5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling Albinoni
Published on 3 Nov 2008 by L. Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Humble genuis
Published on 26 Oct 2006 by Beaudoin-Frc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling Albinoni, 3 Nov 2008
L. Hunt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
From the first notes of the first concerto, it is easy to tell that the playing is going to sparkle. Manze and the Academy of Ancient music are on top form, enthusing the music with warm and virtuosity. The result is immensely satisfying to listen to. And Gramophone Magazine has a similar, if more informed, opinion: "I seem never to tire of these endlessly charming works and it is this set that perhaps contains Albinoni's crowning achievement in the concerto sphere, a lyrical Adagio for solo oboe with a simple string arpeggio accompaniment belonging to the Second Concerto... None of this is lost either on the three accomplished soloists - Andrew Manze, Frank de Bruine and Alfredo Bernardini - or the strings of the Academy of Ancient Music which provide lively and sensitive support. In short, the set affords uninterrupted pleasure from start to finish."

There are so many good bits... but the Concerto for oboe in D minor, Op.9/2: Adagio (Track 5) is sublime. I've heard lots of recordings of this on the radio, but this is the one that stands out and makes the CD worth buying for just this 5min 30 sec! It's the smoothest, least affected version. The oboist, Frank de Bruine, manages to make the notes soar effortlessly without faltering - the result is pure relaxation to listen to.

The rest of the concertos are a delight too. Both elegant and lively, they are as good as Baroque playing gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine masterpiece, 4 Sep 2010
Hanna Brightman "HB" (HB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
I heard Tomaso Albinoni's music occasionally on the radio and decided to buy his famous twelve concertos for violin and oboes. They have been a revelation to me, as I was only really familar with Vivaldi, Handel and Back from the Baroque composers. To say Albinoni's music is beautiful is not enough. It is truly timeless and divine. I came home after a hard work's week, stressed, tired and put Albinoni on. Suddenly a sense of peace descended on me, I felt as if for a while I was able to detach myself from my body and fly somewhere up to the sky from where I looked down on myself, and our world, and...as the majestic notes gently caressed my ears, my whole soul was moved. All our problems, our lives's woes and little conflicts became utterly irrelevant. I would not call myself a classical music buff and listen to a wide variety from rock, grunge and electronica to latin, pop and even country and folk. But Albinoni is really accessible to absolutely anyone anywhere, his music transcends trends, styles and time. It speaks universal language of the human soul. Shivers went down my spine and I sat there in total disbelief at the amazing sounds playing on my CD player. My whole being was moved to the core. I have made a good friend in Albinoni and will treasure his company from now on. Am looking forward to the London bike Skyride tomorrow with Albinoni on my ipod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performances of underrated concertos, 10 April 2011
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
This is a really good double CD of some of Albinoni's best music, very well performed by the invariably excellent Academy of Ancient Music under Christopher Hogwood.

This is rather underrated music, I think. It's certainly much more than the pleasant baroque wallpaper which many people think Albinoni to be. The adagio of Op.9 No.2, for example, is one of the loveliest movements I know in a baroque concerto. These are very fine performances, too, which bring out the verve, joy and sheer beauty of these concertos. Andrew Manze is always brilliant, but the oboists are also excellent. Frank de Bruine in particular has a lovely, flowing, effortless sound and I find that I prefer this set to my old CM90/Standage set with Anthony Robson, who by comparison seems a little plodding in his articulation and phrasing.

It isn't surprising that Andrew Manze and Christopher Hogwood, two real giants of Baroque performance, should bring something special to these concerti and the playing of Frank de Bruine is a real bonus. It's a lovely set and very warmly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Venetian treats, 13 Mar 2011
F. M. Muse "headspace traveller" (Leicester, Leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
Albinoni was a contemporary of Vivaldi, and upon first hearing, some of the allegro's here put one in mind of Vivaldi, yet upon further listening, a deeper, sometimes more reflective feel unfolds. Certainly a number of the pieces here show the unmistakeable influence of the earlier Arcangelo Corelli and are none the worse for all that; Corelli's compositional technique is believed to have been a significant influence on Bach.

There is music here which is by turns lively and stately, more or less reflecting the written form: allegro-adagio-allegro and the sonorities evoked by this ensemble are both contrasting and wonderful. The warmth of the period instrumentation is undoubtedly enhanced by the all-digital recording and the engineering and editing succeed in addressing any potential issues arising from recordings made in different locations, several years apart.

The musicianship, compositions and sound quality are first rate and this collection can be confidently recommended to anyone with a penchant for the baroque, and I would regard this set as a key acquisition for anyone starting to collect classical music. These are Venetian treats from a musically golden age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Jun 2011
Fantastic record.
Both really good for easy listening, and close listening. The Academy of Ancient Music with Hogwood, Manze, de Bruine and Bernardini really bring thes concertos to life and you can hear the vivid and fragile sound of the period instruments. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baroque around the Clock, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
I bought this after having heard Albinoni's Allegro in Gmi, performed by the Berlin Phil…. (I since learned that this is a approximation of the work as the original complete manuscripts were never found. This recording is back the the Baroque style in performance and interpretation…. totally gorgeous

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 July 2013
Mr. Pr Merrett "paulos_1" (Madrid) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
I've recently started listening to classical music, mainly to drown out the sound of people talking in my office and in order for me to be able to concentrate on my work, and it does the trick. It's pleasant, relaxing and very high quality classical music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying Op 9, 1 Aug 2005
A. Chapman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
These works are surprisingly inventive and assured. I would rate them highly within the stereotyped world of baroque music. Vastly superior to your average ( or even above average) Vivaldi concerto. Performances of the cti. for one or two oboes ( 8 from 12)could hardly be bettered. My only reservation is the violin tone in the others courtesy of Mr Manze. This is slightly astringent and demonstative for my taste although still enjoyable).

5.0 out of 5 stars a personal favourite for many years, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
A delightful, cheerful, melodious set of concertos, with the oboe dominant in some of the best. Distinct from, and lighter hearted than, the Bach equivalent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Humble genuis, 26 Oct 2006
Beaudoin-Frc. "Passacaglia" (Québec, Ville fortifiée (Canada )) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 (Audio CD)
Hogwood, Manze, Bernardini : with a list a stars of baroque music like this, I was thinking that I will hear some firework ! Unfortunetely,it is not the case here. It'not the fault of Hogwood. He has his usual ardour. We can feel his energy. No, I think the main problem is the composer, Tomaso Albinoni, himself. He does not authorize madness in exhibition, in virtuosity demonstration, and alas, in excess.

So the (beautiful) violon of Manze stay as good as gold ! The latter try to put, in the concertos number 1, 4, 7 and 10 , the maximum of energy he could in the spirit of the music written by the composer; but we stay on our appetite.

The oboes of Bruine and Bernardini, which have a huge place in this program, are sweet but not astounding.

The slow movements are very beautiful.

So, this music is pleasant but do not expect virtuosity here.

ARRAY(0xa5e2b5f4)

Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9
Albinoni: 12 Concertos, Op.9 by Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni (Audio CD - 1999)