Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 November 2002
The much-awaited return from Ms Crow after a critically disappointing second album is perhaps her top offering. Opening track My Favourite Mistake is quite possibly her finest ever song, while ample support can be found in underrated singles There Goes the Neighbourhood and Anything But Down. Even a critical mauling can't hide the musical excellence that Crow exemplifies on the multifold excellent album tracks - Am I Getting Through and It Don't Hurt are the best examples, with the latter displaying a guitar solo strongly reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac's The Chain. The collection is mostly self-penned material, with exceptions in covers of Bob Dylan’s Mississippi and a more than passable alternative to the Guns N’ Roses’ Sweet Child O’ Mine. Even the hidden track Subway is rather special.
on 23 February 2001
I was tempted to give this CD 5 stars! If a 4 and a half star rating existed I would give it that. Sheryl's first album, "The Tuesday Night Music Club" was oustanding and just seemed fresh and interesting somehow. Then her 2nd, "Sheryl Crow" was a bit too commercial, as if it was written more to sell records than to really produce good music. It was also a little too heavy for her style of singing. This is much more like it - more her style. Great lyrics - good, catchy but not-too-commercial melodies. And there's real variety in this album. Her version of Dylan's "Mississippi" is superb! It's one of those albums you can put on because you want to listen to 5 or 10 minutes music...and end up listening to the whole album! Again and again. It really is good - and I'm looking forward to her next album now!
on 18 June 2001
Firstly, if i could give this CD 4 and a 1/2 stars, i would.
This was bought for me by my parents after Sheryl Crow did a "blinding" live set at a Stones gig a few years ago, and i wish now that i had been there to see it. "The Globe Sessions" is one of those CD's that everyone has, but no one fully appreciates until later. My favourite tracks have got to be 'Am i Getting Through' (both 'parts'!!), 'The Difficult Kind' and 'Anything but Down', which is a great track to sing your heart out to. I also find the intro of 'Resuscitation' pretty cool,in a 'twangy' way! This is my favourite album to sit and listen to, a great album - sometimes laid back, sometimes full of emotion, and i don't have to get up and press the 'skip' button too often (only on 'Maybe Thats Something'- i'm not sure about that one, but i'm sure it'll grow on me!)
It may not be as good as "Tuesday Night Music Club", but its still damm good!!
I love it.
on 11 July 2000
Sheryl Crow's third album sees the singer happy for the first time in her relativly short career. The country music of 'Tuesday Night Music Club' long gone and only the slightest trace of the boozy rock of 'Sheryl Crow' this album is a middleground. The album is the most personal to date, and to be honest a bit watered down from the usual rocked out stuff, but the album is rich in well written, well performed songs. The opener 'my favourite mistake' is diverse in its lyrics and contains a strong guitar riff throughout. Other songs of note are 'anything but down', probably the best of the whole album. Its a rocky tale of a bad relationship (aren't they all) but you can't help but join in during the chorus. This album contains something for everyone, if you like mellow slow songs you'll enjoy 'riverwide'. If you're more in funky stuff you'll love 'there goes the neightbourhood'. and for the all out rocker, there's 'am i getting through' and 'it don't hurt'. on the whole a good album, well rounded, and maybe thats why's why its not to everyones taste.
on 14 May 2001
I've owned this album for quite a while now and it's one I often come back to. There is a great deal of variety to this album and a nice sense of it not being too commercial. A feeling that these are the songs which Sheryl Crow wanted to write. And she sings them so personally that you can believe it. There are moments in some of the songs which affect me a lot - especially in "My Favourite Mistake" and "Difficult Kind" but there are loads of places where you sit back and are plain impressed...
on 10 October 2000
I buy a lot of music and I think I can usually spot gem of an album pretty quickly but I was caught by this one. I bought this on the back of liking the previous two outings "Tuesday night bla bla bla" and the self-titled one. I listened to this album once and then filed it under "open in the next century". But one day, last year, just before a long car journey I picked this up and gave it another listen. What an album, what a voice and what a slide guitar! This album is brilliant, a couple of dud tracks at the end but the others more than make up for it. I have no liking for country music but the guitars on this are just awesome. Go and buy it. Strangely enough, It's in my top ten albums along with The Bends, Revolver, LA Woman and Never mind the B*****S!
on 19 February 2001
The first time I listened to this album, I didn't really listen to it, not properly. The second time I listened to it, it didn't come out of my CD player for at least a month. After every playing of this album, the songs seem to have more meaning and you really do get a feel for it.
It is an excellent album to mellow out to. It's great for some easy listening. Most of the songs are quite relaxing, apart from the more upbeat Mississippi. My favourites on this CD would have to be Riverwide, The Difficult Kind (brilliant), Anything but Down and Am I Getting Through.
She really is an excellent artist. The guitar is fantastic and her voice is as brilliantly husky as ever. This is definitely worth buying. It's pretty much a 'best hits' album for her, so if you're going to buy an album by Sherly Crow, get this one.
I expected more of this the music is good nicely played by a tight band, the lyrics are a good and the songs are whet you expect from Sheryl Crow. The surround mix I found a bit lacking and even more unforgivably a track mentioned on the case is not actually included, her cover of `Guns n Rose's `Sweet child o' mine'. The surround mix is nice discrete but not adventurous.
on 14 November 1999
Sheryl Crow is brilliant! She also produced this CD. Her raspy rock-perfect voice wraps itself effortlessly around the great lyrics and makes you truly believe you are her "Favourite Mistake." A great follow up from her first CD (which is great too, by the way), The Globe Sessions effectively evolves her style to the next level. "My Favourite Mistake", "There Goes the Neighbourhood" and "Anything but Down" are nothing short of excellent and rank up with the best rock sounds you've ever heard. Everything else takes on the supporting role perfectly - and are not the let down that some supporting songs can be. If you like rock, this is a must have.
on 16 November 1999
The first time I heard this cd I really did not enjoy it very much. But, a friend of mine really liked it and convinced me that it would grow on me - they were right. It has grown on me considerably. My opinion of Sheryl Crow's voice wavers though. Sometimes I think she hits the notes just right, and other times I just can't tell.. "Anything but Down" grew on me tremendously as did "There Goes the Neighborhood." If you are a Sheryl Crow fan I think you will enjoy this cd, but I would recommend her debut release first.