Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£9.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 January 2011
The album `Running with scissors' by the critically acclaimed and long time king of parody Weird Al Yankovic is a true career highlight. His choice and ability to blend an eclectic mix of late nineties pop and alternative rock within his polkas provides a real snapshot of the times and a welcome flashback to those who are familiar with the period. His original songs give just enough to the current listener to make this purchase a justified for any collection and although each and every song is comedy based they do not tire easily like other related acts.

The Album opens with `the Saga begins' a comprehensive parody of Don McLean's `American Pie' and is clever and surprisingly deep. Other parody highlights are `Jerry Springer', an amusing tale of an addiction to the once watched `Jerry Springer Show' and `Pretty Fly for a Rabbi' a hilarious spin on `Pretty fly for a white guy' by the now largely forgotten Offspring.

The album ends with a climax unlike any other Weird Al album before or since. The epic life story that is `Albuquerque' unravels like a comedians yarn and the 11 plus minutes pass with laughter lubricated ease.

One of the main factors that keeps Weird Al appealing is the longevity of his music and although he may not be seen as a serious industry contender his career has outlasted many of the artists he has featured on his album.
My one warning would be the slightly dated feel of the music if the listener was unfamiliar with the period. Everything else including production, lyrical content and structure is worth shelling out for.
on 17 April 2011
My wife and I were planning on going to the Weird Al concert in Christchurch NZ on March 8th but the concert was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. This was a great backup to that and I heartily recommend it if you need your spirits lifted.
on 20 January 2004
[One CD, with a running time of 47:48 minutes.] This CD shows that Weird Al still has it. He is the king of kookiness. Contained herein are nine parodies (including The Saga Begins, that tells the story of Star Wars: Episode 1 to the tune of Don McLean's America Pie), and three original songs. Some of the lyrics are a little explicit, but not too bad. Overall they are pretty good.
The paperwork contains the words to the songs, plus a few pictures. Most fun, though, the CD contains a secret subfolder that contains a Quicktime Movie, that shows the "real" Al (or more likely not). I do love extras!
Just when you thought it was safe to forget about "Weird Al" Yankovic, he comes back with "The Saga Begins," a lyrical adaptation of "Star Wars I" to Don McLean's "American Pie." This is probably Al's most inspired effort since the classic "Smells Like Nirvana" and his "Running With Scissors" album is one of his better collective efforts although I freely admit I might never get used to the look of Yankovic without glasses.
There are four additional parodies on this album: "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" which takes off on "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)," "Jerry Springer" based on "One Week," "It's All About the Pentiums" parodies "It's All About The Benjamins," and "Grapefruit Diet" plays around with "Zoot Suit Riot." Only the last in this set is a below average effort, and I get the feeling it is included simply because Yankovic likes to cover as many musical styles as possible. In making a list of parodies you also have to include "Germs," which is done in the style of Nine Inch Nails. As always, the polka medley, this time around entitled "Polka Power" is a fun ride, although each riff of a pop hit ("Wannabe," "Ray of Light," "Tubthumping," etc.) always seems to make you want to hear just a little more. When will Madonna finally breakdown and do a polka album?
Of the totally original songs "The Weird Al Show Theme" is my favorite, mainly because I always like the way Yankovic harmonizes with himself. His voice is so eerily suited to these songs that you forget it is just as much a part of his appeal as is his coming up with all those funny lyrics (best evidenced on "The Saga Begins," where he constantly hits real close to the rhymes of the original song). "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder" is a rollickin' accordion tune and "Your Horoscope For Today" is fully of frenetic energy. The album concludes with the overlong "Albuquerque" and is the cut least bearing repetition on the album inasmuch as it mainly consists of Yankovic talking really fast about a bunch of nonsense, although since once upon a time I actually lived in Albuquerque I have to admit to a perverse pleasure in hearing the town's name sung in chorus over and over again.
Finally, a special mention to Tress MacNeille's female vocal on "Jerry Springer" and Tom Sauber's fiddle on "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder."
on 27 January 2002
A friend of a friend brought this round a few days ago, and has now taken it away (and disappeared). I've liked Wierd Al's stuff for a while (including the Transformers soundtrack :) but never really thought of going to buy any of it. Well... that's changed. This album is simply brilliant! It'd be too easy to write him off as just a clever dick cover artist, but there's enough original material to completely refute that.
Except, I'm going to have to do it tomorrow because I've forgotten to bring my credit card with me to the uni computer room. Ack!
on 9 December 2002
I first heard this album when my mate brought it in one day, having borrowed it from her boyfriend. At first i was sceptical, taking a look at the weird cover,but as I listened to the tracks, I laughed and laughed... and laughed! Weird Al lives up to his name, he is certainly weird!
If you're looking for a serious album, this is not for you. If you like the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, P Diddy, or Tubthumping for example though, be warned, there are samples of their songs here!!! Oh, and I think he's obsessed with Star wars too, having so many songs written about it!
on 15 April 2007
there are few words that could describe weird als work and this album doesn't disappoint. I own 4 weird al cds currently and this is easily his best. this album has some of the best songs on such as

*pretty fly for a rabbi

*your horoscope for today

and

*polka power

this is a great album and this is why im giving it 5 stars and is guaranteed to brighten up even the most un happiest of people
on 19 November 1999
Running With Scissors is yet another excellant cd from Weird Al. From the opening song 'THE SAGA BEGINS' it is just excellent song after excellent song. Which other artist could switch from the 'Spice Girls to Maraylin Manson to Hanson in one song and the 'Pretty Fly For a Rabbi is just a brilliant peace of work. Buy it now if not nick it from a mate.
GOTHIC :-)
on 17 December 2000
I first heard of Al when I saw his Gump video back about 1995 but never followed much interest until this year when I listened to a freinds copy of the CD and I thought it was hilarious. So I went on a spending spree. The quality of the the parodies are second to non and the best off this album are Saga Begins and Pretty Fly. The Polkas are hilarious to
on 22 July 2004
This album is one of my most prized possesions I thouroughly recommend buying it, I love ''The Saga Begins'' it is very well, and cleverly written. ''Weird Al'' Yankovic is a great song and parody writer, spread the good word!