5.0 out of 5 stars Kenny covers classic songs., 12 Nov 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Always and Forever (Audio CD)
Kenny Rogers has recorded many songs that have become classics including Ruby don't take your love to town, Lucille, The gambler, Coward of the county and many others. This double CD demonstrates Kenny's ability to interpret other classic songs and stamp his own identity on them, although She believes in me, Lady, Through the years and You decorated my life are here to represent his own hits.
The songs here come from a variety of sources and eras. The Great American songbook is represented by As time goes by, Stardust, Always, I only have eyes for you and other great songs. There are a couple of Elvis classics – Love me tender and Can't help falling in love. Endless love, one of the best Motown songs from the eighties, is normally sung as a duet but Kenny's solo rendition is wonderful. I had my doubts when I saw Evergreen listed among the song, but Kenny's version of this Barbra Streisand classic is a good effort although it cannot compete with Barbra's original. Kenny is more suited to country classics like Have I told you lately that I love you, Crazy and I will always love you, or soul classics like When a man loves a woman.
This could hardly be described as an essential album, but Kenny is a versatile performer with a distinctive style and he clearly enjoyed recording these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Kenny, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Always And Forever: 30 ALL TIME CLASSIC LOVE SONGS (Audio CD)
very good selection of songs shows the depth of Kenny's talents. Perfect for relaxing., makes for an ideal gift, too.

Always And Forever: 30 ALL TIME CLASSIC LOVE SONGS
Always And Forever: 30 ALL TIME CLASSIC LOVE SONGS by Kenny Rogers (Audio CD - 1998)