4.0 out of 5 stars Great voices - lots of fun
A friend of mine played this for me and I loved it. Great country songs, many with a touch of humour, and the singing is brilliant. The variety of the female voices adds to the enjoyment and as a newcomer to John Prine (and indeed many of the women he duets with) I was very impressed.
Published on 26 Feb 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work
With an impressive line up of artistes and John Prine's strong, witty performances I expected far more from this album which I chose to buy because I always liked In Spite of Ourselves. It is pretty dull stuff to my ears....Download this one track and go to one of his other albums would be my recommendation
Published 4 months ago by ROBERT PAUL HINXMAN

4.0 out of 5 stars Great voices - lots of fun, 26 Feb 2004
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Prine Time, 8 Feb 2010
G. Jeffrey - See all my reviews
This review is from: PRINE,JOHN-IN SPITE OF OURSELVES (Audio CD)
This is easy listening John Prine at his most sweet - songs to make you smile. Some of these old school classics, while all worthwhile in their own right, might not be as affecting as the best of Prine's own work, but that is not the point. Prine brings his own gentle, completely unpretentious style to the songs and this collection is full of his characteristic warmth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 21 April 2014
ROBERT PAUL HINXMAN (Market Harborough, Leics England) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Far From His Best, 28 Jun 2009
Michael Nicholl (Derry. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PRINE,JOHN-IN SPITE OF OURSELVES (Audio CD)
Got this recording close to its release date, played it a half dozen times thinking it would be a grower, and haven't played it since. I am a fan of John Prines work, but as far as this offering is concerned, I am only glad that I was aware of how good he is before listening to this. If you are looking for a fair introduction to the talent that is John Prine, then ignore 'In Spite Of Ourselves' as it will leave the wrong impression entirely. It is not that it is bad, it is simply just not representative of a superb talent, but then I suppose every great artist is entitled to a momentary lapse in reason. Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, Neil Young and even Bob Dylan have all been there, so JP is in good company at least.

PRINE,JOHN-IN SPITE OF OURSELVES
PRINE,JOHN-IN SPITE OF OURSELVES by John Prine (Audio CD)