Heavyweight Dub/Killer Dub
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£29.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 March 2009
I had a Jamaican import of Killer Dub back in the 70's. Thick, heavy vinyl in an industrial cardboard cover. Thought it was the best dub album I'd ever heard. Copied it to cassette tape (well, you did, in those days) and lost the album.

Held on to the cassette and eventually transferred it to CD - still listening to it all these years later, but you can imagine what the quality is like.

So, here it is as a download. Technology, heh? In iTunes, the bit rate appears to be around 160kbps, but it's still a lot better than my original - and there's the extra album 'Heavyweight Dub' too! All things considered, it sounds great - really crisp high-hat, room shaking bass.

This is just such a lovely album. It is totally classic dub but there is such a sense of fun all the way through it - Christmas carols (?!), heavy metal guitar solos slipping in and out over thunderous bass, cheesy electric organ and that wonderful Riddim Section. O.k., I'm showing my age, but this reminds me of happy days before the drug of choice was crack cocaine, when you could roll a fat one and fall over.

So, this is where Ott et al got it from. Sometimes you need to get back to the source. Enjoy :-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 May 2014
Two brill dub albums that are nice and heavy but keep enough of the original melody not to scare off newbies to dub. If your only experience of Inner Circle is Bad boys, be prepared to be surprised. I recommend this CD to anyone who will listen.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 October 2012
Killer Dub and Heavyweight Dub are two albums from the late 1970s combined into this cd. Very good if you are into dub music so one for the collection.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...