5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful!, 13 Mar 2003
This review is from: I'm Still in Love With You (Audio CD)
"I'm Still In Love With You" has everything going for it, it really caught Al Green at the very height of his powers and it continues to sound amazing today. Released in the year of my birth, I grew up listening to this album and have never tired of it.
Musically, it is excellently inventive and diverse - the horns and strings of the opening (title) track is followed by the bold, funky drum of the quirky and sweet second number "I'm Glad You're Mine". Later there is the magical acoustic bass tone accompanied by shimmering organ which underlines the mesmerising serenade "Simply Beautiful" .
"Love & Happiness" is probably the best known track on here, but that sublime moment when Al tells us "...it makes you wanna dance..." is true for a few numbers on this album. The smooth velvet rendering of Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" for instance - one of two truly definitive cover versions - may also find you shuffling inexpertly across the living room.
In spite of all this though, "I'm Still In Love With You" is probably cited by most as primarily driven by wonderful lyrics and a truly one-off vocal talent. I want to sing out every word of these songs when I hear them or think about them, and whatever I actually sound like, in my mind I sound as good as Al!
Whether the song is upbeat or melancholy, this is music to feel good by. If you're new to Al Green, I would recommend this as the very best title to acquire.

5.0 out of 5 stars a soulful masterpiece, 5 Mar 2003
This review is from: I'm Still in Love With You (Audio CD)
I'm fortunate to have grown up with music always being in the house and i can remember my father playing this album and i loved every note! The beats, stings, horns and vocals still sound wonderful, there is truly only a handful of albums that can compare to this. Give your cd collection some class! Highlights of this album are: "Look what you done for me", the drum beat on "So glad you're mine" and the vocals on "Still in love with you"
Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, 1 Jan 2009
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This album is as finer slice of Soul as has ever been recorded. Since it's release in late 1972, it has come to regarded as a classic, and even if you have never heard the album in it's entirety, you will almost certainly have heard tracks from it featured on samples and soundtracks.

Al Green's work with Willie Mitchell had seen the release of 3 albums, featuring several hit singles. Those albums each refined the Southern Soul sound a little, allowing Al to develop his songwriting talents and find his own voice - and it all came together on "Still In Love With You".

From the beginnning, Al Green's trademark vocal delivery swoops and soars around the Hodges Brothers rhythym tracks, sometimes driving on , as on "Pretty Woman", sometimes coming almost to stop, as on "Simply Beautiful". When he sings a song, Al makes it his own, and never more so than on Kristofferson's "For The Good Times", which he turns into a Soul tour de force. Hits from the album include the title track and "Love and Happiness", but it's not about individual tracks, as this album is one which deserves to be heard as one.

If you are into Soul music, then your collection is not complete without Al Green's "white album"

5.0 out of 5 stars The silky Green's classiest album, 14 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: I'm Still in Love With You (Audio CD)
Let's Stay Together's glorious follow-up sees Green's sensuous and "Simply Beautiful" voice and the Hi Records backing band gel perfectly, especially on the title track, and the surprisingly great cover of "Oh Pretty Woman" while that drumming intro to "I'm Glad You're Mine" shows the talent of Green's band, even though his voice reigns supreme. One of soul music's premier artists at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars If in Doubt, listen to AL, 6 Aug 2004
This review is from: I'm Still in Love With You (Audio CD)
Four words say everything.....
Al Green IS soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Al's finest hour, 21 Sep 2001
This review is from: I'm Still in Love With You (Audio CD)
Without doubt one of the finest soul records ever committed to vinyl. The whole album showcases the multitalented Green, who's voice is something to sit back and let wash over you in a tidal wave of soulful balladry. But why, we must ask, was the rather flaccid version of 'Oh, Pretty Woman' included? It is a pale shadow of the original, and makes Green seem like a man watching from the shadows rather than engaging the lady inquestion; a stalker not a lover. Still, this is quibbling. The rest is marvellous.

ARRAY(0xa61361a4)

I'm Still in Love With You
I'm Still in Love With You by Al Green (Audio CD - 1998)