5.0 out of 5 stars Great album in need of a re-release
A brilliant album from a sadly missed band..Well here it is, the one and only album by the most promising indie band at the time. This is a special edition with a second CD of 6 tracks never before released.
Published on 3 Mar. 2003 by Edward Hodson

2.0 out of 5 stars Really not great
There's just one good song (Pessimist...); the rest are really weak, with a very few okay exceptions. One or two psychedelic experiments, unbelievably. I like Sophie E-B a lot, but sadly can't rave about this album and am glad I bought it second-hand.
Sounds dated, amateurish and like a band that was still learning about making its own music.
Published 1 month ago by D. Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album in need of a re-release, 3 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
They wrote good poppy tunes (I Know Enough) alongside slower deeper tracks (You Get What You Deserve) without ever having the dreadful "filler" tracks that seem to plague so many albums. The greatest lyric is reserved for the superb final track of CD1 "How's That" with the brilliant lyric "Less trouble, less expense, more arguements, more pretense..when you're on your own." Its a solid first album from a band who showed great promise, not only here but with some great b-sides on their singles like "You And Me On The Run".
Unlike the previous reviewer though, I like "Bells for David Keenan" as is shows that the band were prepared to try other things apart from the 3 minute pop song unlike other bands of the time (Sleeper, Elastica etc), but its horses for courses I suppose:)
The real bonus is the second CD which has six tracks:
Mr. Doasyouwouldbedoneby and I Know Enough are original versions (before they were reworked in the studio for the original album.) A Pessimist is Never Disappointed is a Blah Street acoustic version and You Get What You Deserve, Keep In Touch and I Can see Clearly are piano versions.
These versions aren't just for a theaudience completist however, they are good songs in their own right, simply played slower or with different instruments than on the album, bringing a different aspect to them, especially the final 3 tracks with just Sophie and a piano performing.
I hope this does get a re-release now that Sophie is hitting it big again, as this album still contains some of the best songs, not only in indie, but in pop music today.
They had quality lyrics and catchy tunes...one of pops great "could have beens". If more advertising money had been spent, who knows....
Good luck Sophie, Billy, Dean, Kerin, Patch and Nyge in whatever you're doing now. And thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band in Need of a Reformation !, 18 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
Released in 1998 and, barring what seems to be an unlikely reformation, this album will sadly go down in history as the only one released by Sophie Ellis-Bextor's former band. Sophie, of course, has gone on to find fame as a solo artist - and while her solo releases are hitting higher chart positions I must admit to preferring what theaudience had to offer.
theaudience had six members and, as an indie-guitar-pop band, were lumped in with the Britpop movement. I bought the album in a fit of curiosity after hearing 'Groovejet', discovering it to be a definite 'grower' - the more I heard it, the more I grew to like it. The songs managed to be lyrically clever, without sounding pompous, tuneful, without any gratuitous guitar / keyboard / drum solos and totally lacking in vocal histrionics. I find it a bit confusing that an album of this quality was relatively ignored.
As far as I know, four singles were released by the band, all of which are included on this album. A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed and I Know Enough (I Don't Get Enough) were probably catchier than the others (I Got The Wherewithal, If You Can't Do It When You're Young), but for me there better songs on the album – especially Mr. Doasyouwouldbedoneby, Keep in Touch and You Get What You Deserve.
An album to listen to while relaxing late at night – not one I ever expect to get tired of !

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome album, 15 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
I have to say that this is my most favourite album of the last times. I consider it to be a real great mistake for theaudience to have disapeared, even though sophie began a solo career, and i also gotta admit i'm a huge fan of miss bextor; i even love more theaudience stuff, although i'm aware most of the songs were written by billy reeves and not by sophie.
I completely recomend this album, which one is a perfect mix of rock-pop, genre that britains know as indie as i've noticed.
So, i'd advise to sophie, and all the band members, to try a re-meeting of the band and try to make some new material, but now with the real help of sophie, not just her lovely voice. And i'm pretty sure this band would become a great sucess with the proper ways to make it more well-known, not just in UK, but worldwide.
Sorry about my english if there's anything wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique sounding prelude to SEBs pop career, 30 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
If I had joined theaudience in 1996/97 (whenever they formed) I'd be feeling pretty robbed right now - why, because with choons like this and an stunning urbane starlet fronting my band I would have expected to be living the high life by now.

However, after moderate success in indie circles they seemed to fade leaving only a handful of singles and this varied and interesting album for posterity. With lyrics like ("Stewards of plus ca change", "I can't believe you keep in touch with computer brood") delivered in treacle like vocals and married to great hooks you can easily listen to this album from start to finish. The only track I sometimes skip is the menacing "I Got The Wherewithal" - this was an audacious debut single but my least favourite track.

Of course SEB went on to give us some fantastic pop gems a few year later in her pop guise but this album shouldn't be overlooked. Whilst not 'perfect pop' like her later output this album could be labelled 'melodic indie pop'. The hooks are still there but just more obtuse. There are the immediate indie disco singalongs like "A Pessimist...", "Now That You Are 18" and "Shoebox Song" but also some less immediate growers like "Keep In Touch" which ultimately prove more rewarding.

So while I admit I first got interested in this band after seeing Soph draped across the bonnet of a vintage Saab in a twinset and pearls I'm glad to say my instincts were good and even though his album tanked commercially its become one of those indie secrets only a few who took the time to investigate are rewarded by.

5.0 out of 5 stars theaudience.., 17 May 2003
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
Well what can i say, a very good album! Sophie Ellis bextor is the lead singer of a six piece band *including her* and Billy Reeves mainly wrote all the songs. The songs that stand out to me are mainly "shoebox song" and "a pessimist is never dissappointed", but overall the album is really good and well worth a buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Have Been A Hit, 24 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
I discovered this band by accident back in 1998 because their drummer had been in one of my favorite bands, the Sundays. They appeared just at the end of the Britpop period. We didn't hear about them at all in the US, and I guess they didn't do a whole lot in the UK either. The music is straight-forward pop-rock and at times recalls 80s bands like the Pretenders and Blondie. There is not a weak track in the set, and even their b-sides are terrific. They also recorded a second, unreleased album (Quiet Storm) that also has great tracks that are available on the Internet. Definitely worth checking out for fans of uptempo guitar pop-rock. Her work with theaudience is far superior to anything that Sophie Ellis-Bextor has done as a solo artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent variety of styled songs delivered superbly, 6 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this album I was unsure what to think but once you have listened to the first few tracks, especially 'I KNOW ENOUGH', you realise what a wonderfully crafted album this really is.
The album also brings that extra special touch with adding a second disc with special extended version of some of the songs.
The variety of tunes is something of a breath of fresh air compared to most albums around today. There is such a difference, ranging from dance style tracks to real indy styles this really is a must-buy.
With the vocals of Sophie Ellis-Bextor as the lead this album should have made it to the top. if the album was re-released then I am positive that this album would certainly make the top 10 at least, giving Madonna, S Club, Steps and all other bands a challenge for that number 1 album position.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really not great, 3 April 2015
D. Spencer "Big Dave" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 May 2014
I. Fern (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
S.O.B. at her best - buy this cd and enjoy, Really great collection of Miss "S" songs, really love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Theaudience (Audio CD)
i like her solo material better, still a decent album.

Theaudience
Theaudience by theaudience (Audio CD - 1998)