5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best
Published on 3 Aug 2007 by Richard Vernon

3.0 out of 5 stars Never Two Blue!
Published on 9 Jun 2004 by Mr. Francis Lally

3.0 out of 5 stars Never Two Blue!, 9 Jun 2004
This review is from: Get On Down With Bobby Bland / Reflections In Blue (Audio CD)
Well here I am again offering my simple opinion on one of "simply" the best voices still around in MUSIC. These aren't the best albums Bob ever recorded, but they contain enough gems to encourage you to forget your "napster" and spend a few bob on Bob. Consider this to be like buying him a smooth bourbon. Get On Down is the weaker of the two albums - being the album that followed The Dreamer(an absolute classic), it has a jazzy/country feel and no Stev Barri or Michael Omaritan? - but it does contain a great opening track and "Someone to give my love to".
Reflection in Blue is another matter altogether. This is top quality containing the best versions of the blues classic "Five long years" and JJ Cale's "Same Old Blues". The opening track "Soul of a man" should have been a hit single (How many times have you heard that?). RIB needs to be bought if you have the two other classic studio albums The California Album & The Dreamer. Buy Bob's album because he's a great singer and make sure, before he sadly one day leaves us, you've got some of his terrific music in your collection before you end up reading some fawning sycophantic obituary in the arts review section of your newspaper - written by some spotty superficial journalist seeking to discover another dead genius. I hate these creeps for one big reason - Yes they're YOUNGER than me. Buy Bland - I can't believe I just said that.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best, 3 Aug 2007
Both the rating, and the title of this review only apply to Reflections In Blue. I LOVE this album - I first bought it on LP back in the 70's, and I still have it on my iPod today. It's classic soul-blues, or perhaps that should be Blues-Soul. The 'other' LP on this CD is awful, I listened to it once and hated it, and have never felt tempted to try it again. Basically it's country. Virtually all the tracks on RIB are very good/great, but special mention must be made of 'Soul Of A Man', and 'If I Weren't A Gambler'. The latter has an absolutely terrific bass line which locks in with the horns in amazing fashion. 10 out of 5 for that one, if it were possible! The playing an arrangements on this album are absolutely first class, with the sole exception of 'Same Old Blues', which has very dated synths. Apart from that, it's great.

ARRAY(0xa9655330)

Get On Down With Bobby Bland / Reflections In Blue
Get On Down With Bobby Bland / Reflections In Blue by Bobby "Blue" Bland (Audio CD - 2008)