4.0 out of 5 stars Classic album from Britney.
Published on 14 Aug 2003 by so_solid_sweetheart

3.0 out of 5 stars Good I Suppose............But could be better!!!!!!
Britney Spears is a good singer but I only like a few songs on her C.D = Baby one more time, you drive me crazy, soda pop. I think the others are a waste of time when she can do a lot, lot better! Only about 2 of her songs have been in the top 20 and judging on how many songs she has done thats not a very good average!!!!!! Overall it's definately not the best C.D in...
Published on 14 Jan 2000 by blowie@tinyonline.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic album from Britney., 14 Aug 2003
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
Britney’s first album unleashed her great talent of singing and introduced her into the pop world. This album contains a mixture of mostly catchy pop tracks and slow, emotional ballads. Overall, it’s a nice first effort from Britney, as if you have 'Britney' and 'Oops I Did It Again,' you may find it interesting to see how her voice grows stronger, and how her music has changed so much! So many fans will like this first album as it's filled with more sweet, cute, poppy tracks, which she was famous for!
*Catchy pop tracks*
(1) Baby One More Time- (10/10) #1 feisty pop track- the best on the album.
(2) (You Drive Me) Crazy- (8/10) This is the original version and is more poppy than the edgey remix released as the single. The remix is better..
(3) Sometimes-(9/10) Bouncy, sweet pop tune with a great chorus and vocals. Britney’s voice sounds sweet and young.
(4) Soda Pop-(7/10) A summer anthem of pop, with a bit of reggae. This song is very quirky, summery, fun and catchy.
(7) I Will Be There-(10/10) A very catchy ‘Britney’ type of song produced by Max Martin. Great lyrics, music, explosively catchy chorus. Could have been a single!
(9) Deep In My Heart-(8/10) Poppy, sweet song where Britney’s voice sounds so young compared to new tracks like ‘Anticipating’ and ‘Overprotected.’
(12) The Beat Goes On- (7/10) This song sounds very much like the original and is basically a filler.. Not one of the bests…
*Sweet, sugar filled ballads*
(5) Born To Make You Happy-(10/10) The great, #1 heart-warming ballad by Britney with great music, lyrics and vocals from Britney. Great track!
(6) From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart-(9/10) Very nice ballad to listen to during cold winter days… Nice lyrics, music and Brit sings very well on this.
(8) I Will Still Love You-(9/10) An excellent duet ballad sounding a bit like Britney’s ‘Don’t Let Me Be The Last To Know.’ Nice music and lyrics- very memorable song!
(10)Thinkin’ About You-(7/10) A bouncyish ballad.. Not one of the best…
(11)Email My Heart-(7/10) A slow, calm ballad where Britney’s voice sounds a bit depressing to match the atmosphere of the song.. Not one of the best…
Some great songs on the album and it’s a nice first attempt from Britney!! A great album to add to your collections!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright pop, and a great debut., 30 Jun 2000
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
Britney Spears - just the name strikes a chord in the heart of every living boy and man. And the girl is more than just good looks.
Her debut album, hot of the heels of the enormous success of Baby One More Time, is, if nothing else, a mixed bag. Spears chooses not to constantly reuse the Baby One More Time blueprint as with her second album - rather, she uses this style once more with (You Drive Me) Crazy, and then uses a variety of different musical types.
Sometimes, the sleepy ballad of Summer '99, is pleasantly catchy, and avoids the twisted wretchedness of Jessica Simpson-style ballads. The other single released, Born to Make You Happy (which is slightly longer on the album than on the single) is a rich, melodious sounding song which conveys a great deal of emotion, despite the throwaway lyrics.
Spears switches to Hanson-style guitars with the seventh track, and this graces the album with a light feeling, and the Pokemon song Soda Pop is an amusing, light rap.
The quality of the album deteriorates somewhat towards the end, as Britney resorts to slow moving songs that are neither ballad nor upbeat, and a cover of Sonny and Cher's 'The Beat Goes On.' Nonetheless, she does manage to keep them sounding spirited, and resists the temptation to moan and groan miserably, instead bringing in new singer Don Philip to supplement her own husky, yet sweet voice.
Overall, this album conveys innocence - Britney sounds younger and less experienced here than she does now, and while this isn't detrimental on the songs, it is worth listening to for a comparison, to today's mega-sexy Britney in red catsuits and sporting hair extensions.
It's nothing if not enjoyable and catchy, and in the world of pop, depth doesn't really matter - the fact that some of these songs have it is a bonus. Anyone who likes Britney Spears will relish the pure, American feel to this album. It may not be the most mature sounding music ever, but it's fun, and it's catchy, and it's popular. In this case, that's more than enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Nov 2000
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant pop record with catchy choruses and brilliant melodies. The lyrics are often a bit cheesy, but that simply adds to the fun of the record.
1. Baby One More Time - Superb. Even though it was played all the time on radio, this is still a great song. 10/10
2. You Drive Me Crazy - I prefer this version to the single remix. It's fresh and funky, and it even has electric guitars in it! 10/10
3. Sometimes - Quite pleasant, but ultimately rather boring. Nice chorus. 8/10
4. Soda Pop - One of the worst songs on the album. I couldn't fathom the lyrics and the melody is quite annoying, but it's amusing to listen to now and again. 6/10
5. Born To Make You Happy - Probably the best song on the album. A gorgeous melody, and a great chorus. Britney's vocals are a bit shaky in parts though. 10/10
