5.0 out of 5 stars The Crispest Beats

3.0 out of 5 stars tearing down the quality, not the dancefloor
Published on 1 Dec. 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crispest Beats, 17 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
I would have to agree with other reviewers who have written that this is the greatest D'n'B album ever. In the early 90's this music really spoke to me, labels like Moving Shadow, Metalheadz, Emotiv and Creative Source (to name but a few)reeling off tune after tune for moody, chaotic weekends. Unfortunately either changes to myself or changes in the music made it seem boring and rather samey after a while. I don't see Goldie's Timeless as being that, I listened to it again recently and it bored me, sounded weak and I found myself skipping through it rapidly - this however, is an exception to any rule. Put this on a good Hi-Fi, close all the doors and turn it up loud. This is music for confined spaces, this is claustrophobic,urban and dark. The beats are so, so crisp - the epitomy of hard stepping break beat, the lyrics bite and the Bass churns. There is so much attitude and confidence here, DJ Die and Roni Size at the top of their game (they are two of the best anyway)and there is intelligence too, this isn't music for dummies or drug casualties and its not NOISE, it's so clearly and cleverly consructed. I could go on for ages, I admire this album so much, 1,000 words for each of the tracks - quite simply the best of its genre. This album makes you feel hard as nails.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 8 Jun. 2005
R. P. Gowney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
if you like drum and bass you'll love this album
brilliant breakbeats, the drums are to die for, the female vocalist has a fantastic voice that is just perfect for this type of music, and the production of the tracks is perfect (of course, look at the producers!)
buy this album, its a keeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Rave review, 30 May 2005
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
By far the best DnB album ever. A mixture of jazzy grooves, great vocals and kickass beats. May not appeal to hardcore jungle fans who only want a repetitive beat to go mental to on the floor, but to anyone willing to actually listen this is as good as the genre gets. One of my top five albums of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
Amazing collection of phat beats and vocals throughout! Would recommend to all who like Roni Size and similiar artists. Definitely a good old skool buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
Such a good album for drum and bass Lovers. Great vocals and awesome breaks. Always puts me in a good mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, fresh sound. Go mad to this one!, 6 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
This album really is a gem. You think that the 'bristol' sound has been around for ages, but Breakbeat Era have livened it up for the 21st century. This will become a must have. The sound is really crisp, and you can lose it to this album, for sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars tearing down the quality, not the dancefloor, 1 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
I bought this cd having heard and liked several of the tunes in clubs and raves. Imagine my surprise whin I found that many of the best ones had been completely ruined (no exaggeration) by vocals which were definitely not on the cuts DJs were using. There are some quality tunes in here, but the fact that you can hear their quality through the vocals just makes it more painful. The lyrics are pretty, but for the most part completely out of place on tracks which without them were tearing up dancefloors. Their melody and rythm too often are completely at odds with the rest of the track. By the end you are left screaming for the vocals to be switched off or at least replaced with a good MC. Good tunes have been spoilt here.
Bizarely, it seems as if the produceres knew their experiment had failed, as when it came down to it, the only tune actually released onto the dancefloor (where it really matters!)without the vocals totally or partially cut was the brilliant "ultraobscene". Here the experiment does pay off. For once the female vocals are completely in sync with the tune and add a new, powerful and sexual level to it, making it in my opinion one of the most original and best tunes of the year, on and off the dancefloor. I wonder if vocals were added to the rest of the album on the strength of their success here. Sadly it's one hit and a whole album ruined by misses. I have given it three stars for the tunes underneith and "ultraobscene", but I hope Breakbeat era go back to this track and really concentrate on what makes it work, while the others don't. If they do this, we could be in for some quality music in the hopefully not too distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Drum & Bass' Ronnie Size style with vocals, 16 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
This first album was produced by Ronni Size and it certainly mirrors his excellent 'Reprazant'. It is basically drum & bass throughout the album which I believe can get very dull, however the vocals (on most tracks) certainly do add another dimension to this style of music. If you like Ronni Size then I would cartainly consider this album, however watch out for the bass as my speakers found the going difficult during some tracks!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down, 3 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Ultra-Obscene (Audio CD)
I felt I had to post this review to drag down the ridiculously high overall rating. This is a set of pretty good Drum and Bass tracks, much more melodic than I was expecting, but mostly completely ruined by the absurd female vocals. I don't know what they were thinking covering up decent basslines with grating and whiny singing! I was expecting a big, bold, thumping set - this certainly is not that. This may or course be down to me simply expecting the wrong thing. with regards to general Drum and Bass albums, newer compilations do the job much better, e.g. Drum & Bass Arena by Andy C and Grooverider. Or just save yourself time and effort and go straight to Fabriclive.

Ultra-Obscene
Ultra-Obscene by Breakbeat Era (Audio CD - 1999)