Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 July 2001
Yes her diction is poor, yes she does not inhabit the role of Violetta like Callas or Scotto do, but sing beautifully she can and does. Joan Sutherland was at her zenith when she recorded this first Traviata (1962), she is delightfully flirtatious and prectitably dazzling in the coloratura of the first act, and elsewhere she makes up with tonal beauty the lack of dramatic insight and verbal nuance. She is very well partnered by the ever elegant and intelligent Carlo Bergonzi and the rock-solid bronze-like voiced Robert Merrill, both singing superbly. Chorus and orchestra are excellent under the sensitive baton of John Pritchard. Complete text and good sound if somewhat boomy. Perhaps not the most moving version but certainly amongts the best sung, another real bargain in the DOUBLE DECCA serie.
on 24 August 2010
Bought this after seeing a live performance of La Traviata by New Devon Opera this summer, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am not an opera officionado - this was only the second opera I'd ever seen and the first I'd actually enjoyed. For what its worth though, the CD is fantastic with Joan Sutherland putting in a great performance in the main role. I found the introductory notes extremely helpful and having listened to it many times, I think that my highlight is the end of act 2, which is absolutely breathtaking!
on 3 September 2004
Excellent singing throughout from a very good cast. Sutherland sounds very young and shines throughout. Bergonzi is a brilliant partner to Sutherland and Merrill is memorable. Well recorded and very well conducted this is excellent value for money, a really strong Traviata.
on 27 February 2012
this recording is superb all three main soloists are first rate with the soprano being outstanding not suprising with the name joan sutherland.
on 29 May 2012
What can I say, bought this cd because I was exposed to opera a good deal as a youngster and now as an almost 50 year old man found out that i really enjoy this kind of music... Well this was recorded one month before I was born... just found out by reading the notes.
Given this fact i'm blown away about how good the recording is. Besides all this sentimental and technical talk, this is a very enjoyable
piece of art!
on 20 June 2014
I have listened to and loved classical music for years, but shunned opera...squally sopranos, silly stories etc. I have started with some famous works like this. I must have heard some of the melodies before. Joan Sutherland had a magnificent voice, and the part of Violetta is a bit like a concerto for soprano. She carries it off beautifully but murders the Italian language! Her diction is poor. But my goodness, she hits the notes. And isn't squally. I like this Decca series for the listening guides (no librettos).
on 16 July 2014
I had this on vinyl years ago and am pleased to have it back in my life. There is some beautiful music on this.
on 17 August 2015
I enjoyed this as the opera in my opinion requires quality singers for the very lyrical music.
on 13 November 2015
Adore this version. So many strong performers combining beautifully.
on 7 November 2015
Great works fine delivered on time would use seller again