Format: Toy|Change

on 30 August 2006
Having had a fisher price phone when I was a little'un, I couldn't wait to go a bit retro and get one for my 1 year old. Although smaller than I remember (isn't everything) this really is a retro gem. From the charming tinkle of the dial to the rolling eyes, it really is a relief from the wince inducing light and sound toys that clutter my living room! Best of all, it is a tough cookie, perfect for tantrum prone toddlers!
on 20 July 2015
This is a lovely toy to look at but I'm slightly disappointed with it. It seems bonkers to me to make the cord attaching the handset to the main body of the 'phone so short that, although it eliminates the possibility of the child strangling him/herself, you can only pretend to talk into it by holding the entire 'phone practically next to your mouth; they then illogically attach a cord with which to pull along the 'phone that's long enough to pull it along but also long enough to be wrapped around the child's neck! Health & Safety must have had an 'off' day when they passed this toy! Furthermore, although the eyes roll beautifully when the 'phone's being pulled along, this particular model most definitely does NOT 'chatter'......it stays resolutely quiet! Faulty...??..... maybe, but I can't be bothered to parcel it up and send it back....anyway, the recipient (my grandson) has had just as much fun using the box as a toy (isn't that always the way?!!)
on 26 November 2014
This is a design classic and is improved by the rounder edges that weren't a feature of the wooden phone I dragged around as a lad. Obviously, I lost an eye on those sharp edges, as did most of my peer group in 1974.

We also lost several of our number to strangulation by cord. Before elf & safety stepped in, our gang of misfits and bedwetters were succumbing to the perils of a cord that, whilst long enough to lift the receiver to ones' ear without clonking yerself on the nose with the phone itself, was also long enough to wrap around your neck (if you so chose. Most didn't).

No danger of that with a cord measuring just over 3 quarters of an inch.

If you, as parent, are not a total imbecile and your child is even less of an imbecile, you might consider throwing caution to the wind and unscrewing the phone, removing the tiny cord and replacing it with something of a suitable length. I used my Glastonbury lanyard, but a hangman's noose or a length of cheese wire will do!*

*I am, of course, just kidding (about most of the above). Except about the Glastonbury lanyard; it works a treat.
on 4 January 2011
This phone is great I remember the one I had when I was younger. I have bought this for my daughters 1st birthday. With the other reviews regarding the phone cord being too short - its to prevent children from being stangled which I for one am all for the shorter cord would rather be safe than sorry.
This arrived very quickly and is packaged well. The outside of the box is as colourful as the toy and immediately engaged interest of the toddler I'd bought this for.

On taking the phone out there's no set up required, no batteries to insert it's simply - start playing! The phone is plastic and very sturdy - you know it's going to survive being dragged along - outside or inside for a considerable length of time which is exactly as you would expect from fisher-price.

The phone has a pull cord - to make for easier dragging and when you pull it along the eyes roll and it chatters - it's not a loud or unpleasant noise and sounds an awful lot better than almost every other "noisy" toy that we have at the minute. Because of the eyes and the chattering sound our phone was christened Munk - (short for Chipmunk). The phone has a retro style dial which gives them loads more fun as it's different from any other phones that they've come into contact with and they love dialing the number and chatting to whoever they are talking to.

I'm so glad the Fisher-Price kept the style of the Chatter Telephone basically the same as the one I remember having as this is a classic toy and one which gives hours of fun.
on 8 April 2016
I am on my early 30's and when I saw this phone it took me back to my early youth.
OMG!
I had one exactly the same one when I was little.

I bought it for my little boy and loves it as much as I did in my time.
The plastic material has changed a little, but it's just as good.
The phone is lighter than it used to be, the cord might just be shorter too (or is it me that I've grown?) No it's definitely shorter.
The cord on the handset is also shorter… a lot shorter, so kids need to hold the phone in one hand to be able to put the handset on their ears.
Thank you safety standards and regulations!

The eyes still open and close.
The same ringing noise.
I just love it, ha ha ha! I still like it. ;)

My children (all of them 10,7 and 5 year old's) have been seen in my sons room play -dialing and it's great to see them have so much fun with such a simple toy.

My son loves the way he can just simply pull the cord and the phone follows him around.
He can now take his play office mobile.

This toy has been on the market for over 35 years, it must be for a good reason.

Would I buy this product again?
Yes, yes, yes.
on 23 September 2015
This toy doesn't even make sense because it has such a short cord on the telephone receiver end (apparently to stop strangulation) however has a really long pull cord which defeats the purpose. My little girl cant even lift the phone part without having to drag the whole toy around. She has played with it twice and its now relegated to the bottom of the toybox! A real shame for such a classic toy.
on 28 February 2016
A real classic. I knocked a star off because the cord is so short that it is impossible for my child to talk into the receiver without the phone swinging around and smashing her in the face. I think the old version with the longer cord probably caused less accidents!
on 6 February 2016
Does what it says on the tin and has a satisfactory retro feel about it. However, I would agree with previous reviews that the cord between the handset and phone is far too small and makes it hard to use as a phone ... Safety gone mad!
on 21 March 2008
My daughter was given several pull along toys for her birthday, but this one is definately the favourite. She loves watching the eyes move as she pulls it along. It's nice to have something not electronic. My only fault is the telephone cord is too short, so when she put's it to her ear, she has the main body of the phone dangling around her neck too. Other that that, it's still a classic.