5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully crazy and crazily wonderful

Published on 5 Oct 2000 by Tom Collinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully crazy and crazily wonderful, 1 Mar 2003
J. W. Bassett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
Russell Jones aka ODB has always been a loose cannon. But it was the period around this release where the ODB train totally derailed, with Jones ending up in prison (not before leading the FBI a merry dance around the entire United States). I guess we shouldn’t have been too surprised, while his peers in the Wu took on gangster or superhero personas, ODB declared in 1999 that he had renamed himself Big Baby Jesus. Somewhere between insanity and incarceration ODB released this, his second solo long player.
The album opener, ‘Recognize’, features Chris Rock serving as a master of ceremonies by announcing that, “This ain’t the young DB / this the old DB / this ain’t the embryo DB.” This is followed by the first of many unintelligible verses from ODB himself. ‘I Can’t Wait’ continues this trend, ODB has never been exactly coherent, but here he is totally crazed, one can only imagine what the recording sessions must have been like. It initially appears that the track will succumb to hip hop cliché as ODB offers shout outs to Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg as well as other rappers, but the fantastic climax actually has ODB offering shout outs to the army, air force, submarines and Eskimos and thanks them for (and this is not a joke), “playing my music in the submarines and the boats.” Any doubts as to whether or not ODB has lost the plot are answered on this track.
The album’s best known track is undoubtedly ‘Got Your Money’ this is the song that finally brought The Neptunes a mainstream hit. ODB offers a lovely sentiment at the beginning of the track, “This goes out to all the pretty girls in the world and all the ugly girls too / cos to me you’re pretty anyway.” Before going on to slur one of my favourite ever lines, “I don’t have no trouble with you f***ing me / but I’ve got a little problem with you not f***ing me.” It’s a great song, and the best hip hop top ten entry this country has ever had.
Elsewhere, ‘You Don’t Want To F**k With Me’ is as uncompromising as the title suggests. One can’t help but think that if any other artist performed this song it would be utterly dire. Somehow, ODB makes this a really enjoyable track. The lyrics are disgusting, and at times, you get the impression that ODB is just making the stuff up as he goes along, but nevertheless, he is never anything else than entirely entertaining. The track ends, fittingly, with a belch and some screaming. Elsewhere, ODB offers a garbled cover of Rick James’ ‘Cold Blooded’ and he croaks and murmurs through the Billie Holliday standard, ‘Good Morning Heartache’.
ODB is a man wrought with conflicts, the chorus of ‘Rollin Wit You’; “Jesus, I’m rolling wit you” is sandwiched between more profanities than nearly any track I’ve ever heard. Meanwhile, on ‘I Want P***y’, ODB denounces prostitutes claiming somewhat unbelievably, “I want p***y for free / I don’t want none of y’all having my money.” Confusingly, on the finale ‘Cracker Jack’, ODB exclaims that, “Girls ain’t pretty to me anymore / cos you ain’t being a real wh**e.” The album closes with ODB offering some salient advise to the listener, “If you wanna die, you gotta drink my sperm / the other way to die, is eat a can of worms.” I guess the sensible thing to do is not to analyse what Jones is saying too closely.
This is unlike any album I have ever heard. It seems increasingly likely that ODB won’t step back into the studio and record another proper long player (his recent release, ‘The Trials & Tribulations of Russell Jones’ was little more than a series of recycled verses and shoddy guest raps). If he doesn’t make another album it will be a real shame, because on ‘N***a Please’, ODB is never anything less than 100% entertaining. But if he doesn’t at least he has left us with one wonderfully crazy album.

5.0 out of 5 stars madman or genius, 27 Feb 2008
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
anyone reading this take no notice of the bad review by tom ,sure at times it can be a hard listen but that makes it all the better when it clicks,any one who knows the wu tang should know what to expect,the ramblings of a madman yea sure sometimes, the excellence of a genius yea sometimes,they say there is a fine line between madness and genius this is a madman at his most genius,buy it now you wont regret it,i dont do reviews but when a record like this recieves a bad review i feel compelled too,RIP ODB

4.0 out of 5 stars LMAO, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
This album has just come through the post today, and judging by the first 3 songs..I like what I hear. Don't get me wrong, this album is not for everyone as not everyone will get the late, great ODB's style, but man is he hilarious! This is the kind of album that will cheer you up if you're down. The track "I can't wait" is freaking hilarious, especially the ending part of it. ODB's style is so unique that the only thing I can liken this cd to is like stand-up comedy in cd form..but the thing that makes it good is that the beats he's rhyming to are actually pretty tight. I miss this crazy dude!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big up Bastard, 5 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
This album amplifies the bizzare side of ODB. It has many humorous lyrics and in many parts is slightly racist, but what the hell we won't hold it against him after all it is the origin of hip hop. To sum up in 3 words this album is OFF IT'S FACE.

5.0 out of 5 stars crazyyyyyyy, 24 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
this album is great althought it alot different to his 1st solo album and is different to other wu solo projects,this album is crazy and messed up which makes this album great and it one of my faves because of ol dirty's style

2.0 out of 5 stars Noise, 5 Oct 2000
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
Altough I enjoyed one or two songs on this album, the majority of the tracks were of poor quality. His vocals became repetitive and noisy. Track number 7 is an example of the noise he creates. The album is just over 30 minutes long which also made me dislike it more. This is too short for an album in my opinion, I wouldn't have minded if the songs were of better quality. This is probably the worst Wu Tang related album I have listened to.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is exactly what the title is Nigga Please!, 15 Jan 2002
This review is from: N***A Please (Audio CD)
This i think was the most worst album i have ever bought, it was hard to understand, some songs it seemed like he couldnt remember the verses to his own album. With help from the smash hit producers "Neptunes", Chris Rock, and kelis, this album still did not catch my ear. The total break down of it all is that the first Track (produced by neptunes) with chris rock is good......well its decent. The 2nd Track is O.k, The third track is once again a neptunes blessing so it helps a litttle, then the hit song (yeah right) baby i got your money. so overall this album get 1 mic..................sad

N***A Please
N***A Please by Ol Dirty Bastard (Audio CD - 1999)