5.0 out of 5 stars I'M INTO SOMETHING GOOD...
I bought this cd for nostalgic reasons, as I was a teenager when the British Invasion of pop stars began in the wake of the success of the Fab Four, The Beatles, on our American shore in the mid-nineteen sixties. With the advent of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and The Dave Clark Five, how could Herman's Hermits not fare well...
Published on 16 Jan 2004 by Lawyeraau

3.0 out of 5 stars 60s music
delivered promptly, packing undamaged, what more can I say, a CD is bought to suit personal music taste and I liked it.
Published 9 months ago by turniptop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M INTO SOMETHING GOOD..., 16 Jan 2004
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I bought this cd for nostalgic reasons, as I was a teenager when the British Invasion of pop stars began in the wake of the success of the Fab Four, The Beatles, on our American shore in the mid-nineteen sixties. With the advent of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and The Dave Clark Five, how could Herman's Hermits not fare well?
Led by the fresh faced, photogenic, clean-cut and boyish Peter Noone, the band was to conquer America with their up-tempo, British music hall influenced, vaudevillian pop. They took America by storm. In listening to the album, which is a terrific, comprehensive compilation of their recordings, I realized that I had forgotten just how many hit songs they had had that I still love hearing.
From their irrepressible debut single, "I'm Into Something Good", to their remake of the Rays' nineteen fifties hit "Silhouettes", to the unparalleled "No Milk Today", and last, but certainly not least, their 1967 hit, "There's a Kind of a Hush All Over the World", Herman's Hermits were able to score significant hits. There are other hits on this album, some more well known, perhaps, but these are my favorites. With twenty five tracks from which to choose, many baby boomers will enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but brilliant sixties pop group, 6 April 2004
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Among the Herman's Hermits compilations currently available, this is as good as any.

Their American chart history was very different from their UK chart history. Some singles were released in one country but not the other and even where a single was released in both, it often did much better in one than the other. Despite having a UK number one hit with their first single, they were much more popular in America than Britain from 1964 to 1966 but the positions were reversed thereafter.

The American top ten hit, Leaning on a lamp post, and two other American top forty hits (Don't go out in the rain, Museum) are not included here, though none of these made the UK charts - only Museum was actually released in the UK. Also missing is Hold me, the title track of a film they starred in. The only UK hit missing is Oh you pretty thing, a Peter Noone solo track recorded in the early seventies.

Herman's Hermits began with I'm into something good (a cover of a song by Earl Jean of the Cookies), their only British number one hit, which also made the American top twenty. Six top ten American hits including two number ones were never released as UK singles, these being Can't you hear my heartbeat (a UK hit for Goldie and the gingerbreads), Mrs Brown you've got a lovely daughter, I'm Henry the eighth I am (an old music hall song), Listen people, Leaning on the lamp post (inexplicably omitted from this collection) and Dandy. Two UK singles - Show me girl, You won't be leaving - made the top twenty but were not released as singles in America.

Some singles were released in both countries, these being Silhouettes (a cover of a fifties song by The Rays), Wonderful world (a song that has also charted for both Sam Cooke and Louis Armstrong at different times), Just a little bit better, A must to avoid, This door swings both ways, No milk today and East west.

There's a kind of hush was a top ten hit in both charts although it was a bigger hit in America. I can take or leave your loving just missed the UK top ten and just missed the American top twenty. After that, Herman's Hermits never again made the American top forty but continued to chart in Britain.

Their remaining major UK hits were Sleepy Joe, Something is happening, My sentimental friend, Years may come years may go and Lady Barbara. Here comes the star (an Australian song) and Bet your life I do (written by members of Hot Chocolate before they became famous for their own music) were lesser UK hits.
Despite missing a few songs, this collection will provide enough Herman's Hermits music for most people. Some years ago, there were two CD's available in the UK titled Best of the EMI years (Volume 1 1964 - 1966, Volume 2 1967 - 1971). These are now out of print but together remain the most comprehensive collection of their music yet released on CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pristine 60�s Pop, 16 Mar 2003
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Herman's Hermits were nearly as successful as The Beatles and The Stones in the sixties and also made the American breakthrough. They had a knack for hummable, melodic tunes and they featured in a movie or two that I saw as a kid (Ms Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter was one of those movie hits, the daughter in question being the puppy of a racing dog if I remember correctly!). What set them apart, was the lovely harmony vocals and the British accent; unlike most, they never affected an American or even mid-Atlantic accent in their catchy music. This excellent collection includes all of their greatest hits, taking the listener down memory lane to revisit the innocence of the 60s with glorious pop songs like I'm Into Something Good, Sleepy Joe and humorous ditties like I'm Hennery The Eighth I Am. My personal favourites include No Milk Today, There's A Kind Of Hush, My Sentimental Friend, Years May Come, Years May Go and Lady Barbara. I suppose they were considered a teenybop band and therefore weren't taken as seriously as some of their contemporaries, but time has been kind to their music - compared to a lot of today's chart stuff, this is a classic, timeless sound. This album will appeal to everyone who loves clever, tuneful pop performed with feeling and intelligence.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best collection, 15 May 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
This is a very good compilation cd of all of the UK A-side single releases by the group, the ORIGINAL recordings, and it also contains the hit singles they had in the US which were not released here in the UK as singles : "I'm Henenery the Eighth, I Am " and "Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter". This group just could not stop scoring with every release (except their second one !), and no wonder, as there is always a strong melody, and the execution (singing and playing of instruments) is hardly to be faulted. The essential collection for those wanting the very best of this group on one cd only.

4.0 out of 5 stars HERMANS HERMITS, 4 Aug 2013
E. Beauchamp (Bracknell Berks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Sometimes a cd is bought for certain tracks and this cd has many good tracks but as in all cds there are some that dont appeal to the listener.

4.0 out of 5 stars good muscic, 25 May 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (MP3 Download)
I lived through them 50 60 s so this is my kind of music I love rock and roll brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 6 May 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
this CD was absolutely fantastic it brought back so many memories of dare i say it my younger days thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back good memories, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I have listened to this many times since buying the CD. It takes me back to the time where the music was good and you could actually hear and understand the words. Great for singing along to whilst doing the chores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Feb 2014
rjw27 (Weymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
All their best songs. I bought this for my other half and am loving it myself. I forgot how much I enjoyed their music. Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory lane, 6 Jan 2014
M. Crawford (Isle of Arran, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (MP3 Download)
I recently went to a sixties concert where some of the groups of that era were playing. That made me nostalgic and decided to download some of the albums. This being one of them. I have not been disappointed, brrought back some lovely memories of my teenage years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of by Herman's Hermits (Audio CD - 1997)