5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet, 31 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
Bofore buying this album, I had not heard any of Meshell's work - my decision to buy was based purely on reviews - however, I am so glad I did decide to do so. This CD is one I don't think I could live without. Despite being nearly five years since release, the tracks remain to sound modern and new. Meshell has a fantastice voice, and her lyrics are amongst some of the best I have ever heard - her tracks are all intelligent, honest, and some are painfully sad.
This album is certainly about the tragic side of love, the majority of the songs being about love gone wrong. However, despite this the album is not depressing! There are tracks which are truly beautiful for their simplicity ( e.g. "Beautiful )and there are tracks which portray the happier side to relationships ( e.g. "Satisfy" ).
I don't understand why Meshell's music has not taken off in England - this is a woman who has bags of talent. Perhaps it is because she does not shy away from being so honest - for example, in the track "Faithful", the lyrics include, "I believe my lies are truth / Why won't you eat what you are fed. . . No one is faithful I am weak / I go astray." To me, this shows fragility and what it is to be human - that emotions are never simple and some times people make bad decisions in relationships.
This is a fantastic album. If you enjoy soul music at all, I suggest you go out and get yourself a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, personal, atmospheric & unpredictable ballads, 3 Oct 2000
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
You often feel too close for comfort, with these brutally honest & personal songs. Genuinely haunting lyrics,passionately controlled delivery, she deserves huge acclaim.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Beautiful", 26 Feb 2003
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the most incredible albums I have ever heard. Her music is made up of amazingly honest lyrics and beautiful orchestration. It is full of great songs, my favourite being 'Beautiful'. Ndegeocello's voice will send shivers down your spine. I have nothing more to say other than, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
What an incredible album. I've yet to plat this to someone who doesn't buy this album straight afterwards. Beautiful, heartfelt songs and melodies, incredible musicianship and immaculate, 'live' sounding production. A gem. If you own this, you know what I mean. If you don't, you should!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invitation into Me'Shell's world, 5 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed her 1st and 2nd albums. It was clear to me that here had emerged a talented and gifted vocalist and songwriter - with plenty of funk, jazz, soul. But with Bitter I think Me'Shell has moved up a rung, moved up in fact higher than her peers. The album, took me by surprise - no funk, no guitars. This is Me'shell with a difference, songs and melodies, simple and haunting and beautiful. This album is sung by a woman who has seen and perhaps still feeling pain. As I listened I felt I had opened the door into her most intimate and private thoughts. What I heard was raw - pain, longing, hope, love. It's melancholy yet hopeful and definitely cathartic. I felt it all and loved it all and advise you to do the same,

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Special, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
Like a lot of people, it seems, I discovered this artist quite by accident. Sometimes there are songs which you only need to hear once and you know they're going to be part of your 'most important songs' forever. So was the case with this album, especially 'Bitter', the title song. This is a painfully intense and melancholic song, and if you've ever loved someone who won't speak to you any more, this will probably move you enormously. It is gentle and soft which makes it brutal in that there are no barriers to the beautiful and powerful lyrics, there's nothing to hide behind. It is honest and it will cut into you, like real music should. Other tracks are also really good as you would expect. I'd say if you're an emotional listener, in other words, you don't just listen to the beat (bass is awesome on these tracks too), you will get a lot out of this album. And I'm not easily impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb compulsary listening, 28 Nov 2007
Daphne Ligthart "Daffers" (Bracknell, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bitter (Audio CD)
This album just drags you in and covers you like a warm blanket. The song 'Beautiful' is just that....

Bitter
Bitter by Meshell Ndegeocello (Audio CD - 1999)