6. From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart - The name of the song pretty much sets you up for what the song is like. A (very) slow ballad telling the tale of an evil male who broke the heart of poor Britney. It's quite pretty though (even if it's very long) and it's one of the better songs. This might have been intended to be a single, as the lyrics are printed on the sleeve. 8/10
7. I Will Be There - A brilliant song. It sounds a bit like "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia, although more uptempo and perky. It also sounds quite similar to a song Celine Dion recorded (I forget what it's called). It's uptempo guitar pop with a monstrously catchy chorus. I think it should've been a single. 10/10
8. I Will Still Love You - The best ballad on the album, this is more uptempo than songs like #5 or #11. Britney's voice is really pretty on this song. The chorus is really catchy too. This is a duet with some guy called Don Phillip. He sounds more feminine than Britney, but he'll probably gain massive success after performing on this track. 10/10
9. Deep In My Heart - A nice, dancey pop song. Very uptempo and catchy. It was written by the same people who wrote "Sometimes", but it's a lot better. It's got a cool chorus and some nice effects in the background. I think this is a bonus track. 9/10
10. Thinking About You - I hate this song. It's the worst song on the album. It's awful, it's just really bad. The melody doesn't stay in your head for more than a minute and there's some weird vocoder effects. Surely there were better songs available than this! 4/10
11. Email My Heart - Despite a nauseating title, this is actually a pretty good song. It's a slow ballad with some really bad lyrics (like, "it's been hours seems like days/since you went away/and all I do is check the screen/to see if you're okay") but it's really nice. 9/10
12. The Beat Goes On - I prefer this version to the original version. It's got a nice beat and Britney's voice is on good form for it. Very funky and cool, although the same melody with a different singer released this as a single before. Still very good though. 9/10
All in all, this is a great pop album with some of the best pop tunes in a long time. There's also a multimedia section with the Baby One More Time video, which is very good quality, and some interview clips and some pictures, which are very interesting, the latter in particular. I would recommend anyone get this album, and I'm sure they wouldn't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album!, 1 Jun 2000
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
This is a superb album! It really is!
1) "...Baby One More Time" - this is a really good song! Everyone's heard it, we all loved it, and even now, I can't say I hate it! Really good! 9/10
2) "(You Drive Me) Crazy" - the album version of this song is SO much better than the version she released! Honestly, the album version is SO good! 10/10
3) "Sometimes" - I really love the video for this! It's so good! Anyway, a really meaningful song - very good! 10/10
4) "Soda Pop" - Despite what most people say, I really like this song! My best friend got the album before me, and I drove her mad by asking her (when I was at her house) to flick it back on to "that cool song"! It does wear off eventually, though! 9/10
5) "Born To Make You Happy" - A really good song - this was a favourite from the beginning. I really believe the words, and at the time when I bought it, I could REALLY REALLY relate to the words... 10/10
6) "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart" - A really good, yet sad, song - very good! 9/10
7) "I Will Be There" - This is a cool song - I really like it. One of my favourites. 10/10
8) "I Will Still Love You" - This is a really sad duet with Don Phillips, but I really, really like it! 10/10
9) "Deep In My Heart" - This track is on the single of "Oops!...I Did It Again" and until I bought that single, I absolutely adored this song! But it does wear off you eventually, but it's still really good. 9/10
10) "Thinkin' About You" - This is probably my favourite track at the moment. Really good. 10/10
11) "E-mail My Heart" - I like this song. It's a bit strange though - it's quite sad too. It's still really good, despite the fact that it's quite slow. 9/10
12) "Beat Goes On" - This is one we've all heard before, but I haven't a clue who sang it before Britney. I love it though! 10/10
Overall, I give this album 11/10! It's so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tracks, excellent value, 3 Feb 2002
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
Although it may seem expensive, this package is extremely good value. The cover shown is the outer sleeve, to keep the package as whole.
Inside is the album with 2 tracks on top of the UK version. There is also a promotional exclusive single of Crazy - Stop remix, with an extra track Autumn Goodbye. The best thing is the poster booklet, exclusive to this Asia edition, with photo shoots from her early days.
What stands out is that the exclusive extra tracks are probably the best (including the remixes) - This package is highly collectible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely album!!, 3 Mar 2001
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
This is a great album, this version has the bonus songs 'autumn goodbye', 'ill never stop loving you' and 2 remixes of Baby one more time. I would say if you dont have the album already it is worth buying this one for the extra tracks. You would only want to rebuy it for the extra tracks if you are a big Britney fan, but it is worth it!! Out of the old songs my faves are 'deep in my heart', 'thinkin about you' , 'sometimes' and 'you drive me crazy'. Definetly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... One More Time with Ms. Spears, 19 Feb 2006
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
Britney rocked us with this album in Januray 1999, and it's far from a disappointment, I'll be taking an in depth look at each track and Britney's overall efforts -
