resurrected for all music fans to enjoy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2014
This album has a very religious undertone. The track "Yahoo!" in particular uses terminology associated with a religious sermon. Saying that the tracks "A Little Respect" and "Yahoo!" are brilliant! Very unique singles with a feel good factor. As I`m going to see my favourite band "Erasure" live at the end of the year it`s nice to start collecting these fantastic albums on CD as all my originals were bought on cassette-boo hoo. I can tell the sound is clearer. WOW!

Praise "Erasure" indeed! Thanks to the wizard of synth pop Vince Clarke I surely have another valuable gem to add to my CD collection. As usual Andy Bell`s vocals hark that of an Angel. Thanks again guys for bringing a smile to another fan`s face.

Bless you x
on 3 August 2014
Heard this album on Casette when it first came out in 1988,
Vince Clark inspired me to learn Keyboard, i was 12 and a huge fan, by 16 i had wonderland-chorus on cd.
then my taste changed when i heard Pink Floyd play live with P.U.L.S.E. i now play guitar but i owe it all to andy and vince
on 26 November 2007
I owned the cassette of this and since I am currently in an 80's timewarp I thought i'd get the cd.

I went to see Erasure The Innocents tour back in '88 so this cd has fond memories. It is classic erasure and I would probably rate this as their best album they have done.