5.0 out of 5 stars Two classic western albums
Marty recorded many different types of song but he was particularly good at western songs. For those who can afford it, Bear family have released a boxed set containing all Marty's western songs, but the two albums included here contain many of his best western songs.
Published on 11 Dec. 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars A FAULTY CD
Great songs by a great country singer.... but they cd which I received jumps on track 5 so very disappointed with it.
Published 19 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Two classic western albums, 11 Dec. 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs/More Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs (Audio CD)
On this set, you will find Marty's covers of the classic cowboy songs Cool water and The streets of Laredo, but Marty chose to avoid most of the obvious songs. Instead, he wrote some songs himself and recorded a lot of great but obscure songs. Of the songs that he wrote, El Paso is by far the most important. It was a huge international hit and if you are thinking of buying this collection, you probably know this song already.
The remaining songs all tell stories of life in the west in the years following the American civil war. We all know that you can't believe what Hollywood portrays in western movies. The origin of many of these songs is unknown but the picture they paint sounds credible.
Marty was, perhaps, the greatest western singer of them all (although Michael Martin Murphey is another contender for that title) – this collection shows him at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home on the Range was never this good!, 21 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
Thanks to a friend who asked "who was it that sang El Paso?" has prompted me to take the opportunity to rediscover, after more than 30 years, a singer who put the 'Western' in Country Music.
Anyone who enjoys Country and Western should not be without a copy of this marvellous collection of sounds and images of the American 'wild' west. This is a truly classic collection that gives you a story with every song from an exceptional talent singing with a purity that is rare.
His gunfighter ballads are the stuff of dreams that transport the listener to the Old West with 'El Paso', 'Big Iron' and 'Cool Water' to name but a few in a selection brimming with great songs. If you like Country and Western then take "mah advice pardna" and do what a man's gotta do!
This is truly great value and is well worth a purchase that will bring you hours of pleasure. I strongly recommend it! Buy it and like me you will not be disappointed.
Postscript:
If like me, you would like to add other albums to your collection, then you cannot go wrong by choosing compilations such as "The Drifter" which include, amongst others, the amusing "Cowboy in a Continental Suit" and a saloon showdown in the superb "Mr Shorty". Marty's voice suited most kinds of music and in "The Essential Marty Robbins" with its Rock-A-Billy, Hawaiian and even Jazz-influenced music, will prove beyond doubt the versatility that make Mr Robbins' music unforgettable and timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is Marty Robbins, 27 Mar. 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is not to say that Marty Robbins did not perform many more and just as great songs. However when you think of ether Marty Robbins or the songs on this album [Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs]. As with many I grew up with this album and as one reviewer protests, it is a little unnerving to have the order changed. However I used to skip around anyway. And this is the album to buy for Marty Robbins. You can supplement with his others when you feel the need to expand his collection
It is hard to imagine that you have not heard these songs at some point. So it feels funny describing them to you. These songs are truly ballads. They are not crying in your beer twanging songs. And aside from the country pacing and theme, are close to folk songs. Each song has a story and you are made to feel that you could be singing them your self. In the end you will be singing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars a blast from the past, 7 May 2010
Mrs. S. J. Jackson (Hartlepool,England) - See all my reviews
I have to say that I haven't played these cds yet, but I know the albums really well. I bought them in the 60s, as vinyl lps, and I really loved them, so I know that I won't be disappointed. Also, I am going to see Don Mclean at the Sage,in Gateshead, on the 17th of May,and I know he rates Marty Robbins,so I am sure he will be singing some of his songs, really looking forward to it. It is now Aug. 1st., and I have now listened to Marty Robbins, oh yes! he is as good as I remembered, and Don Mclean was excellent. If you like Marty Robbins, I recommend that you purchase Don Mclean sings Marty Robbins, it is really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars For True Western Fanatics, 12 Oct. 2009
Have always liked music 'Western' style and a fan of Marty Robbins - this is played at home, on my ipod in the car, and never gets boringGunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE WEST, 1 Oct. 2012
ROBIN - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Marty Robbins was the best singer of Western Songs, there has ever been, in my totally unbiased opinion. Nobody else came close. "Gunfighter Ballads" was the first long playing record I ever bought and by coincidence was the first CD too.

GUNFIGHTER BALLADS AND TRAIL SONGS - Certainly the best known track here is "El Paso", which stayed in the British Charts for some time, and was the longest running (duration-wise) single to ever enter the Hit Parade, as it was then called. I believe this was partly due to our fascination with TV Westerns, there was one on every night. The other tracks here mostly tell stories, "Billy The Kid", the evergreen "Cool Water", "Big Iron", "Running Gun", "The Strawberry Roan" and "Utah Carol". the other tracks, one sad, "They`re Hanging Me Tonight", Three somewhat lighter, "A Hundred And Sixty Acres", "In The Valley" and "The Little Green Valley", then we have the semi religious track, "The Master`s Call".

MORE GUNFIGHTER BALLADS AND TRAIL SONGS - This album, though not as good as the first has one track less, but follows a similar format. The outstanding track for me is "Five Brothers", "San Angelo" is akin to "El Paso". We then have the old favourite, "The Streets Of Laredo", the dramatic "Prairie Fire" and "Ride, Cowboy Ride", the sad "Little Joe The Wrangler" and the lighter tracks this time around are "Song Of The Bandit" (not quite as good as the version by the Sons Of The Pioneers), "I`ve Got No Use For Women", "She Was Young And She Was Pretty" and "My Love" and the semi religious "This Peaceful Sod".

This music will never age or go out of fashion, it is timeless. A better collection of Western Songs will be hard if not, impossible to find. Play it often enough, as I do, and you will be picking desert sand out of your cornflakes!

Marty left us almost 30 years ago and quite frankly there has been no-one to take over singing this type of song -- until now.Take a listen to Royal Wade Kimes, you might be pleasantly surprised!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marty Robbins Gunfighter ballards, 24 April 2011
Norman Bradshaw "nabbie" (Tasmania) - See all my reviews
I have this cd on vinyl i am a great fan of the late Marty Robbins i have listened to Marty Robbins for around 50 years and have many of his songs and vidios a great entertainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunfighter Ballads& Trail Songs, 27 Oct. 2010
Had the L.P in my teens some time ago and was therefore delighted to hear all my old favourites again on CD. Got out my big iron from the hip and shot them all in a heap !! Nostalgia therefore fully complete !

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Rules, 13 Dec. 2011
One of the top western singers of the past. He manages in his songs to convey you to the real Wild West without the romanticised pictures that other US western singers convey. These songs take me back to a time when there was a degree of innocence in the world and we could use our imagination to soar. How much more satisfying than having everything on video and realistically digitised.
I can still see 'the five mounted cowboys' of El Passo from the memory of my youth. A powerful picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elemental songs from another time, 19 Sept. 2013
MD Farmer "Martinet" (Southern Britain) - See all my reviews
If you want to know where modern American country songs come from, you need look no further than this amazing collection which take you back to a time when men slept rough with their horses for weeks on end. I consider Big Iron to be an absolute classic of the story-within-a-song as captued by Bob Dylan in Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts or New Riders of the Purple Sage in any number of songs.