5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly melancholy although ultimately uplifting
Published on 22 Nov. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars tears of stone
I should have known by the record title that I would be a sad melancholy CD,there are only two tracks that remind me of the 'happy' Chieftans,some people might enjoy this but I cant say that I did
Published 21 months ago by joplaw171

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly melancholy although ultimately uplifting, 22 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Certainly a diverse choice in artists. I found the Joni Mitchell track "Magdalene Laundries" particularly haunting and I must say it was my favourite track. The Corrs track "I know my love" was a bouncy uplifting number. You can't beat the voice of Sinead O'Connor and I was surprised to hear a great rendition by Shania Twain. In fact this album is full of pleasant surprises. A well worth buy that has become a timeless addition to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying Collaborations, 16 Feb. 2007
A. J. Rabet "Rabs" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
The Chieftains are known for their willingness to work with artist from many fields most notably the folk punksters of the Pogues but in this album they surpass themselves working with Female Artists as diverse Bonnie Raitt, Natalie Merchant, The Corrs, Sinead O'Connor, Joni Mitchell and others including a Japanese Artist Akiko Yano who I must confess I have never heard of before.

The result is a very satisfying album of Traditional Irish Music with a modern twist but I really think it was just an excuse to get to see and work with all these lovely ladies!

5.0 out of 5 stars High crepuscular atmosphere, 10 July 2011
Lucazest (Rezzato (Brescia), Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Chieftains are the introspective countepart of sunny and smiling Dubliners.
Both fantastic in their respective fields.
If you' re not prepared for these celtic cemetery atmospheres it' s better
not to buy it.
Some tracks differ in style:
"The magdalene laundries", is less "dark"
"I know my love" is "sunny" but misplaced
"Danny Boy" is one thing apart but not misplaced.... you could fall asleep
and think being in another time.
Sound is not fantastic but good.
Best track: "The magdalene laundries" performed by Jonie Mitchell.
This Cd is for sure not for everybody... maybe not even for me, but I think it
was well spent money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chieftains surprise again - fresh and vivacious voices, 1 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
The collection of super female singers helped making this album something new and again good old Chieftains quality. Sake in the Jar with Akiko Yano is a fine example how they can make something beautiful out of something seemingly incompatible like Japanese and Irish traditional music. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
This album is worth every penny. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I especially love "Danny Boy" with Diana Krall.
Fantastic!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful melancholy 2!, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Chieftains has made music fit more to a party than this. The style here is more sadness, a lot can be played in funerals! But it is so perfect made that you dont need to go to a funeral to cry a bit. Sound and masterring is very good. The audio picture are intencely nice and clear, not overloaded with instruments.

And look at the female featuring list: Joni Mitcell, Corrs, Sinnead O'connor, Lorreena Mckennit, Diana Krall and many others. You dont need to be a fan of Chieftains to love this CD. If you are able to relax, then u can enjoy this record! Its also possible that u turn relaxed when u listen to it!

(strange is that track list shown in amazons prescription shows track 1: Kerry Slide? Because its not written on the CD cover backside and not played in the disc, but all the 14 others are included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware 'The Fiddling Ladies', 9 July 2014
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Writing as an keen but amateur player of the bodhrán, I warn fellow sufferers not to purchase this CD. No matter what you are doing - slicing onions, tending your roses, hanging out the washing - you may be so afflicted by the bug as to grab your drum as soon as 'The Fiddling Ladies' start. It's tragic, likely incurable..but wonderfully addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 30 May 2010
Janice "jan" (Colchester, Engand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
The whole cd is wonderful. I adore Danny Boy and play it several times in one go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous as usual, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
The Chieftains are true artists and have stood the test of time. They make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. Is it any wonder stars all around the world want to make music with them

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
A very haunting album with great contributions from several well know female artists especially " The Magdalene Laundries" with Joni Mitchell.

Tears Of Stone
Tears Of Stone by The Chieftains (Audio CD - 2002)