Format: Audio CDChange

on 27 January 2005
When I bought the album after this "Little Black Numbers" I could not help but think to myself does this singer-songwriter have any more albums and what are they like?

So with that in mind I tracked this album down, and that was in the year 2000, and low and behold I find it's been re-released after the success of other female singer-songwriters of recent times.

This collection of 10 tracks that was her début album, was released in 1999 on her own "CAW" label is just over 32 minutes long and is of the same low-fi approach of the previous album.

Ms. Williams has even done the sleeve artwork herself as well as played guitar, and on some of the tracks co-produced and on some done the arrangement of the track.

On the song "Something like that" K.W. has even recorded the song as well as everything else on that track from vocals to the engineering it think this D.I.Y. style of recording by her is matter of necessity to save money, as this first recording she financed herself.

You will find that the lyrics to songs sound very personal and I think they relate to the deeply felt feelings of "Ms Williams".

This recording is a great snapshot of a talented artist who couldn't get a break from a major label but believed in her talent herself and this is the fruits of her first release I am glad to stay are available again for others to enjoy.

If you bought and enjoyed "Little Black Numbers" don't miss out the opportunity to buy this collection as its full of intense raw emotion that we all feel sometimes and K.W. conveys so eloquently on this album of vignettes.
on 12 February 2004
When I bought the album after this “Little black numbers” I could help but think to myself does this singer-songwriter have any more albums and what are they like?
So with that in mind I tracked this album down, and that was in the year 2000, and low and behold I find it’s been re-released after the success of other female singer-songwriters of recent times.
This collection of 10 tracks that was her debut album, was released in 1999 on her own “CAW” label is just over 32 minutes long and is of the same low-fi approach of the preceding album.
Ms. Williams has even done the sleeve artwork herself as well as played guitar, and on some of the tracks co-produced and done the arrangement of the track.
On the song “Something like that” K.W. has even recorded the song as well as everything else on that track from vocals to the engineering.
I think this D.I.Y. style of recording by her is matter of necessity to save money, as this first recording she financed herself.

You will find that the lyrics to songs sound very personal and I think they relate to the deeply felt feeling of “Ms Williams”.
This recording is a great snapshot of a talented artist who couldn’t get a break from a major label but believed in her talent herself and this is the fruits of her first release I am glad to stay are available again for people to enjoy.
If you bought and enjoyed her first album don’t miss out the opportunity to buy this collection as its intense raw emotion that we all feel some times and K.W. conveys them so eloquently on this album of vignettes.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2013
Debut album .. very good shows her talent .. better than I imagined it would be .. very happy with my purchase
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2003
The moment i got this album it became one of my all time favourites. Kathryn Williams is a wonderful song sculptor, these songs are slow and simple but so effective. Mostly accompanied by acoustic guitar, this album is a melancholy masterpiece... the highlights for me are night came and no-one to blame "said it in basic french, ive slept with someone else, i love her cos she looks like you, theres no one to blame, you just look the same, do i really have to choose?" Please get it if its available, this album is my best buy in the last year, and ive bought quite a number of albums in that time!
0Comment3 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 1999
An excellent album with haunting melodies and some heartrending lyrics. My one complaint is that there could have been more - with just 10 tracks it was over too quickly. If you like Jewel, Beth Orton and Billie Myers you'll like this.
0Comment2 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 1999
Having listened to this second time around began to appreciate just how good this album is. First time round I thought the lyrics were weak but beautifully sung, production leaves a lot to be desired (second time around too) Ben made me listen to it again, "oh you didn't like it? I thought you had more soul than that." Second time the lyrics hit you, especially What Am I Doing here? Similar in some ways to Beth Orton, Tracy Chapman. Great artwork too. Basically it's got beauty and soul.
0Comment1 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse