4.0 out of 5 stars Dagnabbit, always back to Dream theater...
Well, when I first heard this album, I, with a heavy heart, resorted to borrowing it off of my friend. I don't regret that decision, but I wish I had managed to purchase it.

Anyway, the first song I heard, "The Dance Of Eternity" sounds, to me at least, a two fingered salute to the rest of the music community.

"You have your music, but we do it *so*...
Published on 15 May 2006 by Cray Dharker

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for fans, but won't win converts
There are two or three good tracks on this rock opera/concept album, but its far from the best progressive rock album ever made. The lyrics are in general appalling, with Through Her Eyes standing out as a particularly low spot. Fortunately the music is generally good and occasionally excellent ('Home' is one of the best tracks). Petrucci (guitars) and Portnoy...
Published on 1 April 2001 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great concept album, 8 Jun 2009
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
This was my first Dream Theater album and my first prog-metal album. For the uninitiated, the style, with it's heavy guitars and drums combined, baffling changes of time signature, and ultra-fast solos, can be hard to penetrate. But this album, unlike many other in the same genre, including, unfortunately, some of Dream Theater's other records, sees musicality triumph over display of technique for technique's sake.

Instrumentals such as 'Overture 1928' and 'The Dance Of Eternity' are really good pieces of music. The vocal melodies and lyrics are fantastic. Dream Theater chose here to write really melodically and composing some soaring vocal lines. 'The Spirit Carries On' has become a real live anthem. This contrasts with the more monotonous melodies found in later songs like 'As I Am' on the album 'Train Of Thought. I must say I prefer this album to later ones for this reason. There is heart, soul, and drama on 'Scenes From A Memory' and I feel they lost some of this as they went down a heavier road.

Kudos to all the band members. Jordan Rudess makes his debut here as keyboardist and, I must say, his opening solo in 'Overture 1928' left me astounded. I thought Tony Banks solo in 'Supper's Ready' by Genesis was the limit. Tony seems quite slow compare to Jordan.

If you're new to Dream Theater and want to sample the best of their older work, get this or 'Images And Words'. After 'Scenes From A Memory' they begin to change. But you may love their new direction; the band are certainly very happy about it, judging by interviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars DT's masterpiece?, 18 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Wow, what a stunning album. Mixing phenomenal talent with great songs has to result in one of the best albums I have ever heard, and in my opinion, DT's best. After being introduced to DT by a friend and purchasing this and "Images and Words," a few listens was all I needed to almost permanently leave DT in my CD player and I have since bought all of their back catalogue. The strange concept album story takes you through eighty minutes of amazing music which will have you in awe throughout. The opening hypnosis track really draws you in, and I cannot listen to it without then listening to the rest of the album. There are too many bits I like to talk about here, but I will single out the middle "Money" section of "Beyond This Life" and the whole of "The Dance of Eternity" for just shear brilliance and madness!
In all, if you like rock and prog, then I would seriously advise you to buy this album. The musicianship and crazy time signatures will leave you not regretting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 28 April 2003
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
This is my favourite album....When you buy this album, and I hope you do, you can make your own mind up about it.
I don't like all of Dream Theaters material, but this album is incredible. Really, they deserve much more credit than they get. I dont know anyone who has any of their albums, but people I have introduced to this album agree, it is incredible stuff, I dont know why more people have not heard of them!
If you are looking into getting a DT album, this may not be the best choice, I think Images and Words should be your first port of call, as it was for me. But trust me, you will be back here soon to order this album and Awake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater at their best, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Don't even pretend you understand the story just listen to the beatiful guitar, bass, keyboards, drums and vocals all perfectly interlinked. The truth is the that you can't really say which member of Dream Theater is better than the others because they are all so damn good. Their ability to change the mood of a song or to do something you wouldn't have thought possible. And as I've previously said you don't get the story even if you think you do you don't. It's very easy to give this album five stars because it is generally accepted as DT's best album but you won't really fully understand until you've heard this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best DT album ever., 4 Jun 2003
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
This is probably DT’s most powerful album. With pounding riffs and slaughtering guitar solos, this album has to be bought. This is probably Portnoy's strongest album and his drumming is outstanding. Petrucci's guitar solos (especially for 'Fatal Tragedy' and 'Beyond This Life,') are exceptional. Bass lines are great and the keyboarding is amazing. Overall, this album is great musically, and has a little story in all its songs.
I think that ANY fan of Dream Theater should buy this album as I think it is their best. This is a great album and I think any music fan could like it and get into them!

