WIDE OPEN SPACES
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£6.66+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 March 2002
This is definetly the best country music album you can get. It sounds much more modern than a lot of other country music you hear and every song is beautiful. It didn't suprise me to find out recently that this album got into the record books for being the best selling country album of all time, selling something like 20 million. Buy it and even people who think they hate country music, listen to it and you'd probably change your opinion of it.
on 28 January 2001
Having seen the performance of what has to be one of the most emotional songs ever written, "You were mine" I was sold on the Dixie Chicks and a listen to the album had me sold on country music. I have bought lots of country music since but this is still the best album I own and it will take another exceptional talent to change that!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This was actually the fourth album by the Dixie Chicks, but the first on a major label and it was also the first since Natalie joined the group. It features many great tracks, including covers of songs previously recorded by Elvis Presley (Loving arms), Marie McKee (Am I the only one who's ever felt this way) and Bonnie Raitt (Give it up or let me go). All those covers are quite impressive, given the distinctive Dixie Chicks treatment. However, it is the original songs that really are outstanding.
The album even yielded a British pop hit (There's your trouble) which is not easy for a country act to achieve, especially one that owes so much to the traditional roots of the music. Somehow, the Dixie Chicks found a way to sound sufficiently contemporary to appeal to people who normally don't like country music, yet still managed to sound traditional enough for the majority of diehard country fans.
Apart from There's your trouble, I can love you better, Wide open spaces, You were mine and Tonight the heartache's on me are other notable highlights, although every song here would be a highlight on most country albums – that's how strong this album is.
Whether singing ballads or up-tempo songs, the Dixie Chicks set a standard that others can only dream of matching. The years of obscurity paid off in a big way with this, one of the best country albums ever released.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Introducing us to their rhythmic and melodious country/rock style, and their infectiously candid and assertive manner that would later get them rather unfairly into political hot water, the feisty Dallas trio's first mainstream album is a fantastic example of country music that has been made accessible to a wider audience.

The Chicks are entertaining, they sound as if they really had a lot of fun making this album, and their performances are full of spirit and energy - they're a joy to listen to. The album also has heart and soul, there's a lot of humanity in the lyrics which might not be immediately obvious to the casual listener.

However, I did feel that they were holding something back on these recordings, there was even more life they could have injected into their performances. The Chicks have some clearly talented musicians working with them, I would have liked to have heard that talent come out more often.

That said, some tracks have the same energy as a live performance, particularly the last one "Give It Up Or Let Me Go", which is an excellent closer to the album and leaves you in an upbeat mood, wanting more. This demonstrates I think, that here's a band that knows how to put on a great show, whether it be in a recording studio or at a live concert, and their music is perhaps best enjoyed from that perspective.

I actually prefer this album to Home (2002), which sounded just a little more laboured, and as a result a little less entertaining. If you're new to the Chicks, I'd definitely start with this one.
on 22 November 2006
This is the first of four classic albums by an amazing band. I only heard of the Dixie chicks by word of mouth, I'm so glad I know about them because the have made some of the greatest songs of all time.

You cant put into words how great these girls are, you just gotta give it a try and you will not regret it. I bet you would also buy their later albums.

Every song is without fault, just classic country rock.

I've had this cd for years now and I still listen to it, its something that you wont get sick of.

Songs like `let er rip' and `Loving arms' are brilliant, they all are.

