on 26 July 2002
It's hard to believe this marvellous greatest hits album has now been in print for ten years!
It covers the whole of Kylie Minogue's early career with the PWL record label, from 'I Should Be So Lucky' in 1987 to 'Celebration' in 1992. This album features nineteen UK Top 20 hit singles, including four number ones and no less than fifteen Top 10 hits, all presented here in chronological order, plus a couple of tracks that were only released as singles in the USA and Japan and a track recorded especially for this compilation, called 'Where In The World?'.
My only gripe is the omission of Kylie's 1991 single, 'Keep On Pumpin' It', and the fact that they've rather carelessly included the album versions of 'The Loco-Motion', 'What Do I Have To Do' and 'Finer Feelings', instead of the single remixes. (The single mix of 'Finer Feelings' is actually vastly superior to the album version!)
But other than those two minor quibbles, this is a very thorough compilation (unlike Madonna's 'Immaculate Collection' and 'Greatest Hits Vol. 2'). If, like the critics, you wrote off Kylie's early music at the time for being no more than throwaway bubblegum pop, this amazing collection could make you think again! Many of the songs, even the earliest and cheesiest tunes such as 'I Should Be So Lucky' and 'Got To Be Certain', have improved with age, mainly because the catchy rhythms and distinctively '80s production now inspire a feeling of nostalgia and a sense of 'they don't make them like that any more!' (Who could forget those wonderful drum machines in 'Hand On Your Heart'!!!) Kylie's later PWL hits have a more grown-up, 'clubby' sound (including the classic 'Better The Devil You Know'), and there is even a touch of soul ('If You Were With Me Now' and 'Finer Feelings'). This progression was a result of Kylie becoming more successful and confident, and no longer having to conform to the notoriously manufactured Stock/Aitken/Waterman 'Hit Factory' - after all, they needed her more than she needed them! With more control over her sound and image, Kylie began co-writing her own material and was free to experiment more.
It's such a shame that this album is now only available in the UK as an Australian import. With Kylie now massive again all over the world, surely the time has come for a new and updated 'Greatest Hits', or a 'Greatest Hits 2' album? In the meantime, I would urge all pop fans to buy this CD, as it's an essential part of any music collection, and would make a perfect Christmas or birthday gift for someone. So, 'Step Back In Time' and enjoy!
on 6 April 2001
All you could ever want from a Kylie CD-all the best tracks, all the singles from her first four brilliant albums, all together on one CD, just as I had always wanted. It takes you right back to I Shoul Be So Lucky and my personal favourite, Got To Be Certain, through to Celebration. A feel good CD which makes you want to go out and dance!
on 20 August 2014
One of the best greatest hits CD you must have, i don't usually buy any compilations or ''greatest hits'' cd, but this one really worth the money, not to mentioned it contains most of the great songs of Kylie.

If you can, try to get the original 1992 edition, which cd booklet contains more pictures, compare to the reissued 1998 Australian version, which printed on some poor quality paper, with few blur pictures.
on 5 April 2000
KYLIE- GREATEST HITS - 22 TRACK CD *****
KYLIE- GREATEST HITS witnesses the Australian pop-diva in her prime before her mind was polluted with becoming a 'rock chick'. (don't get me wrong, being a K fan to the core, I'd have to say that her 2 albums with d/c were reasonable, with some outstanding tracks - confide in me, dangerous game, p.y.i.m.p, cowboy style, breathe, dreams...). With NO mediocre tracks, this album can be summed up in 1 word, FANTASTIC. A must for those who grew up with the Australian princess of pop. This album chronicles the Minogue years with P.W.L, reviewing the early 'cheese-tastic' period of 'lucky' 'locomotion', 'je ne sais pas pourquoi', 'especially for you' (the song SO cheesy they could have sold it in the dairy), hand on your heart, and my personal favourite, 'It's No Secret'. To the later years with S.A.W (when eventually 'A' dropped out) with the dance floor anthem 'Better the devil you know' (A song which cannot be brought down from its thrown, even by those who unintentionally try to rip it apart- erm, steps? ). Towards the latter end of this History we see Minogue inputting writing ideas towards the magnificent ballad 'if you were with me now', a duet with the since unknown American singer Keith Washington, who makes a good attempt, but somehow fails to keep up with her. This astounding CD ends with, what this album is, a 'Celebration', of 22 immaculate hits. I now hear that Miss Minogue is returning to her pop routes with parlaphone records, and is recording with the likes of Robbie Williams; making an album for us later this year, and I can safely say that if it's anything like this album, we have nothing to fear, and the rightful queen of pop can once again take her thrown. JONATHAN ROSEN
on 27 February 2013
It's Kylie. It's all her early SAW songs. It's in chronological order and it's fabulous. Some may call it cheesy. But they need to lighten up. It's a collection of songs that brings me back to being a five year old, to a ten year old, to my teens when I would play the songs. I am 29 now and this CD is my go to CD to feel happy. I never stopped being a Kylie fan. She has always been there. I love her new stuff of course but I will always really really love all her old stuff. Buy this CD. It will make sure you are never depressed.
on 19 August 2003
This is a fantastic overview of Kylie's early hit years, and a textbook example of how truly great pop music can capture a period in your life. Sure, some of the production might sound just a little dated now, but just try to resist turning up the stereo, pulling the blinds, then dancing like a middle-aged fool to these three-and-a-half minute melodic gems! Impossible to pick favourites, but if I had to choose, "Better The Devil You Know", "Hand On Your Heart" and "What Kind Of Fool" are the pinnacles for me. Don't pay attention to your friends who might say, "Ugh, that's just cheesy '80s music". You know better!
In 1980's Britain, the most successful pop record producers were the team of Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Many of their singers faded from popularity as quickly as they emerged, leaving a legacy of doubtful importance. A rose above the rest but the star that shone the brightest was Kylie. This is the definitive compilation of Kylie's music from that period, notably including her UK chart-topping duet with Jason Donovan, Especially for you, which originally appeared on one of his albums but did not appear on any of Kylie's original albums.
Nobody who was around in Britain in the late eighties will ever forget the chorus line of her first hit (one of several British number one records) - I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky - it's the kind of song you either love or hate. Many hate it, and I sometimes feel I ought to - but no, I love it. There was always something about Kylie, even then, that set her apart as something special.
Most of these songs were written and/or produced by Stock, Aitken and Waterman. There are a few covers and it was two of these - Locomotion (the Little Eva sixties classic) and Tears on my pillow (the Little Anthony fifties classic) - that aroused my interest in Kylie's music. They are both brilliant - indeed, Locomotion provided Kylie with her only huge American hit during this period. As to Tears on my pillow, I've heard several versions. Kylie should be proud of her cover, which gave her another huge hit. Give me just a little more time (Chairmen of the board) and Celebration (Kool and the gang) provide further evidence of Kylie's ability to revive oldies and take them high up the charts.
Je ne sais pas porqoui (an English language song despite it's chorus line), Got to be certain, Hand on your heart, Better the devil you know and Wouldn't change a thing are among the other classic UK hits to be found here.
While many will continue to dismiss Kylie (especially these early hits), she is much better than many of the singers she is sometimes compared to, and has proved it by lasting longer than any of her critics thought possible.
Just a warning - if you got into Kylie's music because of her more recent material, you will find that her early music is very different. It is possible to enjoy both her recent music and her early music (as I do) but not everybody does.
on 20 April 2003
This is a must for ALL Kylie fans old and new. This is Kylie from the beginning, all her old songs are on here and it's great, I would recommend any Kylie fan to own this one, absolutely fab!!!!!!!!!!No Kylie fan should be without it.
on 21 March 2015
Was good to listen to some of the old songs
on 20 June 2000
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A KYLIE FAN AND THE THOUGHT OF A GREATEST HITS WAS A GOOD ONE BUT I THOUGHT THEY WOULD MISS THINGS OUT BOY WAS I WRONG EVERY HIT IS HEAR FROM HER INANE I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY TO THE FAB CELEBRATION ALL THE SONGS THAT YOU DANCED AT ARE HERE I WOULD DEFENATLY RECOMMEND THIS ALBUM TO ANYONE IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE GREATEST HITS AROUND. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE EW ALBUM IF NEW SINGLE SPINNING AROUND IS ANYTHING TO GO BY. BUY THIS SHE IS FAB.