Format: Audio CD|Change

22. The Tracks OF My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The The Miracles
23. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted -- Jimmy Ruffin
24. Mad About The Boy -- Dinah Washington
25. The Girl From Ipanema -- Astrud Gilberto

Along with a host of very well-known tracks, a few lesser-known ones, too!
on 18 April 2010
This is a superb compilation and as the previous reviewer stated - heavily advertised during the summer of 1999 on TV. Most of the tracks sixties afficionados will know very well and have in their collection. However the point of my brief review is to inform buyers that this is one of the few CD's where THE MERSEYS - SORROW can be found. I am surprised this CD is priced so low as the aforementioned track is so hard to find. Try other 60's compilations and you'll see what I mean. The Merseys own CD A & B Sides Rarities etc (which is not that great incidentally) featuring Sorrow is also commanding very high prices. Although Bowie covered this track on Pin Ups in 1973 and had a huge hit with it - it's the Merseys version which sums up mid 1960's early pyschedelia. Conclusion - for those who don't have this track - forget the Merseys A & B's... and buy this CD now before it's price rockets out of all proportion.

Thanking you for reading this little piece of data.
This compilation was well-advertised at the time of it's release in the summer of 1999. It is now hard to find in the shops but it's still available from Amazon, fortunately.

It is very different from the sixties summer party album which I've also reviewed. There are a few tracks which appear on both collections, but not many, especially considering that there are 50 here and 54 on the other collection. This, being a love collection rather than a party album, is generally slower.

The title is slightly misleading - there are very few summer songs (Sunny and Sitting in the park are the obvious ones) so this works just as well at any time of year. Still, it seems that the word summer in the title helps sales at that time of the year. Also, I've never thought of Whiter shade of pale or House of the rising sun as love songs - but they are classics, so nobody will object to their inclusion.

Of course, there have been many double-CD's of sixties hits released over the last few years. Some tracks are included more often than others and which ones appeal most will often depend on how many of your personal favorites are included, or how many songs you are missing from your own collection. However, this is undoubtedly a very strong compilation which I find extremely enjoyable listening.

By popular request, here is the track listing.

CD 1

22 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles* - The Tracks Of My Tears 2:51
23 Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted 2:53
24 Dinah Washington - Mad About The Boy 2:47
25 Astrud Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema 3:41
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2013
I love the sixties a great varied album with some great songs which will always be played. Would recommend highly great value for money.
on 26 December 2011
This is a compilation of Sixties music, supposedly - but how are we supposed to know this? There is no point in advertising compilation albums unless you provide a full listing of album tracks and the artistes to confirm whether or not they are original recordings. With so many compilation albums often extensively overlapping in content, I suspect that few people would purchase such an album simply on the strength of its title and/or a reference to the Sixties. Provision of a full track listing ought to be a compulsory requirement for advertising albums on Amazon. After all, it is not unknown for the same album title from the same artiste to be issued with different mixes of tracks.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2012
I've never thought of myself as a fan of sixties music, despite growing up in the sixties. As I've got older (more mature?) I've come to appreciate the songwriting craft, musicianship and production values to be found in so many songs.

I bought this for some DJ'ing work and it's one of those rare compilations that gives me everything I want and nothing I don't. It's going to get played at home a lot!

Of course, look at the tracklisting and you can make up your own mind. Thinking out loud though, to have a compilation that mixes pop, soul, rock 'n' roll and latin classics from both sides of the Atlantic - and really the best of this music from the era - is a real treat.

This is available for a pocket-money price. It's the one to get and even if you only play it once a year, you'd be mad to let this slip past you...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2013
I particularly like the track selection on this compilation. Although I have many other sixties compilations, this was the only one that included the brilliant 'Sorrow' by the Merseys.Naturally, I had to have it!
on 2 July 2013
All original recordings.Personally I like earlier 60s music and there is a few on here,but this is more for the person who likes the later stuff,but its still good listening.nice one.
on 20 July 2014
All original recordings, very enjoyable.
on 13 March 2016
Him-in-doors chose this to listen to in the car and he is very happy with it. Great price. Delivered promptly and in good condition.