on 28 August 2007
We bought this game in France this summer on a rainy afternoon, after playing it once in the toy shop. It is VERY addictive, and no two games are the same. Our seven year old and twelve year old can play it, but it is equally challenging for the grown-ups too! Two or four players can play, and the game enters a new dimention playing with four. I am just about to order one for my father-in-law's birthday present (who is in his sixties), and will order one for my brother in Australia next month for his birthday - although this is not just a game for the men! An added attraction is each game doesn't last too long - between 10 and 20 minutes, so family members can take it in turns, or it can be played when there are a few minutes to spare!
on 20 February 2012
Easily one of my favourite abstract strategy games - Quoridor can be easily explained and learnt in about 2 minutes and players will quickly start to see tactics and appreciate both the advantages and disadvantages that are inherent with each turn.

Object of the game:
To be the first player to move their pawn to the opposite side of the board. Each turn players may either move their pawn one space, or place one of their 'fences' to block movement.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is simple and quick with a typical game lasting around 20 minutes. Understanding the consequences of playing a fence is the key to this game which seems at first glance to be so plain. In my experience the option to have 4 players is a novelty and the best games are a classic two player duel - I can't imagine how a 3 player game would work as a key part of the game is moving past your opponent.

Quoridor can be enjoyed by both adults and children - however I can imagine younger children becoming frustrated with being blocked as with most two player strategy games the competition is very direct.

The Board & Pieces
This is one of the best looking and well-made games that I own - The varnished wooden pieces and board could sit quite happily next to a nice chess set.
on 18 February 2016
Such a simple game with simple rules, but very deep when you start to play someone and realise all the tactical options. Just have a couple of games and you'll be hooked! You could easily play this on pen and paper, or on a phone/tablet, but there's something satisfying about having the wooden pieces and playing it properly that can't be recreated. If you have the time and skill you could make your own set, but this is a great game and a brilliant gift.
on 16 December 2009
My wife an I play this with our children and with other adults. it is excellent fun. Games are not too long. Requires players to think a fee moves ahead and the fact that several players can "gang up" on someone prevents a great player from being able to dominate.
The only issue is an occasional outbreak of warfare from children who on't like being blocked!
on 13 November 2009
Brought this game for my dad, as he's usually impossible to buy for. He loved it and has bought copies for each of his children! The rules are really simple (place or move) but winning requires clever strategy and calculation. What I really like is how you might think you're winning easily, then a clever move/placing by your opponent and you're under. Top marks!
on 15 July 2015
Bought this after my son played at a friend's house
Its simple but utterly addictive.
A beautifully made board game ~ particularly liked the solid structure of the board itself
The best thing is that this game of strategy takes the kids off the computers & back into a board game
A must have for every family!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 May 2013
I love wood and this board game is beautiful. The game play is very simple, but with enough subtleties to be entertaining to any age group. I have dropped by 1 star, only because the board is smaller than I expected and a bit fiddly for big ham-fisted people like me.
on 3 February 2013
I bought this for my husband Christmas, he's not a game fanatic but absolutely loves this game. It's easy to pick up and quite quick to play. So glad this is the strategy game I chose. A bit like draughts but more exciting.
on 3 June 2014
Best played with four players, the game is simple to learn and hard to master. Games last 10-15 minutes depending on the level of indecisiveness which means you can play plenty of times rather than some interminably long strategy games.
on 9 December 2009
This is a really cool game. One of the best board games I ever played. It's fun and also educational. You have to use your brain :) I can recommend it also for kids and for grownups. It is challenging for both. All the emotion... you can get angry, but also very excited if you win and you just want to play some more :). Every game is different. Sometimes even when you think you've won, the game can turn around and you can still lose. So it's really fun.

See one answered question