Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£11.90+ £1.26 shipping

on 19 April 2000
A splendid recording, out-pointing what must (at the price) be considered its rival, the Naxos version. The orchestra is well-miked and the conducting lively. The cast has strength in depth and the characterisations excellent. The soloists are well forward, with plenty of "air" around them; the chorus seems to be a bit distant, but this is quickly disregarded. I don't understand why they split the discs in the middle of a scene, and the booklet is typical of the price range - no translation (only libretto) and the synopsis not cross-referenced to tracks, but an amazing bargain for the price.
Richard Thomas
on 12 March 2012
William Matteuzzi was overlooked too many times. He has a far better voice than Florez but perhaps he does not cut as fine a figure? In this recording of Sonnambula I think he surpasses Florez and Pavarotti. His voice is silvery, secure and powerful. He sings with great confidence and delicacy.

The sound recording is terrific and the orchestra and chorus under Gabrielle Bellini are top notch.

Eva Lind struggles at times, but, nevertheless, her performance is admirable. I'm not going to say that she is technically better than Sutherland (no one was) but her diction is far superior, and frankly, I do feel Sutherland's second Sonnambula was taking a little too much license. Now I know this is tantamount to sacrilege, but(come what may)... she produces a wooly sound. There, I've said it.