5.0 out of 5 stars A real Fisher Price classic!
Published on 30 Aug. 2006 by wormworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Lead too short
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Fisher Price classic!, 30 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
Having had a fisher price phone when I was a little'un, I couldn't wait to go a bit retro and get one for my 1 year old. Although smaller than I remember (isn't everything) this really is a retro gem. From the charming tinkle of the dial to the rolling eyes, it really is a relief from the wince inducing light and sound toys that clutter my living room! Best of all, it is a tough cookie, perfect for tantrum prone toddlers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lead too short, 2 Nov. 2014
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
I bought this as a gift as I remember how much my daughter loved her Fisher Price Chatter Phone when she was little but this is obviously an updated version and the pull along lead is far too short. I was disappointed in it when I saw my friends daughter playing with it although I'm assured she loves the telephone part but I imagine Health&Safety became an issue with the style my daughter had as perhaps children were tripping over the pull along string but it's a shame as I think it's spoilt what was a super toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a Fab Phone, but cord too short, 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
My daughter was given several pull along toys for her birthday, but this one is definately the favourite. She loves watching the eyes move as she pulls it along. It's nice to have something not electronic. My only fault is the telephone cord is too short, so when she put's it to her ear, she has the main body of the phone dangling around her neck too. Other that that, it's still a classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect nostalgia for grown-ups... ancient history for the kids, 9 Dec. 2012
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I agree with the previous reviewers, Health and Safety has (quite understandably) led to the telephone cord being ridiculously short. I don't remember any tales of folk being strangled by their Pull-Along Chatter Phone from my own youth, but if there is even a chance of it then that, to my mind, is fair enough. However, why not do what we did and simply sever the cord? This gives birth to a whole new toy, believe me. Besides, talking on the 'land-line' is SO old fashioned!

This toy was bought for a very small person who is now four and a half and, thanks to my sterling work with the scissors, it has continued to be something she has played with. The 'pulling-along' phase wore off surprisingly quickly. As did the 'laboriously dialling numbers' phase. I suppose that's fair enough too - where does a child see a telephone like this ANYWHERE these days? I reckon my own nostalgia was the real reason I bought it and so it serves me right that this toy left me feeling a hundred years old. Nevertheless, as I said, the little one still plays with this toy. Just the handset, nothing else. She talks for what seems like hours on that, to anyone from her Auntie in Middlesbrough to Arthur Daley (I'm deadly serious - and slightly concerned. If a lorry-load of dodgy gear turns up in my spare room I shall know precisely who left it there)... you can even see her 'punching-in numbers' on this handset, just as she has presumably seen the grown-ups doing.

The pull-along bit has been left to fester in a corner, silent except when someone inadvertantly trips over it and sends it skimming across the floor, cursing under its breath. But then, this is a whole new modern world and some of us are just not designed for it. I think I, like the Chatter Phone, might just be one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
This phone is great I remember the one I had when I was younger. I have bought this for my daughters 1st birthday. With the other reviews regarding the phone cord being too short - its to prevent children from being stangled which I for one am all for the shorter cord would rather be safe than sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro telephone toy that doesn't look like modern phones :), 23 Feb. 2015
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
Smaller than I remembered this is still a good fun toy - no batteries required and it's very basic in that there are no bells and whistles but that's not a bad thing.

Although it's supposed to be for one years and up, it's can be used slightly younger than that. The cord is a short length as you may expect and it's full of bright colours.

Price is good and it's a fun toy - although telephones don't really look like this any more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cord too short, but..., 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
This is a design classic and is improved by the rounder edges that weren't a feature of the wooden phone I dragged around as a lad. Obviously, I lost an eye on those sharp edges, as did most of my peer group in 1974.

We also lost several of our number to strangulation by cord. Before elf & safety stepped in, our gang of misfits and bedwetters were succumbing to the perils of a cord that, whilst long enough to lift the receiver to ones' ear without clonking yerself on the nose with the phone itself, was also long enough to wrap around your neck (if you so chose. Most didn't).

No danger of that with a cord measuring just over 3 quarters of an inch.

If you, as parent, are not a total imbecile and your child is even less of an imbecile, you might consider throwing caution to the wind and unscrewing the phone, removing the tiny cord and replacing it with something of a suitable length. I used my Glastonbury lanyard, but a hangman's noose or a length of cheese wire will do!*

*I am, of course, just kidding (about most of the above). Except about the Glastonbury lanyard; it works a treat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little toy phone but daughter more interested in my mobile phone, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
Whether it's because phones just don't look like this anymore, or maybe its just not my daughters kind of thing but she has hardly played with this since it has been bought. She would play with my mobile phone all day if she could and often role plays with it, but she won't do the same with this. I'm not saying it's a bad product because its a nice looking little toy which does what it says on the tin. The only snag is that the cord for the receiver is very short....I expect the designer was thinking safety. However, the cord at the front to pull the phone along is about 1 metre long so the safety explanation for the short receiver cord does not really make any sense!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted this phone to be a great buy, and it seemed such a good replica ..., 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
I wanted this phone to be a great buy, and it seemed such a good replica of the one I had as a child…. but…. my 2 year old just doesn't play with it. That could just be the type of girl she is, however, she does play with other pull along toys and she does play with other toy phone handsets. I think it is the fact she can't hold the receiver to her ear without having to hold the whole phone, it just comes off the ground and is too bulky for a toddler. It's been a year, and it is still pretty unused sadly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the original, 9 Nov. 2014
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone (Toy)
Or more accurately my son loves it!

Just like I remember when I was a kid and surprising in that kids will not have seen the old telephones before but my son took to it straight away in fact he was actually banging on the box to have a look before I opened it! Its great and a really nice size I guess people will think its smaller than it was because last time they saw one they were kids and it did appear huge. Nice solid feel to it and great simple little toy to play with.

Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone