Mozart: The Great Violin Sonatas, Vol.2
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£10.72+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 14 July 2011
I happened recently to catch Anne-Sophie Mutter and Lambert Orkis on Sky Arts 2 playing the Sonata in E flat K302, and thought what enjoyable music. Wanting to explore this to me unknown field further I bought this album, partly on the strength of reviews elsewhere, and partly knowing Henryk Szeryng to be one of the finest violinists of his generation, and Ingrid Haebler as a noted Mozartian. They are a winning combination in this music.

Mozart wrote some 35 sonatas for violin and piano, of which nos 1-16 are 'juvenile' works. This Philips Duo double album, along with Volume 1, covers most of the middle and mature works. Some of the writing is very attractive and tuneful, but there is also depth,
subtlety and virtuosity. I was particularly struck by the G major sonata K.379 (marvellously atmospheric introduction) and by what is reckoned his finest, the Sonata in A K.526.

Mozart's Violin Sonatas may seem to be overshadowed by Beethoven's efforts in this field, but it was Mozart in his later works that brought the format to a height of perfection, with the violin and piano fused in harmony - I highly recommend this collection. Enjoy!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 22 February 2009
I had these years ago on LP and am very glad to have my 'old friends' back. Wonderful performances- you can't go wrong buying these CDs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again