Well worth owning.
on 8 January 2004
This album is truly OUTSTANDING! The songs her the best of traditional country music. The singing is angelic and the songs are so tasteful and well written.
The album starts with the wonderful "I Can Love You Better", this is country perfection and can compete so easily with some of the biggest country legends.
"Wide Open Spaces" is beautiful, the best song on the album and the voice is so heartwarming and soft it just melts you away. "Theres Your Trouble" is slightly more upbeat and very catchy, so much so that i can't resist singing along. Of the ballads theres the beautiful and heartfelt "Loving Arms" which is brings a tear to your eye, but because your enjoying it so much not because it depresses you. "You Were Mine" is an instrumental song which can be very enjoyable even without singing, the girls are talented musicians. "Give It Up Or Let Me Go" is so fun and catchy that i sing along every time and it would be enjoyed emensly by lovers of country music.
"Let Er Rip" would do you good, i enjoy this song so much and i don't get bored when i get this far into the album. Let me also put in a good word for "Am I The Only One Who Has Ever Felt Like This", i love it.
This album is a credit to country music so give it a try. If you want Shania Twain style country then this isn't what your looking for but i love Shania Twain and i love this.
on 2 March 2002
the first time i heard the dixie chicks was when i was staying in new york and i thought it was the best music ever. im not usually into country music but this is really cool and it makes you feel great whatever mood youre in. their other album "Fly" is also brilliant. there are a mixture of love and upbeat songs on both albums. they also play their own instruments which makes them really unique these days. buy it and you wont be disappointed lol!
on 8 March 2001
I like rock, heavy rock and pop so it may come as a surprise that I got into country when I was in Florida (I hate Dolly Parton though). I heard a good bit of Dixie Chicks on the radio and was instantly seduced by the Dixie Chicks and Martina McBride (and a few more like the Wilinsons. Diamond Dio, Alan Jackson and Lonestar). But the Dixie's were the best. (Girls if you are reading this please invite me to the after concert party when you play in the UK.) This is their best album. Fly is also ace. What the hell, buy them both! These girls are modern country and a million miles away from that cliché Nashville sound. You won't regret buying this album so go straight to the shopping basket!!! Chris Arnold, Saatchi & Saatchi, London.
on 20 October 2000
The Dixie Chicks are something very special indeed! Plucked from busking on the streets of Chicago and put in a recording studio which is where they belong! Natalie Maines delivers such perfect vocals as do Emily and Martie on harmony. My favourite track is 'I'll Take Care Of You' simply because it is such a beautiful song!
on 22 January 2015
It's confession time. Much as I try to deny it, I am a closet country music fan. I blame the influence of my father, who honestly believed that the antidote to my mother's constant playing of Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard records lay in the songs of Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers and Crystal Gayle. Maybe I should have told them they were both wrong, but that's kind of difficult when you're just a baby and haven't learned how to talk yet.

Still, I thought I'd gotten away with it for many years. I survived my teens in that house by listening to rock music whilst sneering at the original rock 'n' roll my mother was playing. I honestly believed I meant it when I told my Dad that Tammy Wynette's song with the KLF was her best. I laughed like a drain at Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart", knowing that was music for my parents and I wasn't them, so there was no call for me to like it.

Evidently, I wasn't alone, as the United Kingdom had never embraced country music with quite the same vigour as the United States. But in 1999, that all threatened to change. Faith Hill had managed a fairly decent hit single with the country-pop sounding "This Kiss" in late 1998, and Shania Twain's country-rock was going down a storm with the British public. Into this arena stepped the Dixie Chicks, with a slightly more country sound that Faith Hill, but with a pop edge that would hopefully make them more acceptable.

Maybe they caught me at a weak moment. Maybe it was the album cover with three attractive blondes on the cover, the Dixie Chicks themselves, that reeled me in. Maybe I was still slightly stunned at discovering I actually quite liked their Grammy Award winning single "There's Your Trouble" and had taken temporary leave of my sense. But, as they hoped many would do, I bought their "Wide Open Spaces" album, perhaps hoping it would prove I was right all along, and my liking of a couple of country based songs (I was also a fan of "This Kiss") was only a temporary thing.

It may be, having been bought up with a more old-school style of country music, that my impressions of the genre are a little out of date. To me, "Wide Open Spaces" doesn't sounds entirely like a country music album, more a pop-country music album. There are tracks on here that would fit fairly well in the country bracket, but equally there are others that could really only be considered straight pop tunes. However, looking at the output of artists like Shania Twain, Faith Hill and LeAnn Rimes over the last few years, it does seem that this is the way country music is headed. If that's the case, I like it!

This is an album that may offend country music purists by being a little too pop-influenced. Equally, it may well scare pop fans away by having a country edge, but for those a little more open to new or varying ideas, this could appeal. If you're like me and into a wide range of music, or someone with more of an admiration for country music, rather than an obsession with it, this could well be the kind of album you'll enjoy. It's got a number of bouncy, enjoyable numbers combined with some well crafted ballads that give the album a bit of a mixture and it's set out nicely to lead you gently towards the more country influenced songs later in the album

At only 44 minutes, it's not a long album, although that was a fairly typical playing time when it was released. If you like a bit of country, but not too much or if you're open to expending your musical horizons just a little into country music, this is a good way to begin and good value for a decent album.

This review may also appear under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk