5.0 out of 5 stars Unique from a Golden Voice!!!!!!!
Since I first heard him in 1986, José Carreras has been my favourite tenor. His lyrical voice has captured my heart completely. No other voice moves me as Carreras' does. He moves me to tears, to laughter, to love, to beauty - to remembrance, to peace - and to HOPE!

Published on 25 Aug 2007 by Sissel M. Østdahl

1.0 out of 5 stars superb record of early voice
This is a lovely collection of songs and sublime singing. includes best ' Ombra mai fu' Ive heard. the voice/singing is amazing throughout.
Published 6 months ago by Michael Gibbons

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique from a Golden Voice!!!!!!!, 25 Aug 2007
This review is from: José Carreras - The Golden Years (Audio CD)

As for this recording, my favourites are "Una furtiva lagrima" (Donizetti), "Dein ist mein ganzes Herz" (Das Land des Lächelns), "Che gelida manina" (La Bohème) and yes, "Nessun Dorma" (Turandot) - and no, it's not always about the strongest voice.

I have lots of other recordings with Carreras. Spanish songs, German songs, love songs, mixture of opera arias and popular songs and of course, opera. I have reviewed "Carmen" conducted by von Karajan in Berlin in 1982 where Carreras sings "the flower aria" as it has never been sung before, with a pianissimo ending. Any admirer of José Carreras who has not heard his interpretation of this famous aria in this recording, has missed something. Amazon has it, hurry and buy! ("Carmen" 1982 - Agnes Baltsa, José Carreras, Katia Ricciarelli, Herbert von Karajan).

I love Carreras' "singing from the soul" (the title of his biography). He has something very special which affects me as no other singer does. No matter how high Pavarotti goes, or how complete and full and "having it all" Domingo's voice is said by so many to be - Carreras has something entirely unique. A Swedish journalist who was writing a review of a concert with Carreras, pondered about the difference between the three. Why this seemingly less famous of them moved him so deeply. He finally concluded: "What is it with this little Spanyard. He does not reach as high as Pavarotti, or has the fullness and strength of Domingo, and yet, he sings as if every little tone were the last..."

This album is probably the best collection with Carreras, although many of these arias/songs are also to be find on other recordings. However this selection is both large and varied and does indeed show Carreras at his best. It's a perfect introduction to people who want to hear more of José Carreras.

Finally, In 1990, José Carreras held his first concert after his illness in Oslo Konserthus (Norway). This was no large performance in a huge hall used also by rock bands etc. The kind of performance with lights in different colours, very stashed up in every way. As the newspapers wrote afterwards, it was not the regular first night audience in Oslo Konserthus that night. It was the real music lovers who sat in silence and enjoyed and contemplated the sublime art they were listening to. No one got their favourite aria, this was an evening for less well known material, but oh, so exquisite.

I have heard Carreras afterwards in more glamorous settings but shall never forget that evening in April 1990. A man, his voice and a piano.

I would like to recommend this recording warmly and everything else José Carerras has sung for that matter. And for those who are not so keen on opera, there are lots to chose from, not the least film music and plenty of varied love songs. Carreras has a beautiful voice for popular love music and I see this as a perfect way of inviting an even wider public to enjoy his wonderful voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 6 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: José Carreras - The Golden Years (Audio CD)
I have a Carreras-recording of Tosca from 1979 and up till now I thought it was the ultimate recording of "Recondita armonia" and "E lucevan le stelle". I honestly thought that no one could sing these arias better. And in a way I'm right. The only one that could do it was himself - a few years earlier..... And after listening to these songs I can't imagine that anyone dare say that he is/was the weakest of the three tenors. In my opinion he possesses something that the others don't. (I won't tell you what it is - listen and find out yourself). Even if his voice has changed over the years, (I mean changed - not declined) something remains unchangeable and that is his ability to evoke emotions. No one can deliver a line with real emotions like him. And that's something that's going to stay with him forever, because what makes his singing so special comes from within.
Even though I like the whole album, some of the songs stand out to me - like "Una furtiva lagrima", "donna non vidi mai", "vesti la giubba" and "nessun dorma" (Sorry Pavarotti - José is way ahead of you interpreting this song. It's not enough to sing it on full blast...). Here's also the loveliest rendition of "Forse la soglio attinse". And in the song "dein ist mein ganzes hertz" he makes me believe that his whole heart really is mine...... And I mustn't forget his "che gelida manina" from La Bohême. I have the -79 recording it's taken from and it's the ultimate Bohême ever.
The second cd has a "lighter" repertoire with songs from composers like Tosti, Cardillo, Lara and others. My personal favourites here are "Core n'grato", "Ideale" and "Granada". In my opinion no one sings these songs like Carreras. Or rather - no one sings like Carreras. Period!
His singing will no doubt give you goosebumps all over and make your hair stand on end. If not, I bet you're either a Pavarotti or Domingo-fan....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great young voice, 15 Oct 2013
Peter Avant (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: José Carreras - The Golden Years (Audio CD)
If one wishes to hear the great young voice then this is for you and the selection here is comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful voice, 27 July 2010
Mrs. Sheila Pegg (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: José Carreras - The Golden Years (Audio CD)
Golden years... Golden voice. There are songs on here that i have heard on other albums, but not often sung better. Ilove all of disc one, there are a couple of songs on disc two i don't like, but that's because i have never liked them and probably never will e.g. "memory" and "because ". other than that,this album is a treat for the ears.

1.0 out of 5 stars superb record of early voice, 6 Jun 2014

José Carreras - The Golden Years
José Carreras - The Golden Years by Giacomo Puccini (Audio CD - 2008)