5.0 out of 5 stars A musical genius is born, and music will never be the same
Published on 21 Aug 2003 by Daniel Jolley

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album - dont buy the non explicit version
This is eminem's best album. Best tunes and best lyrics.

However dont buy the non-explicit version, as the bleeps / word changes, completely spoil it.

Buy this album..... but buy the explicit version (5 stars).
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by AJW IOM

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical genius is born, and music will never be the same, 21 Aug 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
I am for the most part a very conservative person, and those who know me would probably never imagine that I am a devoted Eminem fan. When The Slim Shady LP came out in 1999, I heard a lot about it, but I had almost no exposure to the music itself. The only song I really heard at the time was the radio version of My Name Is, and that little ditty seemed to have "gimmick" written all over it. I expected Eminem to disappear from the music scene after a few months. I, like many people, was uninformed and wrongly dismissed this artist out of hand. Then, I actually listened to the man's music, and I soon realized that Eminem was in fact a musical genius. This first album is a little more bare-bones and gritty than The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show, but it is nonetheless nothing short of amazing. I am not exactly a big fan of rap or hip-hop, although I have wandered down those lanes a few times in my past, but Eminem actually transcends rap, creating a musical genre all his own that reaches out to even the most unlikeliest of places to win fans like me. Sure, the lyrics are explicit, but what I have come to realize is this: Eminem does not use the explicit lyrics to attract notoriety and sell albums; he uses explicit lyrics because he is expressing himself in a shockingly honest way, and what he gives us is his own version of truth and reality. He really does have something to say, and he says it in a way that speaks not only to the culture of the streets but also to boring conservative individuals like me.
I can't find a bad song on this album, although I'm not that fond of the Ken Kaniff sketch. Eminem does things with beats and rhymes that I have never heard anyone else do, using the very rhythm of his music as a further means of communicating his ideas and feelings. 97 Bonnie and Clyde is rightfully well-known, a song which addresses real issues that many people deal with every day; it's much more than a song about someone killing his wife. Guilty Conscience is a notable track, with Eminem and Dr. Dre playing devil and angel to folks encountering real, albeit, extreme situations. One of the greatest things about Emimen is his denial of himself as some kind of role model or superman; you can't pin him down to anything, as he shifts back and forth between a "don't do like I do" message (such as can be found in Role Model) and a celebration of the parents' nightmares he is creating. His life hasn't been easy, as he relates in Rock Bottom and further expounds upon in Brain Damage. As the World Turns is a great song with pop appeal, but my favorite has to be My Fault. Lounge, the preamble of My Fault, is just amazing because its Beach Boys-esque sound is quite unexpected and a perfect lead-in to what has to be the funniest song on the album. There's all kinds of variety here, including the designated "dance track" [Come] on Everybody. "Still Don't Give a" is the perfect ending to this emotionally complex diatribe of an album, summing up in the introductory words the very essence of Eminem.
There are many individuals who would never agree with me, but I truly think there is a little Eminem in all of us. As an introvert who tries to avoid conflict, I can't help but idolize Eminem for his fearlessness, boldness, and complete dedication to individualism. His reputation guarantees a legion of men and women who will never even consider listening to his music or consider him anything more than a moral cancer on the younger generations, but I think Eminem has already proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is a talented musician capable of influencing the music of today and tomorrow in ways that many people will probably never even realize. While I enjoy his next two albums a little bit more than this one, The Slim Shady LP serves as an absolutely crucial piece to the fascinating puzzle that is Eminem.

5.0 out of 5 stars You just don't get it..., 10 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
Eminem is one of the most contraversial, verbally shocking and talented rappers in years. The message behind his album is not one of killing, destruction and mayhem but a sly, sarcastic look at pop culture as it exists today. Don't take his lyrics at face value and PLEASE buy the uncensored version of the album as if you don't know what he's saying, you miss out on what he's all about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album - dont buy the non explicit version, 17 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
This is eminem's best album. Best tunes and best lyrics.

Buy this album..... but buy the explicit version (5 stars).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it. Right now., 8 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
I have an eclectic music taste but I have never really got past Will Smith when it comes to rap. However, I had heard a lot about Eminem and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I wasn't disapointed. He brilliantly manages to combine the funny tracks (e.g. Guilty Conscience and 97' Bonnie and Clyde) with the hard-hitting stuff (e.g. Role Model, Rock Bottom and Still Don't Give a F**k). He even manages to mix it up in the same track, My Fault and My Name Is being perfect examples. Of course, you could get caught up in just the lyrics and forget about the music. Fortunately, most of the tracks have a brilliant rhythm and tune to go with the words, although If I Had and My Fault fall down slightly on this front.
An essential purchase not just for the rap fan but for any music fan who wants to broaden their horizons. The best album of 1999.