5.0 out of 5 stars '...I used to think death was the end. But that was before...', 24 Dec 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
This is the favorite Dream Theatre album for many lovers of this excellent inspiring band. Their music is heavy but ambitious and perfectly well executed which brought them to the forefront of a style of progressive metal rock which they dominate. There are plenty of reviews here and elsewhere devoted to and explaining really well the excellence of this concept and recording. I would like to offer a supposition concerning the genesis of this concept album. Only John Petrucci could confirm or deny the validity of my assumption, based solely on the intuitional feeling I am getting when I listen to this music. So, here is my theory. The concept for this album came after the fact and was designed to be able to share the fact with the broader audience in a way accessible to us. The fact itself is described by John in song number 11: The Spirit Carries On in his words 'I used to be frightened of dying, I used to think death was the end. But that was before, I'm not scared anymore, I know that my soul will transcend. I may never find all the answers, I may never understand why. I may never prove what I know to be true, but I know that I still have to try'. So, once again, my theory says that either John or someone whom he totally trusts had experienced the fact, which caused John to write the above words first, possibly this song, and later on to develop the rest of the plot for the story. The band ended up transforming John's experience of the fact into an unique concept for a progressive rock album titled appropriately Scenes From The Memory. So, what is the fact? It could be life after death experience so many of us went through. I went through it too, by drowning in the river at the age of 6. Someone had jumped after me and picked me up from the bottom. I will never forget that experience because when you go through something so life-changing you think about it first every minute, in the following days and weeks every hour, after a while once a day, and 40 years later probably no more but still at least once a week. However, when you go through the tunnel of death, although again there is no space for any doubt, there is a certain amount of haziness involved. You loose your fear of dying, you know there is no death, but still, all of the records of those facts do not sound and feel exactly the same as these lyrics make me feel. I had spent my teenage years researching those facts and often coming back to these records, and I don't think that we are talking about the experience of life after death.

I think that we are dealing with the situation experienced by people during their waking hours when all of a sudden their universe opens up and they are finding themselves still exactly where they were in physical terms, inside of their room or in their hospital bed, wherever, but their consciousness transcends and becomes the superconciousness for a moment. Sometimes there are more people together and all are allowed into that cosmic field of superconciousness and in other times a person standing within your reach has no clue what, besides him, you are seeing and experiencing, and you have no doubt that your reality is real. The person next to you (most often there is no one there) exists in 3 dimensions whereas you found yourself within 4 of them. And that 4th dimension most likely would be undetectable by our scientific means, because it has more to do with the state of our mind and emotion and it is even much more subtle than that. It is a state of our soul. Our science doesn't even believe in the existence of soul and takes it for some derivative of an accumulated over our lifetime a brain function and product.

Superconciousness seems to be the appropiate discription. Our awareness and understanding is 1000 fold greater. All of the sudden, within a second we can experience memories and feelings, and analyze our situation in a way we would need minutes or hours for in our normal condition. That state is so different from moments when our reality is altered by psychedelic or other drugs when the reality becomes shifted, but definitely not escalated on beyond of the laws of our earthly universe. You can find out more about that spiritual kingdom by going through records of life after death. There is a moment when you evaluate your life, go backwards through it, and feel what you had caused by your actions and thoughts, but the feelings you are experiencing are not your own, and they do not arise in a manner of how you would have felt if you were in their position, either. You simply experience the feelings of other people affected by you. You are in superconciousness then, but again, coming back from life after death involves crossing thresholds completely absent in the experience (I think) I am reviewing. What I find so fascinating when I listen to The Spirit Carries On is that overwhelming burst of euphoria or optimism coming out of the experience of the fact. Those coming back from the thresholds of death usually do not react in such way, because first, they had always expected that state of life, or at least knew it could have existed and must have given it some thoughts in the past. Second, the experience of death although quite incredible will be extremely challenging for most of us. No reason to jump for joy. On the other hand, to experience superconciousness during your everyday is to start living inside of the magical labyrinth from then on. At that moment your system of beliefs in the spiritual world out there which you expected to be surrounded by after your bodily death gets shattered. All of a sudden you realize that the spiritual universe out there is and must have always been within and right next to you. The realization of that proximity is shocking but in the greatest possible way (well, that really depends on your yesterdays, I guess). You feel safe (or exposed but even than you feel loved, I bet) and the realization that it only took one monumental thought (often in your moment of doubt) to let the kingdom come...overwhelms you. I think that either John or someone he knows really well had experienced that stage of superconciousness. This is my theory.

Perhaps you will say, dude who gives a fact? I like Mike's drums, the bass, John's guitar lines, the keys and the way James sings, and you have just wasted my time. Well, I am sorry for that. However, if you have any interest in the subject I am on, you could research it further.... First you could download a song called Shine by Depeche Mode, and then another one called Suffer Well. Next, you could turn to chapter 5 of a book called Edgar Cayce's Predictions For The 21st Century (and by the way, do not dismiss his real time experiences just because some of his sleep induced predictions are wrong or late. Timing often is completely off in such situations anyway) by Mark Thurston, Ph.D. After that reach for Rudolf Steiner for the best explanation. By now you will know exactly what to search for and you will find it in a title of his book. Plenty of additional materials on the subject. Why bother? Well, don't. This review is only meant for people who sense and are searching for more than they can see... Perhaps because they are curious as to who they really are...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly I heard one the tracks at a friends funeral ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Sadly I heard one the tracks at a friends funeral, then discovered what it was (via Planet Rock) and ordered the CD - stunning

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album of all time, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Sitting next to Slayer's "Reign in Blood" and Emperor's "Anthems to the welkin at dusk," it's the best album of all time, as far as I'm concerned. A incredible journey for the soul, even if a listener happens to lack one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Any true music lover can not have this masterpiece. A great concept album for quality of music and inspiration of the lyrics. We are dealing with a mix of hard rock, classical music, gospel music and progressive rock. Must-have in the collection. Perhaps the quintessential record in rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keystone In Progressive Rock & Metal, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (Audio CD)
Pivotal moment in music history. Stellar album and a high point in Dream Theater's musical career. Must have for fans

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 1999)