"Baby One More Time" includes the massively successful "...One More Time" single, a pop-tastic track sung with Britney's trademark husky vocals, which made 1999 for thousands of fans, this song is an innocent journey of love and loneliness, and highly addictive, this is very typical of Pop in this era, and rather achingly cheesy when you look back.
However, with all that in mind, still one of Britney's best tracks ever, and an amazing breakthrough debut.
Other singles on this album include the equally as catchy, "Crazy", which is another pop classic from Britney, in which she sings about how frustrated and smitten she was with a certain love.
Then we come to the ballads - "Sometimes", "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart" and "Born To Make You Happy". These singles all follow the pattern set by the previous singles, and focus yet again on unsuccessful love. They are song well with passion by Britney, and all appear rather similar.
"Born To Make You Happy" takes on a slightly poppier feel towards the end, but is still a lovely tune, and perfect for some easy listening.
"Sometimes" is a sweet, angelic ballad from Britney, very easy listening and sugar for the ears. Albeit a little cheesy.
"From The Bottom of my Broken Heart" is another similar ballad, sweet and innocent, although it was only released in the USA.
Moving on from the singles, are the songs "E-mail My Heart" and "I Will Still Love You", which are both unusual in which they seem like a crossbred from a typical Britney ballad, and a typical Britney pop song. I'm personally not that fond of "I Will Still Love You", in which she duets with an unknown male. I feel his voice is carrying her through, and she could of certainly tried alot harder.
However, "E-mail My Heart" is one of my personal favourites, with it's catchy chorus, it comes across as pop music, but the constant piano riff in the background reminds us that this is still a very meaningful song. Britney's voice is in it's usual sweet prime, but she did attempt to bring on a bit more power towards the end, which works out well.
"Thinkin' About You" is another song similar to "E-Mail My Heart", the one crucial difference being quite a bit of vocal range from Britney, who seems to shift a gear every other line, and it turns out to be a pleasant, catchy number, which is very 1990's in style.
"I Will Be There" is a lovely pop track on this album, which seems to have "innocent" printed across it, which is no surprise when you bear in mind that Britney was only 15 or 16 when she recorded this.
"Deep In My Heart" is a gorgeous pop number from Britney, which easily could of made a single, her voice is it's usual husky self, and this is certainly a track for dancing to. The backing track is fast and repeative, and Britney's vocals follow a similar pattern, however, she doesn't seem to push herself to the limits seen on "Born To Make You Happy", perhaps this is best though - people don't want a dance track with overpowering range.
One of the tracks to avoid on this album has to be "Soda Pop", which seems very afro-carribean influenced, with a male singer single handedly taking over the chorus. Britney has little input to this shockingly cheesy effort. This track is definetly all filler, no killer.
To end the album, there is a cover of Cher's classic - "Beat Goes On" - in which Britney does it justice, with her typical cheesy pop inspired style.
Although, one massive let down is at the end of this track, when it fades into Britney thanking her fans and then making the mistake of playing a few tracks from "my friends the Backstreet Boys, I know they're gonna be massive!" - So cringeworthy.
A sad loss from this version of the album is the outstanding "Autumn Goodbye" which appeared on the "...One More Time" single as a B-Side, and it later featured on some versions of the album. If you can get the chance, I'd recommend it, the track is very similar to an "Oops! I Did It Again" era.
Overall, pop and dance mixed together well.
My personal favourite tracks on this album (and one's I insist you listen to) are -
* ...One More Time
* Crazy
* Born To Make You Happy
* Deep In My Heart
* E-Mail My Heart
* Beat Goes On
Overall, a catchy album of middling pop tunes and a few nice ballads. The entire album focuses around unhappy love, but is done in an extremely cheesy way. Cringeworthy indeed.
If you can, check out some of Britney's more recent material, and you'll clearly see the change - from a sugarcoated princess into a international sex icon.
Enjoy the ride on one of histry's great - the super clean debut from Britney Spears, fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney makes the greatest debut album of all time!, 30 Dec 2008
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
selling over 30 million copies worldwide, this is Britney Spears' greatest commercial album to date and also with so many positive reviews for the album it is also one of Britney's most highest acclaimed albums only matched in equality with as many positive reviews with Blackout in 2007(!!), it was because of the instant love and acclaim that it sold millions within a mnth of its release date in the summer of 1999(oh i remember it well) and this summer will be the exact 10 years since its initial release which i find to be quite something!!.
Since the release of the stunning (and arguably one of the greatest songs ever)...Baby One More Time (breaking records when topping the charts worlwide) she has released hit uopn hit after hit, and now (with the release of Circus) there is cetainly no stopping this starlet (now Queen of Pop. music).
the sound of the album still remains fresh and exciting even ten years later which is why we all love Britney, on a plus she also makes vocal expressions that will even make Christina jealous, and still today Britney is an astounding unique individual that shows genuine love and care in her music no matter the controversy and critisism that surrounds her at the moment.

