5.0 out of 5 stars Number 4 is it...
Published on 6 Jun 2003 by nicjaytee

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Sadly I have to say I was disappointed with this compilation. Chill out music? Some tracks were OK but many are boring, bland and repetitious. Perhaps if Cafe del Mar put out less C/Ds, paying more attention to the tracks they would have a better product!
Published on 1 Mar 2008 by none

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 4 is it..., 6 Jun 2003
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
Okay... I've never been to Ibiza, I'm too old to chill out after a hectic night's clubbing, other than Stan Getz & John Martyn I've never heard of any of the artists on the album and, my friends are getting seriously worried that I'm hitting a mid life crisis. But... if this is what being around 18 when the sun comes up on a distant beach is all about then count me in!

A quite stunning compilation of laid back, ambient tracks that could so easily lapse into "mid-90's lift muzak" but under Jose Padilla's deft and perceptive hand ends up being challenging & interesting as well as superbly relaxing. Selecting and combining such marvellous, often totally obscure recordings into a seamless whole deserves a five star recommendation on its own but, what carries this album through, is its sheer quality: just about every track is a winner. Who are the "Voices of Kwahn", "Wasis Diop", "Les Jumeaux" & "Fila Brazillia"?... more importantly, how can they remain so unknown when they can play such magnificent music? Anyone who can scan the current and past music scenes without preconception or prejudice to produce such an effective, wholly cohesive album deserves serious praise indeed. And... to cap it all, his own opening track - "Que Bonito" - perfectly captures what follows: a beautiful celebration of being here and now.

Reviewers of Jose Padilla's' "Café del Mar" series have their favourites: is it number 5, number 6, number 3 or number 2 ? They're all good, but for me number 4 is it... one of the very best late-night (or early morning) records ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Café Del Mar (CDM) Album in the series yet..., 15 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
This is quite simply the best CDM mix in the series I think so far. Absolutley love it!. I have 7 Cafe Del Mar compilations and this one simply stands head and shoulders above the rest. Not to say that the others are not great but this is just my favourite.
Love "Que Bonito" (1), "No Sant" (7) especially and "Street Tattoo" (14) aswell as the fantastic "OffShore" by Chicane.
Keep it up Senor Padilla et al.
Peace......
Cari

4.0 out of 5 stars Cafe Del Mar Marvelous!!, 8 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album to chill you out. I definately would recommend this album to anyone who wishes to buy their first Cafe Del Mar CD. The best Track for me on the CD is Grillos, the Guitar playing is awesome, Trust me. Its a worthwhile purchase for your CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 19 Nov 2002
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
Having listened to the Cafe Del Mar series up to no. 6 plus the Aria 1 & 2 I have decided that this is definitely my all time favourite CDM album. I started listening to it after a few joints and my brother and I just used to listen to it over and over again. Sunshines Better by John Martyn is definitely the stand out track for me but they are all oustanding. If ever you just need to chill out and relax look no further than Cafe Del Mar Vol. 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that makes makes you high..., 26 Oct 1999
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
Came upon this CD by accident and it has a hold of me like no others before it...it makes you high. It's music for those moments when you need to relax and listen to something without paying to much attention to it....But it still gets into your head...and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lay Back and RELAX!, 15 Jun 2007
C. Calisgil "Leyla" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
Had never heard of the Cafe del Mar series, but heard this CD playing whilst browsing in a book shop and just had to ask what it was. (Unfortunately they didn't sell it!!). That was a couple of years ago and it still remains one of my favourite CDs. Not only do I think it's the ultimate in chillout music, but every visitor to our home who hears it comments on how good it is and then goes away and buys it! Need I say more?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best Cafe Del Mar Album, 14 Nov 2007
S. Pattani - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
I have listened to most of the Cafe Del Mar Compilations and this is the cream of the crop. This is the album that introduced me to chilled out out beats and is the one still I listen to 7 years on! Not to mention all the memories with a ex girlfriend..i will stop there, ha ha. Buy this album for a great jounrney!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach lounging, 18 July 2010
D. P. B. Joyce (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
I first heard this album whilst in a retaurant in Brighton many years ago. After asking what it was, I went out and bought it that same week. It went with me on my summer holiday to the Med that year and has been with me on every beach holiday ever since. No other album either before or since quite has the atmosphere of Vol 4. Every time I listen to it now. it conjures up wonderful images of lazy days on sandy beaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have chillout collection, 23 Aug 2007
Mr. Mark Tabone (Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 (Audio CD)
If you are a chillout lover or if you just cannot afford to buy all the chillout series out there, Cafe del Mar Vol 4 is the best ever chillout collection you will ever own, just buy it before it becomes hard to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY THE BEST CHILLOUT, 21 Jan 2008
Mr. J. Bradford "IBIZA-JON" (south west london) - See all my reviews
WHAT CAN I SAY I GAVE IT 5 STARS (WISH IT WERE 10) IT HASNT LEFT MY STEREO
YET A TRULEY REMARKABLE ALBUM CAN IT GET ANY BETTER

Cafe Del Mar Volume 4
Cafe Del Mar Volume 4 by Jose Padilla (Audio CD - 2001)
Click for more info