4.0 out of 5 stars A quality album

1.0 out of 5 stars Turgid
Published 6 months ago by Davo

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality album, 11 May 2003
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
When I first got this it never left my CD player, and also after a while it does lose its impact, this is still a good quality album. There’s the fantastic “Bartender and the Thief” and “Just Looking”, as well as many unreleased tracks which are all just as good. You definitely have to be a fan of Kelly Jones’ unique voice before buying this, but as long as you are you will enjoy this pleasant and though-provoking collection from the ‘Phonics.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Haagen-Dazs - possibly even better!, 31 July 2000
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
From start to finish this album is nothing but sheer brilliance that could only come from the 'phonics. 'Roll Up And Shine' - words can't describe. The first time I ever really heard of the 'phonics was when 'Just Looking' was released - it was the track that turned me into a fan and it still remains my favourite, the lyrics, the guitars and Kelly's voice all melt together to form a masterpiece that will soothe and move you. 'T-Shirt Sun Tan' is one of my summer anthems, 'She Takes Her Clothes Off' is good to sing along to and 'Plastic California' is a quietly confident rocker which is great to chill to but it soon builds up and you'll be roaring along with Kelly by the end of it! 'I Stopped To Fill My Car Up' is haunting and gives the album the ending it deserves - by the end of it's final notes you will be in awe of the utter brilliance of this album. I can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars = Excellent!, 31 May 2000
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
The second album by the 'phonics, and equally as good! Roll Up and Shine, The Bartender And The Thief, T-Shirt Sun Tan are all excellent rock tunes. Pick a Part That's new, I wouldn't Believe Your Radio, She Takes Her Cloths Off ... im not sure if its possible to write this review without virtually naming every song on the album! Its just awesome! A special mention also has to go to I Stopped To Fill My Car Up, an awesome song that intially sounds like a whining groan, but if you actually concentrate on the lyrics, feels more like a cinematic short story than a song ... an ingenius finish to the album. 5 stars = Excellent! Can't wait for K Jones' third offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I have ever bought., 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This quite truly is a fantastic cd; if you thought "Word Gets Around" was good then this will blow you away. It starts off with the lively and pacey "Roll up and Shine" which is an example of the group trying a bit too hard to be heavy rockers when Kelly Jones's vocals are far more suited to tracks like " Is Yesterday, Tomorrow, Today" and "A Minute Longer". The album is filled with fantastic tracks which with exception of just a couple especially the aforementioned "Roll up and Shine" could all have been released as single and all would have made the top twenty at least. Once again the Stereophonics have put their most famous and in my opinion best singles all together just as they did in their fantastic debut album "Word Gets Around" but don't worry as like me on hearing the album for the first time you look at the inlay and look slightly bewildered after track seven "I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio" and realise that you haven't heard of any of them; because you will be amazed at the quality not only of the songs but of Kelly's fantastic voice. The best songs from that point on are the slow and soothing "A Minute Longer" and the quick, loud and funny "T-Shirt Sun Tan" Overall this is one of the best albums of the decade and should have beaten Travis easily to the Best album at the last Brit Awards. The singles to look out for on this cd are "Hurry up and Wait", "Pick a Part That's New", "A Minute Longer" and the increadible "Just Looking" which is tihs albums answer to "Traffic" from "Word Gets Around"I would strongly advise any indie music fan to buy this. Despite the limited variation in music due to there only being three members in the group compared to that of Radiohead the tunes are catchy and the vocals impeccable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent from start to finish, 12 Mar 2002
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
An album to cheer me up from the dullest of days, Performance and Cocktails never fails to please me.
'The Bartender & The Thief' is the most surprising piece of heavy metal i've heard, with ridiculous lyrics about "robbing the graves of bodies dismembered" and a punching guitar, it starts quick and finishes just as you begin to enjoy it - a classic.
The mellower sound of 'Hurry Up And Wait' might be repetitive but the quick paced lyrics make up for this.
'Pick A Part That's New' is my favourite track on the album: it's bright, cheery and has the most amazing guitar riff and is one of those great songs that can be heard again and again without becoming boring.
'Just Looking' is beautiful, 'Half of The Lies' is rocking, 'I Wouldn't Believe...' is a classic sing-along track, 'A Minute Longer' is full of longing and desire with, probably, Kelly's best vocal performance on the album.
As the album draws to a close, the songs don't disappoint and even the slow 'I Stopped To Fill My Car Up' doesn't ruin an amazing album.
If I had to chose my top ten albums today, this would definitely be there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 10 April 2000
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
Described as a cross between rock and indie, the Stereophonics are probably the biggest thing to come out of Wales since Tom Jones and rugby, even if they haven't yet had all the credit they're due. From the unbelievable guitar rifts of Roll Up and Shine to the mellow sound of Just Looking, this album is a fantastic blend of great lyrics, amazing music and Kelly Jones' brilliant voice. It's the only album I own which I love every single song on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stand out album of the 90's, 8 April 2010
Ben Nicholson "Benkernow" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
A brilliant album and one of the stand out album's of the 90's. A very fast moving, rock album and even thou it's hard to pick there best album I certaily think it's up there (in my humble opion there best). I can't pick a bad song out of this but The Bartender and the Thief is one of the best. This is one of the only album's that I can actually say I think every single song is brilliant. A must buy. It is great, trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took my phonics virginity., 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
My first Stereophonics album when i was about 14. Because of this i will always owe alot to this record but it is hard to pick a favourite because of listening to them all so much. The first track, 'Roll up and Shine' Is made up of a great riff and a very drag style (even by Kelly's standards). What i love about this album is when i am listening to it i feel the guys have enjoyed recording it and every song manages to sound natural and footloose aswell as being worked upon and perfected. 'Just Looking' will live on as a classic and 'I Stopped to Fill My Car Up' is still one of the most interesting and uplifting songs i have ever heard. A crucial part of my stereophonics collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars saviours of british rock?, 28 Jan 2001
Mr Lex Easthope (Bargoed, Mid Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
After being brought up on a daily dosage of great rock artists such as Meatloaf, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath and many more i thought that the glory days of british and american rock was over. That is until i heard Sterophonics. The first album Word gets around really made me like the band, and i couldn't wait for the next album. The album is just pure genius, i am listing to it as i write this review. What can you say in 1000 words? Other than the fact it is just brilliant. My favourite track is, is yesterday,tommorow,Today along with the execellent Bartender and the thief, while a minute longer comes third. It is one of the few albums of morden day artists that i will listen to over and over agian until i have earach. Kelly's voice is so smooth and easy that it is almost hypnitising. I dont think that they can beat this album, but then again i tbought the same of the first. Well done boys for an excellent album and may there be more like it.I might be biased being welsh but i think that any one in Britain can relate to their music. I would recomnd this album to any with the money to buy it. Long live the phonics.

1.0 out of 5 stars Turgid, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Performance And Cocktails (Audio CD)
I bought this cd around 10 years ago and after a few plays put it away in a drawer with a few other crap cds. Recently i dug out these and gave them a spin! This cd was so bland and so boring! I took it to a second hand music shop with all the other crap cds i'd got and got 50p for it! I was absolutely amazed that the shop gave me that much for this complete and utter s***e!

Performance And Cocktails
Performance And Cocktails by Stereophonics (Audio CD - 2006)