5.0 out of 5 stars brand new 2nd hand., 27 Feb 2004
Jon Boy (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
roots manuva is out and out my favourite british rapper - he's talents go far beyond he's smooth delivery and interesting content of his very british lyrics. he's production and beat writing is just as slick. these skills set him apart from the many other talented british rappers. (of which, I'm proud to say, there is an abundance; chester p, taskforce, jehst, dynamite, dizzie rascal and of course the veterans rodney p & daddy skitz.)
I love the fact that there is no mistaking he's english, I love the fact he sounds cockney and he talks about life in britain - mr manuva is the barometer of england's' social climate (and has been for a number of years). his social comment is accurate and is eloquently delivered, it makes you listen intently on what he's got to say.
the first and last songs on this album are amazing ('movements' & 'motion 5000' respectively) they're are two tracks roots manuva doesn't often top (although 'swords in the dirty' from his run come save me album does!!!). I love the calm, relaxed hook in 'movements' - roots manuva's voice seems to hypnotises you.
this album had a massive impact on the british hip hop scene - its paved the way for others to follow.
roots manuva is genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, its very good, but..., 22 Jun 2006
R. Fraser "rhys_6911" (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
...sometimes its just not cohesive enough to be given 5 stars. Not to say its a bad album, just doesn't flow well enough at times. The first time I listened to it, I was blown away by movements and motion 5000, I echo what other people have said, they are the two best tracks on the album and some of the finest tracks Roots Manuva has done ever. Although the problem lies with this in a way, halfway through the album you need something amazing, inspirational, almost daunting to certify a full listen, and unfortunately I don't think it has that killer edge. Tracks like sinking sand and clockwork are good tunes but decidely average for Roots Manuva, and sometimes you just can't be bothered to persevere. In a way this can benefit it in some respects, when you can be arsed its a really good listen, and at the right time can really suck you in, let you engage, then spit you back out, but it just doesn't do enough to have you playing this on a regular rotation. I think the reason for this is the production, as lyrically Rodders is on superlative form with some beautifally insightful lyrics and his adverse perception of the world, but the beats aren't always adequate foundation for such profound articulation, and can make you change track all too easily sometimes. Luckily, this all changes with experience, and he picks up on the production in the later albums, which are most excellent. So the album on a whole isn't quite 5 star material, but its definately worth buying for some tracks, as the standouts are momentous at times. There is the aforementioned Movents and Motion 5000, Strange Behaviour, Juggle Tings Proper and Fever for me which are the heavyweights, but i'm sure some people will disagree and have their own personal favourites.

All in all, most excellent debut attempt and a must buy if your a fan of Roots Manuva, and if not buy it just for Movements, beyond words.

5.0 out of 5 stars The roots-fi discotheque, 1 Oct 2004
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
Roots Manuva is definitely one of the big names in hiphop not only in UK but througout. Nice lyrics, voice, different sorts of musics, plus hes wicked live..im not a mad hip-hop fan, but this album definitely visits my hi-fi often, it really worths listening to..As we move..This is my money, this is my pain, these are my drugs, this is my brain, and its never gonna be the same..

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup, I like this one., 17 July 2000
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
The first I heard of Roots Manuva was his "lazy tuxedo grooves" on 'Very Mercinary' (Herbaliser). His lyrical style and content struck a very strong cord in me.
This album is class. Yes, I'm biased - I share alot the sentiments expressed. But, even if you just have a passing interest in hip-hop, this album is a must. It is seminal.
Justin: What's wrong with the production. Don't you think it's intentionally lo-fi on some of the tracks? The idea isn't to create a polished piece of plastic...
One really refreshing aspect of Roots Manuva's discourse is the lack of the need for self gratification which seems to infect so much hip-hop.
I could write reams about this album... It's rich in soul, rhyme, intellect, humanity, funk.......
No hype needed - it stands firmly on its own feet and then soars to where few can reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 30 Nov 2001
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
Musically and lyrically this is by far the most innovative, eclectic and above all listenable 'hip-hop' albums I've heard since De La Soul's '3ft High'. Each track has it's own individual appeal and stands on it's own merits - certainly no filler here - with it's definite British ruggedness and humour. Up there with Massive Attack's 'Blue Lines' as a benchmark for British talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and second best, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
This is definitely one of the most original albums produced in the history of UK urban music and for this reason I don't think it received the wider exposure it deserved. It's an comforting deep bassy sound, which is almost unique in my experience, one which completely mesmerized me 8 years ago, and still does today. I don't think he ever really improved on this personally, though others may feel the album is a bit disjointed. I have to say the second track 'dem phonies' does my head in and is probably worth 1 star at best, but the rest is fantastic, especially 'Inna', 'Strange Behaviour', 'Motion 5000' and 'Oh yeah'. It's getting on a bit now, but classics never really age and this certainly hasn't. It will always be one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite artists - check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laying the ROOTS for British Hip-Hop, 25 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
British hip hop has never reached the level of american hip hop but with acts like R manuva, Delagates of culture, Chester P, 57th Dynasty and Black Twang it could be on it's way! This album is a masterpiece it keeps hard and raw all the way through but without the kind of lyrics that helped Dr.DRE, snoop, e.t.c get the exposure they needed.The flowing rymes of Mr.Manuva fit perfectly alongside the deep basslines and catchy rythems. A land mark in british hip hop and a must buy album!

5.0 out of 5 stars PHAT LYRICS, AND PHAT B-LINES., 22 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
This album has the best lyrical flows and mind blowing beats. It is a groundbreaking album, and is a good yardstick for other UK rappers to use. Seriously, 'movements' is my favourite track, but there is probably one track which is not brilliant. The rest are fresh hip hop cuts ready for the RELOAD, bo selecta.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
Loving this album. Ive spoiled it for myself a little bit, as I have bought "Run come save me" too, which is even better, but this album has its own earthy brilliance too. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
contemporary classic. this has been a part of my musical diet for the lasst 4 years and it is still fresh. its hard to believe but this is an amazing album and the best that england has got and he is loved

Brand New Second Hand
Brand New Second Hand by Roots Manuva (Audio CD - 2001)