5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best album Jon Lord has ever produced.
Published on 29 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Jon Lord
one of his later works verging on or at least with classical nuances.This will take a few sessions to get into - even so it's no "Gemini Suite".
Published 22 months ago by P. S. Addison

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best album Jon Lord has ever produced., 29 July 2001
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
Starting with the haunting opening that is Sunrise and leading into Pictured Within this is a very moving very personal album that anybody who has suffered loss of family or friends can relate to. Recent rumours of Jon Lords Retirement from Deep Purple were not true. However as a massive massive DP fan I have to say the blow of his retirement would be softened greatly by an album of this quality every couple of years. The pieces on this album are all brilliantly crafted and unmistakebly Jon Lord. Miller Anderson and the ever brilliant Sam Brown provide the lead vocals on three tracks. It is no good reading about this album you must listen to it to appreciate it. How this album was not shortlisted for any awards in 99 or 2000 I don't know. Actually judging by what was up for awards it was probably too good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly beautiful, 4 Nov. 1999
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
This CD never fails to inspire me. The music speaks to secret parts of my soul that need to communicate, but have never known how---until now. Individual performances are nothing short of masterful. A perfectly balanced journey for the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon Lord - Music for Heart and Soul, 16 April 2003
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
I read about this CD before it was released and being both a long
time fan of Deep Purple and also having enjoyed Jon's previous solo works (notably before I Forgot) I was keen to hear this
I bought this CD on the day my father died and this CD was very
much music therapy as i could relate to the emotions portrayed so
openly in the music and lyrics the initial opening track carries
a melody so haunting that it deserves wider acclaim and when this leads into Here be friends (the opening lines of the second track) it is such a tender moment that it almost defies description, Sam brown contributes two excellant vocals to
similarry striking tracks
This must have been a labour of love for Jon and it certainly shows, I cannot reccomend this CD enough, music can stir and calm
the savage beast and this is a CD to inspire, enthrall and above all to experience - this would definately be on my Desert
Island Discs
Buy without hesitation and allow the beauty of this CD to
seep into your heart and soul - yes it really is that good

4.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 11 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the positive reviews here; I only own two DP albums and previously no solo Jon Lord music at all, so I'm hardly a "gushing" fan, but I listened to this on Spotify (and here's the trick - WITH AN OPEN MIND) and I loved it, I downloaded it immediately and it's been on heavy rotation in my car ever since. It is melancholy, atmospheric and romantic yet also heart breaking, a lovely, emotional piece of classical music that touches on all levels. Looking at the price this CD is changing hands for looks like most people agree that this is one to look out for.

By way of something different this made a refreshing change for me having just gone through my 're-listening to everything Led Zeppelin' phase; this has proved to be a nice counterpoint to that.

If you like classical music but want to hear something different, you can do a lot worse than give this a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon Lord: Pictured Within, 4 May 2014
Neil Frost (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, I am technically unable to write one review for two items, so my review here also very much covers the 2004 follow-up Beyond the Notes.

Several images spring to mind whilst I listen to Pictured Within. One is that of Jon Lord retiring to his hotel room following a sold-out arena concert and a few late-night drinks with his Deep Purple cohorts and experiencing a feeling of personal unfulfillment at what has gone on in the last few hours. The search for something else.

Although I had liked Purple's material, I had not taken to them in much the same way I had to the likes of Pink Floyd or Yes. I had certainly not paid any special attention to their founding member and keyboard player, admiring instead the talents of his contemporaries Richard Wright and Rick Wakeman respectively.

All this altered in June 2011 following a concert given by students of the Baden Württembergische Pop Akadamie at Salem Castle here in Germany: their special guest was no less than Jon Lord. A medley of Deep Purple classics formed the encores, whilst the main part of the concert consisted of solo work by Mr Lord.

I was immediately taken by the quality of the music and after searching on the net, discovered that most of it had been culled from two albums: Pictured Within and Beyond the Notes.

Solo efforts by members of successful groups can be quite diverse. Some gather a selection of superstar collegues around them to create an economical version of the parent group. Others choose an ethical musical genre to produce music which satisfies the artist, yet not the casual fan.

In the case of Jon Lord, he has returned to the roots which formed the basis of his original musical education, namely the Barock works of Johann Sebastian Bach and Georg Philipp Telemann. Indeed, the music as a whole reflects not so much Jon Lord the keyboard-playing superstar but rather Jon Lord the composer. To achieve his aims he has surrounded himself with some very talented musicians, creating what is sometimes akin to a Barock ensemble, sometimes a swing combo.

The tracks are neatly divided into 4 subtitled groups, each containing 3 pieces. Highlights for me include From the Windmill, Circles of Stone and Menorca Blue. Evening Song, with lyrics written and beautifully sung by Sam Brown, feature wonderful violin and cello solos.

Some of the pieces I can imagine being performed at a funeral and Jon probably had this in mind when he composed Music for Miriam, dedicated to his late mother. Having lost both my parents in the last 5 years, the images that go with such an event, plus the feelings they arouse are rekindled in me through this music. An extended version of Music for Miriam appears on Beyond the Notes.

But all is not doom and gloom as a wry sense of humour shines through via the sleeve notes to both CDs. What strikes me is that the music is worlds apart from Deep Purple. That this is the case may alienate potential listeners, but one must realise, that artists generally step out of the constraints of their parent groups to produce music that satisfies themselves without having to compromise with their collegues.

I'd like to conclude by quoting from other reviews here, as I find they express exactly my feelings about this music:

"This music is at peace with itself."
"It is melancholy, atmospheric and romantic."
"Allow the beauty of this CD to seep into your heart and soul."

Jon Lord sadly passed away just a year after that concert at Salem Castle and the music world was deprived of yet another talented force. Both Pictured Within and Beyond the Notes provide musical epitaphs to his talent. Jon Lord: Rock and Rest in Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, peaceful and heartfelt., 18 July 2012
sussexbowler (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
If you want to hear something beautiful, then I'd suggest listening to this.
It's not perfect. Infact, I'd suggest only listening to 4 tracks off the entire album! But those 4 tracks are, well... sublime.

'Sunrise', 'Pictured within', 'Evening song' and 'Wait a while' (Tracks 1,2,6 and 9) are the four concerned.

This is music at peace with itself. There's never a need to rush. It's Gentle, peaceful and heartfelt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album ever made!, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
Its now 12 years since I purchased this album after hearing the title track performed at the Concerto for Group and Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall in 1999.
It is still the most played album I own. It is still the most inspirational album I have ever heard, it can lift you out of depression it can make a good mood even better. It can make you cry and smile. I have been a Deep Purple obsessive since the age of 12 and never thought I would like any album more than a deep purple album. If I had just one choice to take to my desert island, this is it. I was lucky enough to meet Jon Lord a couple of years ago in Lichfield and say thank you for this album. He gets a lot of people coming up to him and saying it apparently. It has touched just about everyone who has heard it that much. Why isnt it Sir Jon Lord? Mind you if Mick Jagger gets a knighthood is it really worth having one.
So to summarise. This IS the greatest album ever made. Truly a work of genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have I listened to such a piece of sheer Joy, 11 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
I found out about Jon Lord and this CD the week it was released on a radio interview. The next day I prceeded to buy the CD. This was 2 years ago, it still holds pride of place at the top of my CD collection. It is complete and utter reflection on all that we see to be the reason to live. "If you buy one CD in your lifetime, by this, even if you havn't a CD player" It is amazing..... listen, and learn.....

4.0 out of 5 stars deeply moving from Jon Lord, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pictured Within (MP3 Download)
This is modern classical music with a certain depth and intimacy that you won't find anywhere else, I think. There's a certain sadness and melancoly to Jon Lords music that some might find heavy going, but there's real strength and beauty at the heart of it that make it a very satisfying and pleasing listen. I don't know how spiritual Jon was but this music is unmistakably good for the soul. I personally don't favour words and lyrics in classical works but that might be the thing that makes it for you, everyone's different, so Evening Song, Crystal Spa and Wait A While are not my favourites (thought the title track, words and all is very beautiful). However I think that all the other tracks are absolutley outstanding, especially Circles Of Stone and Menorca Blue. I never was a Deep Purple fan but I have recently developed a huge appreciation for Jon Lord's work. If you like moving, meaningful and emotional music this will touch you deeply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jon, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jon Lord - Pictured within (Audio CD)
Although, I already had this, I neaded to replace my old copy that was damaged. I'm a huge Jon Lord fan, and this is possibly his finest solo work. With his passing on 12 july It seemed appropriate to ensure that this wonderful musicians works are complete. I have a favourite track 'Music For Miriam' which he composed for his late mother. As I also have suffered my Mothers sudden departure, this track is especially comforting. The whole album is a joy, I only hope that many others listen without predjudice to this album and realise that this man was not just a keyboard player in Deep Purple but, a genuine all rounder whose influence was a blessing.I'm now awaiting The release of the re-recorded Concerto for Group and Orchestra, in 1969 when it was first shown it filled me with wonder. I'm sure it will again.

Jon Lord - Pictured within
Jon Lord - Pictured within by Jon Lord (Audio CD - 1999)