Format: DVDChange
Price:£33.62+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 September 2010
My dad saw this dvd cover in London and said he saw this movie when it was first out! I had never heard of Kirk Douglas doing a Ulysses movie so I bought it for dad's birthday for us both to enjoy.
It is the basic Odyssey story with Ulysses lost on his way home to his wife Penelope. In this version there is a curtailing of his adventures due to budget constraints but he does meet the Cyclops and is seduced on an exotic island.
The photography and colour are good for the 1950's, some scenes are filmed in the islands of the Med where Ulysses was suppossed to have got lost.
Kirk Douglas makes a great hero, not entirely sympathetic as he is a hard nosed battle hardened warrior. Anthony Quinn is in a very small part but it makes the Italian production seem a bit more Hollywood style.
A good budget film with sadly no extras.
on 11 August 2010
The DVD was exactly as I expected although a bit surprised that it was a Korean version.
The picture quality was not as sharp as today's movies, but that can expected as it was filmed in 1955.
In conclusion I was most satisfied to have been able to purchase it.
on 7 November 2015
It is not in English!!!!! When I returned a previous copy for the same reason I was assured my new DVD would be in English, it wasn't. Although my Spanish isn't bad, an entire film was pushing it. Not happy and very disappointed with the service I received. Why isn't it stated on the DVD info it isn't in English?
on 28 June 2013
The language of this disc was suppose to be French/English, but I could not access the English version through my Blu-ray menu. The subtitles were also in French, therefore, I had no option but to send the disc back, which was disappointing as I saw this movie when it first came out in 1954. Although the picture quality of the disc was excellent.
on 17 September 2009
The film is a little dated. Today's CGIs are amazing but back in those days it was stop motion. I loved this film when it came out and I love it now. I know the story of Odysseus of Ithika by heart having read Homer many times. David (and Sheila) Gemmell's trilogy on Troy is amazing and as I read that story it is this film that I imagine.

Odysseus (Odd-ee-suce) help end the Trojan war by designing a huge Wooden Horse that Mykene soldiers hide in and when the Trojans have dragged the horse inside the city, they descended from the horse's belly, open the gates and Troy fell. Odysseus is punished by the Olympian gods and is forced to spend 10 years trying to get back home. In the mean time, his wife, Penelope, is being hounded by suitors for her hand and kingdom. After many adventures Odysseus gets home and wages a just but horrific vengeance.
0Comment14 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2014
DVD in Italian with French subtitles or Italian. No indication that there was no English. Never use these people again.
on 12 September 2014
Not in english
on 11 October 2013
First of all the quality of the Dvd is poor. I loved this movie as a kid. But to day It is not a movie I will see again.

PP
on 25 December 2015
only French or Italian.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2015
Very devastated at this DVD!! Although it clearly states on the back of this superb movie dvd that languages are English and Italian, in actual fact, there is NO ENGLISH language available on this DVD, which is misrepresentation, really!

I am sending it back!