4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent educational gift, but beware additional charge
03.07.13
This is a fantastic set for children, and the company produces many others as well (stick insects etc). In the box, you get:
-pop-up butterfly habitat (essentially a nicely decorated net cylinder that is light enough to hang pretty much anywhere, but also free-standing)
-instructions (very detailed but clear and simple, and my children (10 and 5)...
Published 16 months ago by Beansmummy

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product but with hidden costs.
I agree with the majority of reviews written with regard to educational value. It is an excellent idea and when my daughter was bought this as a birthday present I was very impressed, so much so that I bought a couple of extra sets for friend's Christmas presents.

Unfortunately when I opened it up I discovered that there additional postage costs to receive our...
Published on 29 Aug 2010 by Kryton

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars rate this toy, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
very dissaointed as coupons that come with this set are only redeemable in the usa,
so made a very unsatisfactory gift for my grandson

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly Farm, 18 April 2008
Binka - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
Kit contains a netting/plastic freestanding container to put the caterpillars in. The container can be squashed down for storage when not in use. When extended it measures just over 30cm tall and approx 20cm across.

You send off for the carerpillars and food - costs an extra £2. Caterpillars are normally posted in 5 working days but can take up to 4 weeks. You should only order the caterpillars when its warm wnough outside for butterflies to survive. A detailed instruction booklet on how to care for your caterpillars and butterflies is included.

I should think you can reuse the kit with caterpillars that you find in the garden.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely fun for the whole family, 10 Jun 2009
David Thornber "David Thornber" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
I bought this for my four year old son, but it also brought out the big kid in both of his parents. The whole process is fascinating to watch, starting with caterpillars that are smaller than grains of rice, and ending up releasing butterflies into the wild.

The package received in the post contains five caterpillars, and you're guaranteed a minimum of three healthy butterflies. As our luck would have it, one tiny caterpillar died within 24 hours without growing at all, and another died a couple of days later. The good news is that the remaining three all went the distance, and the kit was worth every penny for that alone. It's worth noting that if you end up with less than three healthy butterflies, the supplier will send you another batch of caterpillars free of charge. (You may still have to pay postage.)

I have only two criticisms of the product: Firstly, it's an extra £2 P&P to receive your caterpillars. This is mentioned on the box, but it's not blindingly obvious and I didn't notice until I'd already bought it. Secondly, the replacement caterpillar pack from the supplier's website costs just as much as buying the whole kit here on Amazon. I had expected to be able to re-stock for £10 or less, but it's around £15 for another five caterpillars once you've added postage. The item loses a star for these minor niggles, otherwise I'd have given it the full five overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best present, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
This is by far one of the best gifts I have brought, it teaches kids so much more than a game could. Young kids from 5 onwards that are interested in the great outdoors and inquisitive about bugs will love it and if they aren't yet they will be after getting this. You can also get refills to re-use the house again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Butterflies, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
I got this for my daughter as she loves animals but we can't get her a pet at the moment. Sounds like a poor substitute for a dog but it was worth doing because she loved watching the caterpillars grow (and they grew very quickly) and then transform into chrysalis and then butterflies (although we missed them coming out of their chrysalis :-(). They come in a little tub (we got 5 caterpillars) they have all the food and moisture they need in the tub so no care needed, they just take care of themselves. We got a magnifying glass out at one point and studied them more closely, a bit freaky but also fascinating. When we released them they sat on our hands for ages before flying off. Great to share their lifecycle with my daughter and then release them knowing we're also helping the environment. A little warning that you get a voucher for your butterflies but it's extra for postage. You can order more butterflies if you want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Marks for this amazing fun educational product!, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
Amazing product. Full marks in all areas - educational, family time, hobby building, craft activity and most of all fun!!!!! My children ages 3, 6 and 10 all adored this hands on learning experience. Excellent customer service from Insect Lore too in particular Anita McManamna. 100% recommend this product. Check out blog for a full review [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
Bought this as a gift for an adult, wasn't expecting much, but if you follow the instructions what a fantastic experience. You have to order the caterpillars when the box arrives so if this is for a child I would open the box and order them in time for the celebration to avoid disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy!, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
This is really simple to do, my kids have loved watching the caterpillars grow and change. Great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, would def recommend!, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
Apparently the 'best birthday present ever'... Need to send off for the larvae which was a nice thing as I was a bit worried about that part... Overall a great gift to connect children to nature!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Aug 2013
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My six year old son had been enthusiastically telling us all about how his class were "hatching caterpillars" at school with one of these kits, and so keen was he about this that we decided to buy a set for at home. He absolutely loves watching the development of the caterpillars through to the butterfly stage, and loves even more the moment when we set them free into the wild.

The kit itself is good quality, with a pop up enclosure which is colourful and attractive to children, as well as feeding pipette and voucher which you use to send off for the caterpillars. These arrived very quickly and we were very impressed with the service provided. The equipment was straightforward to use and we successfully hatched all the caterpillars first time using the instructions provided.

This product is worth the money to see the excitement on my son's face every day when he observes this amazing piece of nature at first hand, and as well as being fun it is great educational value as it has really piqued his interest in nature. Highly recommended

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›