4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy fun
This game is great for kids. It's bright, it's fun, it's edgey (pirates!) it can entertain 2-4 at any one time. Bring it out when you're kids are having a party and it'll keep them quiet(ish) for a while.

I found it to be durable, the only worry is losing some of the swords which may be too small for the very young (or old).

There's no batteries = no...
Published on 9 Sep 2007 by David Bowers

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the danger?
I bought this for my 4 year old. It is well made (I opened it up and it's quite simple, therefore not likely to break) and he quite likes it.

However, I remember the pirate used to shoot out of the barrel with some force but now it's disappointingly weak. There's no anticipation build up as the pop-up is a bit of a non-event.

I don't want any...
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by Grant Thomson

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy fun, 9 Sep 2007
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)

There's no batteries = no extra cost and there's no staring at a screen. Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpredictable winner- always fair!, 20 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
A game for all ages from 1 and half up, yet still just as entertaining and challenging for the 70 year olds! Just put in your blade to try to make the pirate pop up,or play the opposite, put in your blade and hope he doesn't! Colour coded blades allow for upto four players/teams. Different blade hole each time produces winner/loser. Excellent fun and totally fair.

5.0 out of 5 stars we love it!, 11 Dec 2007
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
this is a great toy and helped a lot in teaching my 3 year old daughter about taking turns and waiting for your own turn. Its very funny when the pirate pops up, and you can change the rules to make it that you have won, or you are out, when he pops up. Its easy for a young child to stick the swords in the barrel, you sometimes have to hold it steady but overall the toy is quite robust. Also my daughter liked counting all the swords and sorting them into different coloured piles. Overall a great family game that they dont get bored of.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Fun!!, 15 Jan 2007
Deborah Page (Leigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
Bought this for my 3 year old nephew for xmas but my three o'clock everyone from my ten year old son to my 85 year old grandma had had a go!

A really fun, simple game that doesn't require any tricky construction and is easy to use.

A classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, Tense And A Barrel Of Fun, 15 Nov 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
We played this game recently in a group of 4 with ages ranging from 6-98 and I must admit that I hadn't played it for years.

I was a bit skeptical at first however after about 15mins I (and many others) started to get into it.

The product itself and the supporting accessories are made of very good quality material given the price point and is nicely presented with a durable and quality feel to it.

The game itself is very easy to play and involves firstly lowering the pirate downwards as far as it goes and then distributing the swords evenly between all the players. Each player then takes it in turn to stick each sword into the barrel (stabbing the pirate in the process!) and the one that activates the sensitive spring mechanism will eject the pirate upwards and will be eliminated from the game. You then repeat the process and the person that manages to not activate it will remain and be declared the eventual winner.

The barrel changes the location of the spring sensitive slot each time so you never know where it's new location will be.

You can have between 2-4 players playing the game and we found that playing with 4 made the game a lot more effective.

You can play it at varying speeds although my elderly relative tested our patience on a number of occasions, especially when he was declared the winner!. My 6 year old cousin really enjoyed it and although this game targets the 4-8 age group, we found that it's a game that can be played by a wide range of people from all ages (above 4 ideally) from a number of different backgrounds. It was Exciting, Tense and A Barrel Of Fun.

We found that it was a great way to bond the family together and provide fun without sitting in a room ignoring each other whilst having our eyes glued to our Apple devices, TV and books.

Verdict: Exciting, Tense and A Barrel Of Fun

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars best family game, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
I saw this game originally on the UK show Supernanny. She had explained how much fun it is to play this as a family. I went ahead and purchased this and it is by far the funnest family game for my 2 and 4 yr old daughters. They absolutely love putting the swords in and seeing who can pop up the pirate first. Although I think the objest is to see who can last thelongest w/o popping the pirate. It is much more fun for my kids when the winner pops the pirate. I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for a few laughs and quality time w/their kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie, 12 Nov 2011
Emma W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
This is a classic game for 2-4 players I knew from years ago, and it's just as much fun as I remembered. Players choose a sword colour and take turns inserting swords until the pirate pops up. The "trigger" slot changes when you twist the pirate round so there is no danger of you remembering which slot to choose. Any age can enjoy playing and each game doesn't go on for more than a few minutes.

A word of warning though, when the pirate pops up, the eject mechanism is quite strong so make sure you don't have your face directly above him when you are putting swords in. And it does seem to make people jump at first as it goes with a fairly loud pop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab game, 26 April 2011
I think this is a great game. You can play it with quite a few players or a child on their own can enjoy seeing how long until the pirate pops up. It's still fun to play as an adult. I have bought a couple of these now as gifts and they have been well received.

5.0 out of 5 stars tomy pop up pirate, 18 Jan 2008
S. smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
This is so much fun, me and my 3 year old son love it. One of the best things about it is the fact that you dont need batteries. The suspense of the game it great and the pop up pirate makes us jump every time no matter how often we have played it. It is so easy to set up my son does it all and feels quite confident and important about that. Putting the swords in the barrel is good for a childs co ordination, counting them into equal groups of differnt colours for each player is also educational.
We love it and are glad we bought it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yarrrg!, 24 April 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TOMY Pop-Up Pirate (Toy)
Classic game we all know!

You just attach the pirates head into the top of the barrel with a little press and away you go. Taking turns to slide your sword into the barrel unt suddenly the pirates head pops up and off! The shock on little kids faces is classic even after they know what's going to happen!

It's so simple yet brilliant as the best games are. Great stuff.

TOMY Pop-Up Pirate