I will Be There is the most beautiful song and most deepest song i have ever heard which is why it is one of my all time favourites of all her songs and songs in general, it is deep meaningful and strikes out from the other 11 songs on the album.
(You Drive Me) CRAZY is certainly the most thrilling song on the album or certainly the most glorified after ...Baby One More Time.
Sometimes is another beautiful unique number that strucks a chord with me, it is an amazing vocal range reflection and certainly is the most identifyable on the album.
...Baby One More Time is still fresh, exciting and adrenaline fuelled that makes this the greatest pop song since Thriller/Billie Jean and Beat It(courtesy of MJ)and Like A Prayer/Into The Groove/Vogue(cheers to Madonna), thrilling and exciting it is one of the greaest and immortal songs ever created.
Soda Pop is a reggae sounding song with a fantastic upbeat tune and fulfilling sound that makes a fun filled listen.
I Will Love You is just pure, simple and stunning again providing contrast for the album.
From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart, the most melancholic song on the album and just about the most sweetest thing you could ever listen to.
The Beat Goes On is unquestionably one of the best cover songs out there and arguably one of the most successful due to it being attached to so many advertisements and trailers out there, keep a close ear.
Born To Make You Happy, another stunning single release of the album.
Deep In Your Heart is another unique sounded song that makes you feel great on the inside.
while,E-Mail My Heart is more upbeat and catchy.
finally, Thinking About You just makes you smile on the inside!!

