5.0 out of 5 stars A Mature Masterpiece, 15 Aug 2002
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
Sarabande is one of Lord's best solo works, or perhaps even the best. What the album features is nothing less than a modern-day classical masterpiece sampling the artist's extremely mature and deep-rooted skill both in composing and in orchestration. This unique musical bonbon is so perfect the listener has the feeling there is not a single note that could be added or left out. Made up of fast as well as slow pieces, the arrangement still is an inseparable whole, a nice little chamber concerto of our time. As Lord himself states: "the compostitions were good, the musicians [Andy Summers, guitar; Pete York, drums; Paul Karass, bass; Mark Nauseef, percussion; the Philharmonia Hungarica] were outstanding and the conductor [Eberhard Schoener] understood the music. Everything came together and I have to say, nothing I made before or since comes close to Sarabande." (from an interview at The Highway Star)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in wonder., 3 Aug 2010
David West "David West" (Hebron, KY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
I remember buying this back in 70something with the pull-out insert. I don't know if this review will be read but what I have to say is that I loved it immediately. It is so much more accessible than any of Jon's other works but then, wasn't he free to do what he wanted then?
It's beautiful; it's wonderful and it's the expression of an artist set free. Thirty-five years on, it is still as magical as the day I heard it.
For what it's worth, I saw JL and a whole bunch of others perform this (including deliberate bum notes in Sarabande)at the Royal Albert Hall. You want to know about impressed? Try Pete York sight-reading a drum solo.
This was the preface to David Bedford's The Odyssey.
With an extremely nervous Mike Oldfield on guitar...
Those were the days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, 11 May 2013
Cryspalitus (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarabande (MP3 Download)
Good music never dies. I heard this many years ago on a late night radio show whilst driving home. The DJ said to turn to volume up before he played it. I did and was totally blown away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic classical Lord., 8 April 2014
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
Had forgotten just how marvellous this album is!!!! A triumph of musical diversity & complexity.
If you have any concerns about the quality of this recording,don't it's superb !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jon Lord, 5 April 2014
Graham Kippax (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
I could only give this 5 stars, if I could I'd have given it more.
This album shows the genius of Jon Lord, who could combine rock and classical music in a way no other could.
Had the vinyl version in the 70s, but lent it to a "friend" and didn't get it back
Great to catch up with a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Orchestra sound., 10 Feb 2014
N. Goldsmith "goldsmith52" (Tunbridge Wells, Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
Wow! Stunning and huge sound. I have followed Deep Purple in my youth and not being an avid fan (everyone had 'Machine Head' in my day) this is a total change in style for Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord. Big orchestra sounds with a driving beat and passion flowing from every pore. This will have you sweating in your seat spellbound. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS FOR YOUR FIRST TIME WHILST DRIVING!

5.0 out of 5 stars His best work. All you need!, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
Had the vinyl copy for 38 years! Nice to have an accessible version. Lots of variety, nothing drags, great to relax to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maestro's Masterpiece, 30 Aug 2003
This review is from: Sarabande (Audio CD)
Wonderful, even without the vocals of God1 (Ian Gillan), the guitar of God2/TheManInBlack (Ritchie Blackmore) or the mesmerising skin thumping of Ian Paice. I am not a classical music fan myself but Jon Lord has found a way to get me to listen to this non-stop. The last-but-one track features some great Hammond sounds.
It is very different to The Concerto for Group and Orchestra, but just as good.

Sarabande
Sarabande by Jon Lord (Audio CD - 2009)