3.0 out of 5 stars really odd (I love surreal and odd), 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
Definitely NOT into rap, or 2002- Eminem, but this is a strange, hilarious and extremely surreal comic album. I don't see it as music per se, but more extremely clever rhyming schemes and patterns going along to a catchy beat. Yes, it is extremely vulgar, but that's Slim Shady! Slim is the evil alter-ego who says and reports to have done things no normal human being would do. Pure evil, in other words. I really did find myself laughing out loud at parts of this album, and the wittiness helps exaggerate the humour a lot! One track, AKA the one of two- part murder fantasy '97' Bonnie and Clyde', is probably one of the strangest and most evil stories from a fictional source I've ever heard. Slim raps calmly in baby-talk in order to communicate with his baby daughter, while they go for a drive in the car to dispose of his girlfriend/wife in the lake. This would not have much impact if it weren't done so well! He's also manipulating the audience into thinking it's a normal thing for him to do. The front cover is the illustration for that song.

However, it's really, really odd (I love surreal and odd), and very clever stuff. I cannot say the same of the albums after the Marshall Mathers LP. Quality declined, and he went 'gangsta', then Pop. If you are not easily offended, and love strange stuff... even if you hate rap and find it does nothing for you, get this album, or ar least listen to it. It uses rap as a foundation for crazy and hysterical but very clever stories and fantasies. A lot of acid/shrooms were consumed in the making of this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars wake up world- here comes slim shady., 17 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
From the moment I first heard this album I was hooked, great tunes matched by Shady's dark sense of humour ensure that this album gets better with every listen. I actually prefer this to his newie, which is a huge recommenation as I would also rate 'the Marshall Mathers LP' as a 5 star classic. However, there is something about this album which gets me every time like the swing of 'Brain Damage', the irony of 'Role model' or the way Dre and Shady trade blows on the infectious 'Guilty Conscience'. Buy this album or you may be left with one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amazing Rap Album by Eminem - pure raw talent., 10 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
Do you want to be blown out of your mind? This is certainly the best album ever. Every track is unique. The most hard-hitting and amazing fact about this album is that as he was composing it with Dr Dre he was still right on the edge and really going through a lot of the sh*t he raps about, he really was broke, engaged to Kim and barely able to pay rent. This is why it is so personal - and the music totally gets to you. Best tracks include 'Brain Damage', 'Role Model', and 'Rock Bottom'. Despite his bad situation, and being sick of not being recognised for his talent - he manages to take it all in his stride and adds loads of humour. This Hip Hop album is pure DOPE - Eminem proves all he needs for a sick album is genuine raw talent. Listen to this - and appreciate rap.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BIRTH OF A GENIUS, 4 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
the slim shady LP, a look in to the dark, twisted world of eminem, this was his debut, he was broke angry, and ready to take on the world, and let me tell you this album is nothing short of brilliant, eminem proves himself as an incredible lyricist, with an amazing delivery great voice, he is brutally honest and raps about a range of subject matters, such as the struggles of being broke, hilarious storytelling songs, killing his girlfriend, vicous battle rap songs, dissing everyone from his mum to vanilla ice, in fact, the majority of the songs on this album are hilarious battle rap songs, which doesnt really matter because eminem comes up with punchlines, jokes, and multis galore, this album is mainly produced by underground producers(apart from 2 songs produced by dr dre), and the beats are amazing, theye are not heavy or commercialized but still easy on the ear, and its obvious the producers took alot of time trying to get the mood of the production to fit the songs this is the second best of eminems 3 amazing albums(encore was garbage) i would highly recommend this, if you want to hear some amazing lyricism, brutal honesty, or amazing battle rap skills, peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Classis, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums by him and don't get tired of hearing it, it is worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Raw as Botulism!, 26 Nov 2009
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Slim Shady LP (Audio CD)
I picked up this disc the other day for what must be the 1000th time & STILL found something new in it! If CD's wore out, then this one should have. Long ago. Fortunately it hasn't & its contents have, as yet, failed to fade with the passage of time.

Although there are some tracks that lack power (e.g. If I Had & Role Model), most of the other tracks have amazing lyrics & such economy of language that you'll be discovering the meaning behind a word or phrase for years to come.
For instance, a friend pointed out to me that ''97 Bonnie & Clyde' was the 2nd part of Kim off The Marshall Mathers LP & suddenly 2 songs which seemed completely different (one subtle, one brutal) made sense as one piece...

There is also tracks such as Rock Bottom (about being down in the dumps), As The World Turns (a surreal day-in-the-life of Eminem) & Bad Meets Evil (Eminem as a Wild-West villain), which are the type of thing that other artists would *dream* of having on their first album. It's like watching Bruce Lee in action - all your frustrated rage finds its voice & its expression in the words &, paradoxically, you feel chilled out by something that should stress you out!

Anyways, I suppose what I'm saying is that this record hasn't aged. I look at 'OK Computer' & 'Blur'-Blur (from the same time) & they don't really compare; this record is densely & fully packed with Eminem at his brightest & sharpest before he went ad nauseam on 'The Marshall Mathers LP'.
Although fame didn't ruin Eminem, it certainly did distort his playful wit & it's a truly excellent thing that this CD is there (like Definitely Maybe or Experience) to remind us all of what good music REALLY is - raw, passionate (in the true sense) & powerful, in a way that the 'Jedward's' of this World couldn't possibly fathom...

The Slim Shady LP
The Slim Shady LP by Eminem (Audio CD - 2003)