that was an overview of my favourite songs from tha album (all of the album)which just shows how unique this diamond multi-platinum, that everyone must have.
overall-11/10 over perfection!!

Britney and Blackout match this in terms of uniqueness and sheer power and epic sound!!, which makes her albums so very special indeed.

Baby One More Time-11/10

thanks Britney!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Where it all began, 13 Sep 2008
Mr. TB Reeks - See all my reviews
This review is from: ...Baby One More Time (Audio CD)
This album launched Britney's career back when she and I were both teenagers and my how things have changed...

Britney Spearheaded the American bubblegum pop movement and made it her own at least here in the UK and fine examples of this are on this CD and the majority of it is very good, if you like your pop manufactured.

Out of the twelve songs on my version of the CD, I'd say that only three of them are a bit rubbish.

"Soda Pop" is the first offender, it never was my favourite song on the album and never will be. The only thing I'd recommend about it is that it doesn't sound like Britney at all. It's a bit reggae ish in comparison to the rest of the album, with it's slick production. Having said that, it does stand out in a good way.

"From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart" and "E-mail My Heart" are also the other offenders for the fact that they are boring mush. On "E-mail My Heart" Britney sings for her lost lover to contact her via the Internet, something you can't REALLY imagine her doing - at all, seeing as most kids these days are using MSN, Facebook or MySpace to communicate to each other.

"The Beat Goes On" is a worthy, playful edition and serves well as a closer to this now pop and media phenomenon we know now on a first name only basis.

Nearly fourteen million people have bought this CD, however I wonder how many would actually admit to owning one. It makes me feel very old (and somewhat embarrassed) to admit to liking this...

4.0 out of 5 stars Gosh, she's so young!, 24 July 2008
John Malcolm (Swindon, Wilts, England) - See all my reviews
Looking at the date on the sleeve this album was made in 1998/1999. The sleeve photos (apart from the more adult/serious front cover) show a very young - and innocent-looking - Britney, wholesomely smiling her cuteness at the world. If we only know what was going to happen to the poor girl...

Still, this a review and not a social commentary, so here goes. A very polished album of Britney's solo songs (apart from her duet with Don Philip on 'I Will Still Love You') which burble along pleasantly, if a little blandly. This is pop, not mind-engaging Prog rock, though, and aimed at a very different audience by the marketing men. Dance floor stuff for teenage fans (and younger) to shake their stuff (too young to have a 'booty'?!) to, and it's very good at what it does.

I won't discuss individual tracks, as there are many more knowledgeable reviewers around than me, but there are few deviations from the formula; the final track, Sonny Bono's (I assume, I don't know the track) 'The Beat Goes On' is a bit different, and this is tucked away at the end so it doesn't clash too much with the mainstream pop of the rest of the album.

A good first album, and despite being a bit targeted and manufactured-sounding it is a pleasant listen. There are far worse ways to pass 46 minutes and 17 seconds (according to my MiniDisc player) than the disc called '...Baby One More Time', and I'm glad I bought it.

...Baby One More Time
...Baby One More Time by Britney Spears (Audio CD - 1999)