5.0 out of 5 stars He really is the king of the blues!
Published on 16 Mar 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars BB King Definitive Greatest Hits
Published on 15 Jun 2011 by P. Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars He really is the king of the blues!, 16 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Having been fortunate enough to attend many of BB Kings concerts in Glasgow and Edinburgh, I always wished that he would do an album such as this one.I have numerous King albums containing different songs, but this really is one single collection of his lifes work. The album has his signature on the front under the words "this is music I enjoyed playing" and I can assure you it is music you cannot fail to enjoy hearing. From track 1on disc 1 "The Thrill is gone" to track 18 on disc 2 "Rock me baby" I was enthralled by this ageless masters talents. The album features Bobby Bland, U2, Bob Cray and Gary Moore and includes a number of live recordings of his best work. I cannot commend this album highly enough, it will become a collectors item I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair Summation Of His ABC/MCA Period, 19 Nov 2004
Lozarithm (Wilts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As this collection of previously-released material does not go back beyond 1964, and BB King's first single came out in 1949, the claim that this represents his definitive greatest hits is a little contentious.
However, although BB King featured heavily in the R&B charts throughout his highly successful early years, it is a surprising fact that, apart from two appearances at the bottom end of the US Top 100 in 1957, he had not been troubled by the hit parade before 1964.
In 1962 BB King signed with ABC and appeared thereafter on their ABC Paramount, Bluesway and ABC labels. After they were taken over by MCA, his records appeared on that label, and these recordings are all taken from these periods, the most recent being Playin' With My Friends, with Robert Cray, taken from 1993's Blues Summit album. He had released little after that at the time of this compilation's release in 1999, instead concentrating on touring and performing.
Most of the songs chosen here were A-sides of singles, although some of these are in their lengthier album format. Quite a few others are taken from live performances, thus representing some earlier material recorded for other labels as well as showcasing contemporary material in an electric live setting.
BB King achieved his greatest mainstream success during this period and the price we have to pay is that alongside genuinely thrilling and innovative pieces such as The Thrill Is Gone there are a few too many bland-outs and celebrity guest appearances from Gary Moore, Leon Russell, Bobby "Blue" Bland and Dr John, which perhaps are not needed on a "best of" from an artist of the statuure of BB King. The U2 collaboration When Love Comes To Town was a Top Ten single in the UK and so its inclusion was mandatory, and it is a great record.
Now nearing eighty years of age, BB King is the greatest living blues legend, and this is a fair summation of his ABC/MCA years, if such a mighty output can be reduced to just two discs (it can't). If you enjoy this you owe it to yourself to go on to buy at least one companion piece representing his earlier years on the RPM and Kent/Crown labels

4.0 out of 5 stars His Definitive Greatest Hits, 28 Dec 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This double album of BB Kings music offers a great introduction to his music and to the blues in general.

This has a mix of studio and live tracks although I would've preferred more of the latter and starts off with one of my favourites, `The Thrill is Gone' which has some amazing guitar playing, a wonderfully soulful feel and BB's melancholy soaked vocals.

`Help the Poor' is another favourite and the track that open the second disc, I simply adore the horns which compliment things perfectly.

Any compilation will have it's advocates and detractors, but I personally enjoy the running order of tracks on offer here and feel it gives a good taste of what BB is all about, which is all we can hope for really. You get some sublime guitar playing, searing blues and some classic tracks all in one place, well worth checking out.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good review of King's work, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Excellent service, good order to delivery time, packaging was good for postal protection, I have always wanted something to be representative of King's work - this is good for just that purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good melange of hits, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
For anyone interested in listening to this highly regarded guitarist's music, this is a good intro. I would recommend this CD, as it covers a large section of BBK's broad repertoire, along with his best known songs ...

2.0 out of 5 stars BB King Definitive Greatest Hits, 15 Jun 2011
P. Lane "Paul" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Well I was listening to a review of his work on BBC R4. Fantastic music, I have a few of his tracks from different compilations dotted about my music collection and thought it would be nice to buy a CD of some of his stuff. So I read the recommendations on Amazon and felt this would suit my needs. I am so disappointed. The collection to me is so sanitised. It lacks all the raw grit that I had heard on the R4 review and of those few tracks I have. One advantage if you are happy with what might be late recordings (the copyrights date from '64 to '91) is that the sound quality is much better than the tracks I have in my collection.
So definitely a thumbs down from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pity you can't buy this outstanding album on vinyl, 2 July 2014
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Has rarely been off my car CD player. If you buy just one BB King album - get this one. "Playing with my friends" a huge favourite. What an outstanding musician. Pity you can't get it on Vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars BB King His Definitive Greatest Hits, 5 April 2014
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This guy is one of the best - if not the best blues guitarists, he can send shivers up my spine with his playing - One word BRILLIANT.

5.0 out of 5 stars BB the King!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have other records by BB but this CD is clear and well produced and covers most of his best known work. Good recordings. Well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars BB King Definitive Greatest Hits, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: His Definitive Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
From beginning to end, this album is BB King at his fabulous best. Bought it for "Thrill has Gone" but love all the tracks.

His Definitive  Greatest Hits
His Definitive Greatest Hits by B.B. King (Audio CD - 1999)