‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful music, 22 Sept. 2001
S. Maltz "saltysteve" (the uk) - See all my reviews
I've written so many reviews of this album and i still can't sum it up properly. This was the first Ataris album that I brought, but now I have them all exept for their ep. Their music is powerful emotional punk rock, and each track is almost of work of art; every line of every song has a deep meaning; every track speaks to you in a different way.
NB. If you've recently been rejected by a girl, the tracks 'Your Boyfriend Sucks' and 'The last song i'll ever write about a girl' are pretty handy. 'San Dimus High School Football Rules' is a massive track too, and there is a cool acoustic performance of it on 'let it burn' (another cool record).
The Ataris' latest work 'End is Forever' is THE best punk rock album in my collection. Kris Roe is one heart broken guy, but he sure writes and creates the best music i have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 July 2002
The Ataris have been kicking punk ass for years now but as bands such as Sum 41 and New Found Glory become more internationally well known, as do The Ataris. I've had this CD spinning on my player now for since summer 2000 and it's unbelievably hard to pin point one song I dislike.
My favourite Ataris song, not just from the 'Blue Skies...' album, but overall, 'San Dimas High School Football Rules' is the most astonishing on the album, and no matter how many times you listen to it, you will never be tierd of hearing it because it is a piece of punk genius! '1*15*96* is a lot more commercial than many of The Ataris songs, but is defenitly a four-star tune. Unlike punk bands such as Blink 182, The Ataris are far more mature, experimenting with deeper lyrics... All in all, what I generally should have said from the beginning is...this album is brilliant. You don't even have to be a hardcore punk fan to agree, but if this isn't included in your CD collection then you don't know what you are missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go and buy it!, 11 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
How can so many good songs be on one CD????? This is a brilliant album filled with emotional and energetic tracks, from the more well known songs such as San Dimas High School Football to the less well known but equally good I Won't Spend Another Night Alone. However for me the best song is definately The Last Song I Will Ever Write About A Girl, which has so much energy it tends to make the second half of the album a bit of a dissapointment. If you havent heard them before and you like punk bands such as The Vandals, New Found Glory, Fenix Tx etc then you will love this album which is The Ataris at their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic..., 21 April 2002
By A Customer
I bought this CD a week or so ago on recommendation of the reviews it had gotten on Amazon and I am unbelieveably pleased by the quality of the album! Blue Skies... is a phenomenal album! It's exactly as the title says and forget groups like Blink 182 or Sum 41 - this kind of punk has depth and it's hard not to relate to some of the songs in the album. A few personal favourites of mine are "The last song I will ever write about a girl", "1*15*96" and "I won't spend another night alone". Wheter you're getting over a broken heart, or you're falling in love - this album puts those feelings into song and I've never heard anything so brilliant in a long, long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best out there, 16 Feb. 2002
Having listened to punk, and emo for several years now, I have found dozens of great bands, but the ataris topped them all. This cd is just the icing on the perfect cake. There is no way to not relate to Kris' lyrics, or play (air) guitar or drums after hearing these. I cant find fault in a single song on this album. Buy it please, for the sake of your aching ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cd ever, 10 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
One word describes this cd wow It pulls at your heart strings makes you cry and smile not many cds are as good as emotional written with as much feeling as this one. Its packed with raw emotion its catchy and it pulls at your heart in ways no cd ever has before BUY THIS CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best CD I Own, 20 Dec. 2003
Simply put, "Blue Skies, Broken Hearts ... Next 12 Exits" is my favourite album. Whilst I have an burning urge to spout endless superlatives about how perfect this record is, I won't. It wouldn't make for a very interesting review and anyway, wouldn't be entirely accurate.
Getting the negatives out of the way, after "The Last Song I Will Ever Write About A Girl" the album does get a tad same-y. The brief drum intro to "Choices" sounds nearly identical to that of "I Won't Spend Another Night Alone" and "Life Makes No Sense" and "Answers" aren't very distinguishable from each other. Other than that though, the album is, quite frankly, a triumph.
If forced to pick standout tracks, it would have to be "San Dimas High School Football Rules", "I Won't Spend Another Night Alone" and "Broken Promise Ring". They are three of the finest examples of the nouveau punk scene. "San Dimas" has wonderfully heartfelt lyrics and a pounding 54 second outro, "I Won't Spend Another Night Alone", some of my favourite words ever encapsulated in song and amazingly bouncy, almost lilting accompaniment and "Broken Promis Ring" the most raw, honest vocals of the lot and an explosive minute-plus closing that still takes my breath away, even after more than a hundred listens.
If you do not buy this album, you do not know what you are missing out on. I believe it to be the best album in the punk-pop genre, and up there with any other record you care to mention. Five stars indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word.... Brilliant, 7 May 2001
By A Customer
I heard of The Ataris about 6 months ago and ... shortly after I bought this album on a whim...and it's the best CD I have ever bought! The lyrics are great, they left me filled with sentimentality, especially San Dimas... and the tunes are so catchy, you'll have them going round your head for ages. The last couple of songs aren't so brilliant but good all the same, if you like catchy pop-punk with singalong lyrics and infectious riffs then buy this album, DEFINITELY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, go buy it now!, 13 Jun. 2001
I first heard about "The Ataris" when i bought "Short music for short people," i searched for them on amazon and found them. This album has a realy good punk rock vibe to it that fans of Blink 182 and lit would love. Songs such as "The last song i will ever write about a girl" and "Better way" are probably the best on the album, but the great songs run all the way through. A fantastic album, five big fat stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful power punk, 17 May 2001
By A Customer
Every time I listen to this it both tears me up inside and makes me incredibly happy. Nothing can pick me up better than The Ataris, nor make me feel more nostalgic. New Found Glory comes close, but The Ataris have a special quality that makes their music really come alive. My favourite tracks on this album include The Last Song I Will Ever Write About a Girl, I Won't Spend Another Night ALone, Your Boyfriend Sucks, and the utterly sublime 1*15*96. But honestly, I have a hard time just listing those four because all the songs on this CD are class. You can't go wrong with this one!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Skies Broken Hearts [VINYL]
Blue Skies Broken Hearts [VINYL] by Ataris (Vinyl - 1999)