5.0 out of 5 stars best sung traviata, 22 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
Yes her diction is poor, yes she does not inhabit the role of Violetta like Callas or Scotto do, but sing beautifully she can and does. Joan Sutherland was at her zenith when she recorded this first Traviata (1962), she is delightfully flirtatious and prectitably dazzling in the coloratura of the first act, and elsewhere she makes up with tonal beauty the lack of dramatic insight and verbal nuance. She is very well partnered by the ever elegant and intelligent Carlo Bergonzi and the rock-solid bronze-like voiced Robert Merrill, both singing superbly. Chorus and orchestra are excellent under the sensitive baton of John Pritchard. Complete text and good sound if somewhat boomy. Perhaps not the most moving version but certainly amongts the best sung, another real bargain in the DOUBLE DECCA serie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction to opera..., 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
Bought this after seeing a live performance of La Traviata by New Devon Opera this summer, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am not an opera officionado - this was only the second opera I'd ever seen and the first I'd actually enjoyed. For what its worth though, the CD is fantastic with Joan Sutherland putting in a great performance in the main role. I found the introductory notes extremely helpful and having listened to it many times, I think that my highlight is the end of act 2, which is absolutely breathtaking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant, 3 Sep 2004
D. Bennett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
Excellent singing throughout from a very good cast. Sutherland sounds very young and shines throughout. Bergonzi is a brilliant partner to Sutherland and Merrill is memorable. Well recorded and very well conducted this is excellent value for money, a really strong Traviata.

5.0 out of 5 stars retiredken, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
this recording is superb all three main soloists are first rate with the soprano being outstanding not suprising with the name joan sutherland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Oldies, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (MP3 Download)
I can not tell you how much pleasure this recording has given me. Sutherland is superb and Bergonzi magnificant. The pace is measured and used to emphasize the drama. I feel sorry for contemporary singers having to compete with the strength of the back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say..., 29 May 2012
D. Lichtenveldt "WildeBassMan" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
What can I say, bought this cd because I was exposed to opera a good deal as a youngster and now as an almost 50 year old man found out that i really enjoy this kind of music... Well this was recorded one month before I was born... just found out by reading the notes.
Given this fact i'm blown away about how good the recording is. Besides all this sentimental and technical talk, this is a very enjoyable
piece of art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Present so I don't know

4.0 out of 5 stars I know that tune..., 20 Jun 2014
M. Hayward "Dr Soil" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
I have listened to and loved classical music for years, but shunned opera...squally sopranos, silly stories etc. I have started with some famous works like this. I must have heard some of the melodies before. Joan Sutherland had a magnificent voice, and the part of Violetta is a bit like a concerto for soprano. She carries it off beautifully but murders the Italian language! Her diction is poor. But my goodness, she hits the notes. And isn't squally. I like this Decca series for the listening guides (no librettos).

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Verdi: La Traviata (Audio CD)
this is a good, belting version of Trav, the only thing that stops it being 5* being the senior Germont, who underwhelms.
Very good for the price.
CH

Verdi: La Traviata
Verdi: La Traviata by Giuseppe Verdi (Audio CD - 1999)